Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Searching for a helmet

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Searching for a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 06:52 PM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Searching for a helmet

Yesterday my favorite touring helmet bit the dust. Nothing dramatic, just one of the plastic straps which make up the inside liner of the helmet snapped beyond repair. Now the helmet doesn't fit as it should and I know it has to be replaced. I had that helmet a long time and got plenty of use out of it, so no complaints from me.

My helmet was a Bell Citi and I absolutely loved it. It was lightweight with a simple rounded shape. There were just enough vents to allow sufficient airflow but still plenty of smooth surface area which I find aesthetically pleasing and less likely to snag should I hit the road. It was one size fits all with an easily adjustable band I could manipulate depending on whether I was wearing a cap beneath it or not. The bill was high enough not to impede my vision and was great for keeping rain out of my eyes. The helmet was a pleasant, basic yellow for added visibility but not a shouting day glow or neon. It was marketed primarily as a commuter helmet but was also great for touring. Unfortunately it has long been phased out otherwise I would simply go get another one.

So today I go out and shop for a new helmet. As I'm visiting bike shops and REI, one question kept popping up in my mind......."When did bicycle helmets get so ugly?" It seems like every helmet was designed to appeal to either the competitive racing cyclist, the gonzo mountain biker or the skateboarding hipster. The vast majority of helmets came only in black, silver or white with a few neon yellows or dark matt finishes. The helmets were literally covered with vents and pointy edges everywhere. There was nothing I found remotely pleasing to my admittedly simple and probably retrogrouch tastes.

I thought I would check with this forum for helmet suggestions. Perhaps you are wearing one that you really like and would recommend. My ideal helmet would be:
  • Simple, rounded shape
  • Generally a solid color (yellow, orange, etc. Bright but not neon)
  • Mostly smooth surface
  • Some venting
  • Detachable bill
  • Easily adjustable headband for universal fitting

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-01-18, 07:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,589 Times in 1,230 Posts
I do not have a specific suggestion for you but I thought this would be a good place to post this recent warning about counterfeit helmets.
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/16/64737...-but-dangerous
Old 10-01-18, 07:53 PM
DeadGrandpa
Not quite dead.

Bikes: ICE Sprint X Tour FS 26 trike

Liked 360 Times in 226 Posts
I think the Specialized helmet is worth a look. Mine, bought two months ago, is silver or gray with a black detachable bill. It fits me very well and was $40 at a bike shop. They might come in white.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 10-01-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 05:53 AM
lax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MEC Skyway

I don't know if you can order one of these outside of Canada, but I have one and it seems to fit your requirements: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-5...Cycling-Helmet
Old 10-02-18, 07:22 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Liked 1,978 Times in 1,138 Posts
And do you want an egg in your beer?

Check out:
Bell Muni - yellow
Bell Hub - white
Bell Stoker - green
Bell 4Forty - red
Bell Sixer - white
Giro Revel - orange
Giro Register - white
Giro Chronicle - blue
Louis Garneau Raid - blue, green
Louis Garneau Raid MIPS - orange
Specialized Ambush Comp - white
Specialized Tactic II MIPS - red
Old 10-02-18, 07:38 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I love my Nutcase helmet, [MENTION=441789]redbagsrambler[/MENTION]

Its comfy. It has a nice magnetic strap which does not catch my beard. It has a detachable bill. Comes in as wild a theme as you can imagine or plain and simple. I chose matte black.
Old 10-05-18, 12:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Bern is another helmet company , the Ski Helmets are good,
When used on the bicycle when it gets cold out..
Old 10-05-18, 06:20 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: QU-AX Uni, United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Liked 430 Times in 259 Posts
It's so important that the helmet suits the bike. My wife hates it when I wear my old M/C novelty helmet and Mechanic gloves....LOL
Old 10-05-18, 10:51 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Liked 1,155 Times in 641 Posts
https://www.giro.com/eu_en/bronte-3.html/
Old 10-06-18, 03:04 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Actually, about 3 years ago, I think, when I went to buy a helmet (hadn't in years), I became quite envious of kids! There was one helmet I REALLY wanted which was white and you could write on it like a dry board. I also liked the lady bug one. And hey, nothing says rebel better than the mohawk helmet! But alas, we're adults and must look as such. Sigh.