Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Repainting classic bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 07:22 AM
fdx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I wonder if anyone here know how to repaint bicycle the way that paint look like its old.
there is something special in look of old paint with gloss fade etc. and you can tell right away this bike is old.
My next project is to build '30s racer tribute bike - a replica of early racer, with derailleur inspired by vittoria margherita and osgear. With some use of modern parts. - aluminium 700c rims will have wood rim glued on the inside to obtain vintage wooden racing rim look.
one of the things I still need to make out is paint job. Just ordered waterslide paper to print out some decals. (how to say ' tribute bicycle' in Italian?)
I dont want paint to look too fresh, too new. but on the other hand I need to clean frame to bare steel to remove old chipped paint and rust out of it. (I have some no-name frame made in 70's or 80's that will do the job.but its in bad condition)
Old 10-10-18, 07:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 549 Posts
Brass wool and scotchbrite pads + lots of gentle elbow grease.
Old 10-10-18, 08:05 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
You can find actual wood rims here: Rims - Wheelbuilder.com

I don't have a project where they would make sense, but for yours they may be just the ticket.
Old 10-10-18, 08:43 AM
fdx

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
You can find actual wood rims here: Rims - Wheelbuilder.com

I don't have a project where they would make sense, but for yours they may be just the ticket.
I know you can buy them... as well you can just buy racer from 1930's ... They are a bit expensive... (one rim would cost more than I want to spend on whole project...)

I was thinking to achieve effect similar to this:

Old 10-10-18, 09:05 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...a lot of the older stuff from the 50's and early 60's I've encountered appears to be painted with lacquer.
(That's just my impression, I'm not an expert on the history of paint.) Some of the lacquers seem more prone to fading of the color in sunlight.

If that the effect you want, do a Google search for paint pigments and fading/colorfastness. The transparent finishes from those years seem to fade a lot, like the flamboyant paint jobs.
Old 10-10-18, 09:36 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by fdx
I wonder if anyone here know how to repaint bicycle the way that paint look like its old.
there is something special in look of old paint with gloss fade etc. and you can tell right away this bike is old.
My next project is to build '30s racer tribute bike - a replica of early racer, with derailleur inspired by vittoria margherita and osgear. With some use of modern parts. - aluminium 700c rims will have wood rim glued on the inside to obtain vintage wooden racing rim look.
one of the things I still need to make out is paint job. Just ordered waterslide paper to print out some decals. (how to say ' tribute bicycle' in Italian?)
I dont want paint to look too fresh, too new. but on the other hand I need to clean frame to bare steel to remove old chipped paint and rust out of it. (I have some no-name frame made in 70's or 80's that will do the job.but its in bad condition)
In terms of the wheels- Velocity came out with aluminum rims painted in "wood" finish a couple years ago. I can't find them in a current catalog, but they'd be worth tracking down:
https://redbarnbicycles.com/velocity-rims-2/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-10-18, 09:43 AM
fdx

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
In terms of the wheels- Velocity came out with aluminum rims painted in "wood" finish a couple years ago. I can't find them in a current catalog, but they'd be worth tracking down:
https://redbarnbicycles.com/velocity-rims-2/
That would look nice... I wonder how tough is that and if rim brakes would not destroy it... for disc brakes its not hard to waterprint wood effect into rims. Anyway. I have some wood veneer to try it on aluminium rims. if that will work. next project will be to cover bike frame with wood veneer instead of painting.
Old 10-11-18, 09:55 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by fdx
That would look nice... I wonder how tough is that and if rim brakes would not destroy it... for disc brakes its not hard to waterprint wood effect into rims. Anyway. I have some wood veneer to try it on aluminium rims. if that will work. next project will be to cover bike frame with wood veneer instead of painting.
I think there were different versions of the rims for use with rim brakes and for not.

I've seen bikes here and there wrapped in rattan strips.

Too bad these guys are out of business: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...d-bike-review/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-13-18, 01:02 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Making it look old -

Use cream instead of white to simulate the yellowing of paint with age.
Use antique color pallet, not a modern pallet. This requires research.
Use original decals, even though they are reproductions.
Do hand-painted pin striping and/or box lining (if authentic to the bike). Modern bikes are devoid of this unless it's part of a decal.
Paint to outline the lugs, then wipe most (but not all) of it off. This simulates accumulation over time.