Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-18, 03:15 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I installed a front brake and drop levers for piece of mind and alternate hand positions. I don't hate the hoods, but I dont love them either. And I purchased a 50T chainring to run 50/15 during the cooler months
Old 10-06-18, 04:03 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
Today I installed a front brake and drop levers for piece of mind and alternate hand positions. I don't hate the hoods, but I dont love them either. And I purchased a 50T chainring to run 50/15 during the cooler months
The angle and placement on the bars can make a pretty big difference in how comfortable your hoods are, so you might want to fiddle with that a little. I recently discovered I like mine a lot more when they're turned up a little bit.
Old 10-06-18, 10:07 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Today I did 50 miles, mostly endurance pace but I had to slam it a couple times when I accidentally went on some narrow sketchy roads that I then wanted to get off of as quick as possible. Didn't get run over and got a couple Strava trophies out of it, so
nice!!!!!! Sounds like a good time
Old 10-06-18, 10:14 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

While I was installing seat post on new build this old cruddy seat post collar cracked! I didn't even have it tight yet... Piece of crud! It wasn't really 'nice' enough for my cheap ass bike anyway I couldn't find one locally that I liked enough to pay money for, so my dumb ass decided it would be a good idea to make one myself.

I'm not going to admit how long it took me to make this stupid thing. Started as a solid chunk of 2.750'' diameter round stock. Turned my inside diameters on the lathe and then roughed the shapes on the manual mill. Finished shaping on belt sander / bench grinder. Hit it with a quick buff and blam! Sounds quick n easy.... or so my thinking was. Prfffft. Then I turned a cap screw to kind of match. Like I said took wayyyyyy too long... and you can tell it wasn't made in a factory somewhere, but I kinda like that. It was fun

Last edited by mouse; 10-07-18 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 11:25 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Today I was on a 7.5 mile Garmin segment with 0.75 mikes to go and 48s better than my personal best. I looked up to make the final pull up the hill to the end. When I looked down at the screen it was dead :-( . I figured that the battery died from my ride yesterday :-( I tried to charge it today and it won't light up :-( :-( Bummer.
Old 10-07-18, 06:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,266 Times in 2,850 Posts
[MENTION=175049]mouse[/MENTION]
I applaud your efforts, so much time to make such an easily available part seems crazy but the end result ain't half bad!

Me personally I would probably go Thomson or Salsa. I have a Promax on my Ti road bike because it was the right size, it was the right color and it was in stock (Hope was out and Salsa I don't think had my size in my color and I forgot who else I looked at)
Old 10-07-18, 06:38 PM
bonsai171

Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse

While I was installing seat post on new build this old cruddy seat post collar cracked! I didn't even have it tight yet... Piece of crud! It wasn't really 'nice' enough for my cheap ass bike anyway I couldn't find one locally that I liked enough to pay money for, so my dumb ass decided it would be a good idea to make one myself.

I'm not going to admit how long it took me to make this stupid thing. Started as a solid chunk of 2.750'' diameter round stock. Turned my inside diameters on the lathe and then roughed the shapes on the manual mill. Finished shaping on belt sander / bench grinder. Hit it with a quick buff and blam! Sounds quick n easy.... or so my thinking was. Prfffft. Then I turned a cap screw to kind of match. Like I said took wayyyyyy too long... and you can tell it wasn't made in a factory somewhere, but I kinda like that. It was fun

That's a bummer! What kind of bar stock did you use?

Dave
Old 10-07-18, 07:11 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse

Sweet. Nice job making a part from scratch.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 10-08-18, 02:57 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today (after I get home) I am fitting to make a commute to the bank to fix my account and to pick up some meds from the pharm.
Old 10-09-18, 12:01 PM
seau grateau

Today I did 20 miles with some standing starts sprinkled about -- after the first one I heard a weird rattling noise coming from the front end of the bike. Pulled over when I realized one of my stem bolts had come loose and was about to fall out. I hope that doesn't happen again. : \
Old 10-09-18, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,823 Posts
Did a couple hours this morning on a standard route I like that includes a 15' climb (Mt Soledad), 10' flat fast effort (Fiesta Island) and 3' leg burner (Linda Vista rd). Hit good power and good times on all my segments. This is supposed to be a local minimum of fitness for me as I'm in the depths and bowels of my off season.

If I can keep this is a baseline for when I start training for real in November things are looking good for next year!
Old 10-09-18, 01:15 PM
phobus

Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
A 15 foot climb? Finally something I can relate to.
Old 10-09-18, 01:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

after checking your location that was good for a chuckle
Old 10-09-18, 01:52 PM
UltraManDan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
The angle and placement on the bars can make a pretty big difference in how comfortable your hoods are, so you might want to fiddle with that a little. I recently discovered I like mine a lot more when they're turned up a little bit.
Thanks man. Angling them up a little bit definitely helped. I rode 32 miles yesterday and stayed on the hoods the whole time and it felt pretty comfy. I got the Tektro RL520A levers and they feel a bit to narrow for my hands, as well as having the lever to far out to comfortably reach. So I am switching them up with some Origin8 Pro Force compact levers that look like the have a wider hand position and an easier to reach lever.

Old 10-09-18, 02:13 PM
phobus

Give the Sram S500 levers a try. The hoods are also on the wider end, and the angle of the lever itself is something I've really come to appreciate. It feels more natural given the way your hand wraps around the hood.

Also FYI, it looks like those Origin8 levers are rebranded Tektro RL340s, not that that's bad thing.
Old 10-09-18, 02:35 PM
seau grateau

Yeah I've heard good things about the SRAM levers. I used to use Cane Creek levers a while back too, which were also on the wider side.
Old 10-09-18, 04:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Two photos for reference. SRAM S500 levers on top and S900 levers on bottom. They are the same form factor but different material.

The levers do angle outward and it is very comfortable.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-09-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 05:08 PM
UltraManDan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only problem with the SRAM levers is the price. Best I found was 65 for the pair and that's a little steep for me. I went with a SRAM Apex front brake and I have the SRAM S300 crankset, so it would be a nice match, but the Origin8's were only 30 for the pair and I am hopeful that the "compact" size makes a noticeable difference. An initial mock up seems good so far. Waiting on new bar tape to arrive to install. I'll post pics of course when done.

edit** - Also, I don't believe the SRAM levers have a return spring and I am only running a front brake atm. So I'd have to get creative with the left lever.

Last edited by UltraManDan; 10-09-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 06:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

a rubber band works fine. I've done this before with the Sram levers when only running a front brake. Now I just run dual brakes which is easier
Old 10-09-18, 06:45 PM
phobus

The only problem with the SRAM levers is the price. Best I found was 65 for the pair and that's a little steep for me.
True. Mine were already on the bike when I got it. But I think this is one of those "buy once, cry once" kind of things.

edit** - Also, I don't believe the SRAM levers have a return spring and I am only running a front brake atm. So I'd have to get creative with the left lever.
Also true. I run them with just a front brake; the unused lever has a short piece of cable installed so it's not completely free to flop around.
Old 10-09-18, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,266 Times in 2,850 Posts
A huge mega ultra +1 for the ScRAM levers. Best damn drop bar brake levers mine hands have ever touched so much that I have used them on two bikes and just bought and installed another set for the new Langsterio and would happily spec them on my Co-Motion if Gevenalle would make a shift lever attachment for them.

Yes they do cost money but they are a super comfortable and ergonomic place to put your hands. They are modern whereas most of the other levers (except TRP I guess) are all kind of olde schoole and have that down tube shifter vibe which isn't a bad vibe but the levers just are as comfortable and when that is where I keep my hands most of the time I want comfort.

If you aren't running brakes in the rear, the best solution is to just do it. However if you are deadset on not having the rear brake because some cool kid said no then you can get the Problem Solver Cable Doubler to which you can run two levers into one brake or vice verse:
BR3342 Problem Solvers Cable Doubler 2:1 Two Levers for One Brake. Your local bike shop might either have one in stock or can order you one quite easily if they are a QBP dealer which probably most would be unless they are crazy.
Old 10-11-18, 12:11 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I made a custom neck tube badge for the clunker, I have it bent to the radius of the neck tube diameter and polished up, but forgot to snap a pic. I’ll take one tomorrow when I get it mounted to the frame.

But for the real fun! I got to take her out on our first date this morning! Rides pretty good for an old anchor pieced together for about $100. I’m changing the rear cog tomorrow as ~83 gear inches proved to be a little tiring by the end of the ride. I’m not as tough as I used to be. Gonna drop down to ~72 and see how it feels.
Some things need slight adjustment still but that’s how she goes. Really enjoyed building this bike for the 4th or so time
Gonna throw on a set of gators I have. The old freedom branded thick’s bring back memories, but? I’ll have to feel the difference I guess

On a a side note tomorrow is my Bday and I’m looking to treat myself. I’ve been looking at frame sets for my next build, but nothing is jumping out. I miss my old 722 leader a lot, so if anyone has any suggestions holler! Any leads on nice components too!

I was going to start a frame build, but I think I want to build up a nicer bike before I jump into that, then I can transfer most of the nicer components to my custom frame.

Also, the golden appearance on the rear wheel is just the sun reflection

Last edited by mouse; 10-11-18 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 10:56 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
..delete..

Last edited by mouse; 10-12-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:35 AM
UltraManDan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I installed the front brake and levers and re-wrapped the bars. I like these levers a lot better than the Tektro 520's. I know, I know.. The SRAM levers are better still, but these will serve my purposes well enough.

Old 10-12-18, 09:59 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I like these levers a lot better than the Tektro 520's.
The 520s are not very ergonomic IMO, bad design. The 340s feel pretty good in the hands but not the best looking levers out there, but that's not important if they're comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.