Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

lezyne super gps vs elemnt bolt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

lezyne super gps vs elemnt bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 12:30 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had the Super GPS for about 2 years. The read crumbs mentioned previously is true. Although I have never measured the battery life, I would guess it is over 20 hours. It's the best I have used to date. Rain or shine it has never had any sync issues.
My only issue with it is I can't get it to measure distance. Speed and cadence are fine though. I am not sure if it is a user issue or system issue. Unfortunate I do not know anybody else who has one to assist with and the support is terrible.
For the price it is a good unit, especially if the distance ever measured. Speed and cadence are more important to me so It has. Not bothered me enough to get a new one.
Old 10-15-18, 01:44 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
If you value being able to take out your phone, open the Lezyne app, and quickly enter a location for it to take you to with multiple course options, I highly recommend the Lezyne. Wahoo is cool, it does have a map, but it's wayyyyy more annoying to load routes to it, and there's no doing it mid-ride, there's also no recalculation if you want to take a detour like Lezyne has. Not to mention, Lezyne can display basically all the same information and do the live segments. If you ask for my vote between the two, I definitely vote for the Lezyne, I do however use a Garmin 820, but have owned and used a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, Garmin 520, and a Lezyne Micro C Gps.
Old 10-15-18, 04:43 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
If you value being able to take out your phone, open the Lezyne app, and quickly enter a location for it to take you to with multiple course options, I highly recommend the Lezyne. Wahoo is cool, it does have a map, but it's wayyyyy more annoying to load routes to it, and there's no doing it mid-ride, there's also no recalculation if you want to take a detour like Lezyne has. Not to mention, Lezyne can display basically all the same information and do the live segments. If you ask for my vote between the two, I definitely vote for the Lezyne, I do however use a Garmin 820, but have owned and used a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, Garmin 520, and a Lezyne Micro C Gps.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Wahoo does in fact have a simple "take me here" on-the-fly route generator. I use it all the time. Just open the app and you can select anywhere on the map, and Wahoo will create a bike friendly route to your destination. Completely separate from loading routes. Most people who load routes do it ahead of time anyway. If you are in a pinch and need to find a way back somewhere, Wahoo most certainly has that option.
Old 10-15-18, 04:53 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Don't have the Lezyne, but my impressions of the Bolt are all very positive. Responding to your requirements, I don't see anything there that the Bolt cannot do. Not sure about direct upload to Dropbox I don't do that, but I'm 99% sure it can do that. As far as I know, you can have a power reading (of which there are a vast number of options) on the map screen, but the box for that information on the map screen page is quite small. But the Wahoo does have a colored set of LEDs on the top that light up in different colors and number of dots illuminated, based on your power zone (kind of a gimmick, but it provides nominal value). Don't know what you consider long battery life, but it's much shorter than my 500 was. I have to charge it more frequently than my old Garmin. Certainly should last you for any given daily ride, but may not last a week if you ride long hours every day. It's pretty water resistant, I've used it in pouring rain many times without issue. It's extremely customizeable, you can configure any number of screens with all kinds of data. Even tracks VAM data, though it's only real-time. I wish there were other VAM metrics, like average VAM lap, average VAM last lap, VAM over a certain time period, etc. When I'm not riding a bike with a power meter, VAM is very helpful for climbing speed/power.

My biggest gripe is the lack of being able to set elevation. Should be an incredibly easy thing to do, but for some reason, Wahoo doesn't have that feature. My starting elevation can be hundreds of feet off to start, no idea why. It's precise, but lacks accuracy at times. Should just add in an option to set a known elevation point, like all Garmins do, so my ride profiles are correct.
Old 10-15-18, 05:43 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
It'll upload directly to dropbox.

I can't remember exactly but after about 10 hours or so I've gotten it down to about 10% or less. But it can be charged while in use.
Old 10-15-18, 07:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 392 Posts
The Super GPS's cost is 60% of the Element Bolt's, maybe 70% of the closeout 520's and 54% of the 520 Plus's. It's hard to expect the same functionality for that much less money.

I've been looking seriously at the Super GPS, because there seem to be some good buys on eBay. As far as I can tell, and assuming we're comparing specific units that work as specified, the Super GPS beats the functionality of competitors like Bryton 530 or 450 (which seems to be unavailable), the Polar M460 (really small screen), and IGPSport igs50 or igs618, all of which are priced higher than the Lezyne in the US and lack some of the functionality. (Admittedly, you can buy the Bryton or IGPSport for a good deal less if you buy from China via eBay and wait weeks for delivery and are willing to go without support.)

If you're looking at he Element Bolt, I suggest looking at Lezyne's newest GPSes ($200), which include OSM's maps and bigger screens than the Super or Bolt.

There may be relatively less action on Bolts than on Super GPSes on eBay. We just missed some supposedly new 520s at less than $100. I'm not sure how significant that is.

Meanwhile, I can't see buying a GPS unit without good mapping, and I can't see needing good mapping for my type of riding or budget. My temporizing solution is to get Wahoo's speed/cadence sensor (very cheap at Performance today) and TICKR HRM and pair them with an old phone.

Last edited by philbob57; 10-15-18 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 09:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Oh, I hooked up a lipstick battery to the Bolt & it easily handled an 18 hr ride.
Old 10-16-18, 04:57 AM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
On my bolt, after a century (6.5 hrs) it was around 40% battery. Commuting every day (33 mile round trip) Its usually recharged once a week and is in the low teens after ~12 hours of riding.

Routes are easy to put on it via Komoot but I haven't tried to do it except at home
Old 10-16-18, 06:38 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I have had the Super GPS for about 2 years. The read crumbs mentioned previously is true. Although I have never measured the battery life, I would guess it is over 20 hours. It's the best I have used to date. Rain or shine it has never had any sync issues.
My only issue with it is I can't get it to measure distance. Speed and cadence are fine though. I am not sure if it is a user issue or system issue. Unfortunate I do not know anybody else who has one to assist with and the support is terrible.
For the price it is a good unit, especially if the distance ever measured. Speed and cadence are more important to me so It has. Not bothered me enough to get a new one.
I have mine displaying distance on one of my pages. It displays it for the current ride being recorded, and will keep that distance showing untili start the next recording I believe. It can also didn't trip distance 1 and trip distance 2, both which need to be reset when you want them to be.

To the op: u think you might be thinking about the new Lezyne GPS, which does display, and offers offline maps as well.
Old 10-16-18, 08:05 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
The Super GPS's cost is 60% of the Element Bolt's, maybe 70% of the closeout 520's and 54% of the 520 Plus's. It's hard to expect the same functionality for that much less money.

I've been looking seriously at the Super GPS, because there seem to be some good buys on eBay. As far as I can tell, and assuming we're comparing specific units that work as specified, the Super GPS beats the functionality of competitors like Bryton 530 or 450 (which seems to be unavailable), the Polar M460 (really small screen), and IGPSport igs50 or igs618, all of which are priced higher than the Lezyne in the US and lack some of the functionality. (Admittedly, you can buy the Bryton or IGPSport for a good deal less if you buy from China via eBay and wait weeks for delivery and are willing to go without support.)

If you're looking at he Element Bolt, I suggest looking at Lezyne's newest GPSes ($200), which include OSM's maps and bigger screens than the Super or Bolt.

There may be relatively less action on Bolts than on Super GPSes on eBay. We just missed some supposedly new 520s at less than $100. I'm not sure how significant that is.

Meanwhile, I can't see buying a GPS unit without good mapping, and I can't see needing good mapping for my type of riding or budget. My temporizing solution is to get Wahoo's speed/cadence sensor (very cheap at Performance today) and TICKR HRM and pair them with an old phone.
I like your comment, but I seem to miss you recommendation to what unit you would suggest? Cheers
Old 10-16-18, 08:19 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 392 Posts
I like your comment, but I seem to miss you recommendation to what unit you would suggest?
Since I have no experience with any of these units, I can't make a recommendation. If I had to buy one right now, I'd buy one of the loaded (HRM and speed/cadence sensor) Super GPSes offered on ebay for $130. I think I'd like one of the new Lezynes with OSM on board at $220 (sales tax), but that's a lot more than I want to spend. If my budget stretched to a Bolt, though, I'd be on the phone with Lezyne and Wahoo to get more info, especially about how maps are displayed and how routing is done.

I do need something right now because my wired bike odometer-speedometer popped out of it's holder on a recent ride. I'm obsessed with tracking my mileage, and I'd like to monitor my heart rate, so it's sensors and my phone for now.
Old 10-16-18, 12:36 PM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I have mine displaying distance on one of my pages. It displays it for the current ride being recorded, and will keep that distance showing untili start the next recording I believe. It can also didn't trip distance 1 and trip distance 2, both which need to be reset when you want them to be.

To the op: u think you might be thinking about the new Lezyne GPS, which does display, and offers offline maps as well.
did you have to do anything special to get it to register distance? Perhaps mine is just a dud.
Old 10-16-18, 03:59 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

did you have to do anything special to get it to register distance? Perhaps mine is just a dud.
I have to start recording the ride. If i don't hit the record button it will not track distance, elevation, or average anything.
Old 10-16-18, 09:04 PM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to start recording the ride. If i don't hit the record button it will not track distance, elevation, or average anything.
interesting. I would be happy to know its operator error. I'll see if that makes a difference on mine.
Old 10-16-18, 09:38 PM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

interesting. I would be happy to know its operator error. I'll see if that makes a difference on mine.
If you have the updated the firmware there should be a warning when you start riding. Something like "Movement Detected. Would you like to record your ride". If you haven't updated the firmware, I'd recommend it.
Old 10-17-18, 04:46 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
Once I bought my Wahoo Bolt, I put away my LezyneS, and my Sigma ROX 11.0, and never looked back.

Bolt is easier to read, more intuitive by a mile. The data from the Sigma is the best, bar none. For training the Sigma app is fantastic, but direction, routes, visibilty at night, the Sigma is terrible. My Lezynes aren't good at anything, except I use my Lezyne Micro as a speedometer and as a clock. Not good for anything else.
Old 10-18-18, 09:09 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i decided on bolt. the extra $140 should be worth the extra convenience and features that it offers for the next 4 years (hopefully more).
Old 10-20-18, 10:30 PM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I downloaded the newest firmware and just like that it is displaying distance. I was so stoked.
Old 10-21-18, 02:14 AM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I downloaded the newest firmware and just like that it is displaying distance. I was so stoked.
Old 10-21-18, 01:18 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
Here is a link on another forum comparing the Wahoo Element to the Garmin 520. I was surprised that most prefer the 520. BTW, I own the 520 and I got 10 hours battery life with a colored map.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt or Garmin 520 Plus

I just read that thread and did not notice a preference for the 520.