Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are you seeing road cycling clubs on paved paths?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Are you seeing road cycling clubs on paved paths?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 09:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,159 Times in 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
My still biggest worry on our MUPs are the idiot peds who insist on deafening them selves with their headphones and then walk Willy nilly all over the path. Coming up on these guys from behind is a challenge!
You forgot to mention the golden retriever they're walking on a 20' retractable lead.

Riding fast towards geese while growling and barking will usually scatter them...
Old 10-12-18, 08:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,015 Times in 1,710 Posts
Be careful of geese during mating season and when they have goslings. They can attack.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-12-18, 03:31 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, I ride in one of those groups sometimes. I (and others) yell at the leaders to go slow and be respectful on the MUP. On the open road we can open it up, but not on a MUP. Its a a constant battle with guys with too much testosterone who think a club ride is a race.

Same thing on the road - some people swarm cars at red lights. Geeze - if we can just leave them alone and let them go first (i.e. not ride around them and then block the road when the light turns green). Its a constant battle with those with small p*n*ses and too much adrenaline.

Personally I try to be respectful on MUPs and for the road - I go to the back of the light and draft off the traffic as long as I can. ;-)
Old 10-12-18, 03:45 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
A well designed MUP should be able to support and sustain all types of cyclists. If it doens't don't blame the cycling club, blame the designers and your elected official. BTW, cycling was the impetus for the MUP in the first place.
Old 10-12-18, 03:57 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckjgc
Many of us commute on MUPs to avoid traffic. Now early morning road sessions are on the MUPs in my neck of the woods. Curious if this is a growing thing.

Around here, we have a central riverfront path system that makes an excellent commuter network, depending on where one is going.

The path essentially radiates out of a central park.

The local GEARS cycling club frequently meets at the park which is a convenient meeting spot. Then rides the first couple of miles along the bike path before hopping on to streets and heading towards rural roads.

They aren't doing loops on the paths... simply using them as bike commuter paths just like you are doing.

Hopefully the riders are courteous of other path users. At least that is generally the case with the older cycling groups. I don't know about the younger cycling groups.
Old 10-13-18, 09:29 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
A well designed MUP should be able to support and sustain all types of cyclists. If it doens't don't blame the cycling club, blame the designers and your elected official. BTW, cycling was the impetus for the MUP in the first place.
In my area the federal and state legislation for MUPs was officially intended to create bicycle *commuting* pathways as an alternative to driving. Recreational riding and dog-walking were considered to be secondary benefits. I look at both dogwalkers and roadies on the MUP as potential hazards during my commutes, and for different reasons.
Old 10-14-18, 11:09 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My opinion is MUP is more analogous to sidewalk than street. Pedestrians should have reasonable expectation they won't be taken out by fast moving vehicle. While I have yet to see a direct hit, I've seen numerous near hits to a degree if I were the pedestrian I would think twice about coming back. Particularly among the very young and elderly. Cyclists are constantly taking high speed risks painting the yellow line between groups in opposing directions, rather than waiting for proper opening. I think parents should make a concerted effort to teach awareness, but kids occasionally stray, that what kids do. Parents shouldn't need to worry they're endangering their kids by talking a walk on a nice trail; or helping to instill confidence with the training wheels off their own bikes.

And to the primary point of OP yes I've seen pace lines flying down the MUP...

Last edited by gear64; 10-14-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
When I was in Jr. High or High School, I joined the school cycling club. And, one of the things they decided to do was to have a bicycle race along the MUP.

Outwardly, it would seem like a great idea, but even as a kid, after the race, I realized how absolutely stupid the whole concept of sending a bunch of kids out to race flat out along the MUP was.

On the other hand, years later, I did a DRT cargo bike race that used the central park as hub & spoke for race. While the route wasn't specified, several of the spokes naturally went out along the bike path... and that was much more mellow than I had experienced as a kid.
Old 10-14-18, 02:23 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by gear64
My opinion is MUP is more analogous to sidewalk than street. Pedestrians should have reasonable expectation they won't be taken out by fast moving vehicle. While I have yet to see a direct hit, I've seen numerous near hits to a degree if I were the pedestrian I would think twice about coming back. Particularly among the very young and elderly. Cyclists are constantly taking high speed risks painting the yellow line between groups in opposing directions, rather than waiting for proper opening. I think parents should make a concerted effort to teach awareness, but kids occasionally stray, that what kids do. Parents shouldn't need to worry they're endangering their kids by talking a walk on a nice trail; or helping to instill confidence with the training wheels off their own bikes.

And to the primary point of OP yes I've seen pace lines flying down the MUP...
The only place a parent should have that expectation is on the playground. On the MUP, ALL adults are equally responsible for their own safety. As for kids safety, even a slow moving cyclist/jogger can cause injury if inattentive parents aren't doing their job.
Old 10-17-18, 07:34 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The only place a parent should have that expectation is on the playground. On the MUP, ALL adults are equally responsible for their own safety. As for kids safety, even a slow moving cyclist/jogger can cause injury if inattentive parents aren't doing their job.
Slow-moving joggers and cyclists have time to safely react to changing circumstances, fast moving cyclists in close quarters do not.

We all know that *in theory* dog-walkers, children and the elderly should be held to the straight-and-narrow, but let's be real about the risks that crop up when we are dealing with the unwashed masses on a trail.
Old 10-17-18, 09:22 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Slow-moving joggers and cyclists have time to safely react to changing circumstances, fast moving cyclists in close quarters do not.

We all know that *in theory* dog-walkers, children and the elderly should be held to the straight-and-narrow, but let's be real about the risks that crop up when we are dealing with the unwashed masses on a trail.
On the other hand, every zoo animal has its own enclosure. Also, if my car breaks down, I move it to the side of the road. Living in the 21st century, has its perks.
Old 10-17-18, 10:02 AM
Harhir 

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3, HP Velotechnik Scorpion

Liked 143 Times in 76 Posts
We don't have dedicated bike paths out area. Only multi use paths used by cyclists, pedestrians, joggers and people walking their dogs and and there is an official speed limit of 15 mph on these trails. Often they are narrow and with sharp bends and can get slippery when wet. So no I have never seen a cycling club using these because they can't ride fast on these. I am more annoyed with pedestrians walking or jogging in the middle of these paths who are wearing ear plugs or headsets with music on. You can ring and shout and they still don't hear you.
Old 10-17-18, 10:27 AM
KraneXL

Its rare to see cyclist on dedicated pedestrian paths, and in congested areas there's a monitor there to tell you to dismount. Pedestrians on the other hand, routinely walk wherever they want and typically use the dedicated bike lane (on streets) as expanded sidewalk. To make things worse, they just jump in without even looking.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-17-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 10:37 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 638 Times in 484 Posts
In my neck of the woods, nearly every "road" bike club looks to be using the regular paved streets.

The "paths" are where some commuters go, where slower cyclists go, and where the multi-use others (pedestrians, folks walking dogs, skateboarders, etc) go.

Seems the proper way to use the paths, around here. Faster folks are where the cars are; slower folks tend toward the MUPs when MUPs are available. Works well.

In some of the larger parks, there are some very wide, purpose-built MUPs designed for a greater number of cyclists, and many of those appear to easily deal with somewhat faster-moving cyclists.

If there were vastly more MUPs around, I suppose it'd be far more usual to see "group" cyclists and faster-moving cyclists using such paths. But, there aren't.
Old 10-17-18, 11:50 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haven't seen any clubs or even packs bigger than 5 or so on the MUP I use 5 days a week, but have been seeing a lot more users as cost-of-living situations in other cities makes my city more and more attractive.

Lots of distracted and otherwise careless users these days. The worst is a new nerdy dude on a motorized skateboard who flies along the path at around 30 mph. Anything with an motor is prohibited on the trail.

Last edited by nayr497; 10-17-18 at 12:01 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-17-18, 12:00 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh, really, really hate the fact that other people on bikes don't observe the obvious rule of...If you side of the trail, as demarcated by a lane line, is block, YOU need to wait. I should have to brake while you pass them by using the wrong lane. Motorists are bad enough, really hate it when someone else on a bike is also a threat.

This morning I had a dude in a Prius WITH a bike rack on the car pass me FAR too closely on a double parked city street. Oh man, I have a special hatred in my heart for people pretending to a) care about the environment b) ride bicycles...who are just as bad as every other aggressive motorist out there!
Old 10-17-18, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Nope, not here..
Old 10-17-18, 02:39 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by nayr497
Ugh, really, really hate the fact that other people on bikes don't observe the obvious rule of...If you side of the trail, as demarcated by a lane line, is block, YOU need to wait. I should have to brake while you pass them by using the wrong lane. Motorists are bad enough, really hate it when someone else on a bike is also a threat.

This morning I had a dude in a Prius WITH a bike rack on the car pass me FAR too closely on a double parked city street. Oh man, I have a special hatred in my heart for people pretending to a) care about the environment b) ride bicycles...who are just as bad as every other aggressive motorist out there!
That's where you need to "take the lane" to prevent that.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Nope, not here..
On trails like that away from the beaten path you get rid of all the baby stroller/soccer moms, dog walkers and kids. Your only challenge will be the rare distance runner, and other cyclist.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-17-18 at 02:43 PM.