Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Watches vs Computers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 02:04 PM
thesketh
The Jeweler

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my girlfriend has been asking me for Christmas ideas so I have been wanting to get either a watch or computer to star tracking my stats. She is a marathon runner and has a Garmin watch that tracks heart rate and distance, avg speed, and all of that good stuff. I have been looking at the Wahoo BOLT bike computer but I would also like something to measure my heart rate and possibly cadence (Wahoo sells a package deal for all of this). My questions is what does everyone use and what do they prefer or if they like a combination of the two (watch and computer)? TIA!
Old 11-19-18, 02:09 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have a Garmin watch with optical HR that broadcasts to the computer via Ant+
Old 11-19-18, 02:10 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have both, but I only use my bike computer (Garmin 820) for bike stuff. If I'm going hard on the bike, it's easy to look at my numbers on the Garmin 820. I just glimpse down. Looking at the watch requires twisting my arm around and taking my eye away from where I'm going.
Old 11-19-18, 02:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I use a Garmin 500. It does GPS and it collects data from my HR strap and power meter. As for a watch, I have a Fortis B-42. All it does is tell time.
Old 11-19-18, 03:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I used to have a bike specific computer, I got a GPS watch, no longer have the bike comp, and really don't miss it. It's not as ideal on the bike but more than makes up for it in versatility.
Old 11-19-18, 08:34 PM
teutoned
Sage Member

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
If you’re into multi-sports, go watch. Cycling only? Go computer. I have suunto spartan ultra. For cycling, I have small piece of pipe insulation on my handlebar for the watch. If it on your wrist when riding you’ll have trouble just like Fast Fred above does.

My my wife does a lot of tri. She had many problems with Garmin Watch. Buttons stop working after a couple of months. Send it in for repair. Same problem after a couple of months. Switched to Suunto. No problems. I’ve had no problems with mine either.
Old 11-19-18, 09:05 PM
Planemaker

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I've got both. I use the Garmin 1000 as my "Heads Up Display" as I'm riding but, use the Garmin Forerunner 935 to upload all of my data to Garmin Connect because, the watch strings the entire day together.

FYI - Not everyone gets great results with wrist heart rate monitor (I do) so, I actually use a chest heart rate monitor and pair it with both the 1000 and 935.
FWIW - The Forerunner gets awesome battery life (over 24 hours with the GPS running and over two weeks without).
Old 11-19-18, 09:58 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 494 Times in 387 Posts
I have a Bolt with the Wahoo speed/cadence sensors and an older Garmin HR strap. About 5 years ago I used a Garmin watch strapped to the bars to do a big climb, with that same HR monitor.

I much prefer the Bolt.
Old 11-19-18, 10:22 PM
ebow3d

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I use a Garmin Edge 510 for the bike, and Fenix 5x for everything else. I find the watch display too small to read at my age.
Its nice to have both Garmin devices so that they upload to the same app, as oppose to a Wahoo for your bike, then some other watch for everything else and they upload to different apps.
Old 11-19-18, 11:31 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a Fenix 5 I use for running and occasionally record a bike ride. I use a 520 on the bike. If I'm using the watch I don't usually look at it so it's useless for navigation. I find the wrist HR is useless for running or cycling. It provides a general idea but is very slow to react and doesn't always go in the right direction with changes in intensity. I like the 520 for the bike. It's a decent size and has everything I need.
Old 11-20-18, 10:03 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by thesketh
So my girlfriend has been asking me for Christmas ideas so I have been wanting to get either a watch or computer to star tracking my stats. She is a marathon runner and has a Garmin watch that tracks heart rate and distance, avg speed, and all of that good stuff. I have been looking at the Wahoo BOLT bike computer but I would also like something to measure my heart rate and possibly cadence (Wahoo sells a package deal for all of this). My questions is what does everyone use and what do they prefer or if they like a combination of the two (watch and computer)? TIA!
You can get a bike computer (Bolt or otherwise) that does everything your GF's watch does and more. The good thing is that you have a bicycle you can mount it to; she doesn't have something to mount her watch to other than her arm.
Old 11-20-18, 10:12 AM
thesketh
The Jeweler

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
You can get a bike computer (Bolt or otherwise) that does everything your GF's watch does and more. The good thing is that you have a bicycle you can mount it to; she doesn't have something to mount her watch to other than her arm.
That's what I was thinking since I will be using this for cycling only, I don't run or do any other exercise so the Bolt is such a great option plus the Bontrager built in cadence/speed sensors into my Trek bike seem like a good duo that will handle everything.
Old 11-20-18, 10:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I use an ELEMNT Bolt and have been super super happy with it. Not only does it connect to all my sensors for the stats, I can also control my Smart Trainer with it (manually).

You will have people on both sides of the fence in terms of brand. I would advise you to watch comparison videos on YouTube and make up your own mind on what features/capability/real world use, or lack thereof are important to you.
Old 11-20-18, 10:39 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 520 and a Garmin 235. I've used both for cycling and prefer the Edge hands down. The Edge just mounts nicer on my bike and provides more information in an easier to read format.

The 235 is great for running and other activities. If you're planning to just cycling from time to time, but will spend most of your time running, hiking, doing weights, etc. I'd go for the 235. Otherwise a dedicated bike computer it is.
Old 11-20-18, 10:47 AM
drewguy

Originally Posted by thesketh
That's what I was thinking since I will be using this for cycling only, I don't run or do any other exercise so the Bolt is such a great option plus the Bontrager built in cadence/speed sensors into my Trek bike seem like a good duo that will handle everything.
That's exactly what I have, and it's worked well for me. I previously used a Garmin Edge 25, and that also worked well, although it's more limited in what it can do. As to brand, I think Garmin and Wahoo are both very good. DC Rainmaker has comparisons on his site. One benefit of Wahoo I think is that it's designed to play well with more other websites than Garmin, which seems to be more of a closed system (you can upload data but not share so easily with other sites). That may or may not matter to you.
Old 11-20-18, 02:59 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have a fitbit with gps and heart rate. It's good as an activity tracker. The HR monitor sucks compared to my Wahoo Tickr. I think optical wrist HR is less accurate and definitely less accurate when I'm doing anything active because it's effected by movement of my wrist. Maybe Garmin is better then Fitbit but I know my readings on Fitbit vs Tickr can be vastly different. I'm currently using Wahoo Tickr, speed and cadence sensors with my phone
Old 11-20-18, 08:18 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Bike computer. I used a Garmin watch for a few years and didn't think I needed a bike computer. I was wrong. I got an Element Bolt about about 14 months ago and will never got back to a watch. The bigger screen allows me to see more while I'm riding. Maps for uploaded routes are a very convenient.
Old 11-20-18, 08:23 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a runner and cyclist and I keep them separate.
Garmin Forerunner for running and a Lezyne Super GPS for the bike.
i like looking down at my handlebars while on the bike. The watch is a pain. Plus I can see speed, cadence and distance on the same screen. If money is an issue go with the watch. If not, get both.
Old 11-20-18, 08:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
I used to use a Polar watch with bike and HR sensors. Now I use a Garmin Edge for the bike and a Polar watch for everything else: running, gym, skiing, hiking, etc. That's a big improvement, but more money. The Garmin maps and ability to follow a route are a big deal.
Old 11-21-18, 01:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

GF's watch can count laps in the pool and reps in the weight room. Bike computer can't do everything the watch can. That stuff may or may not be useful to different folks, but it's not accurate to say an Edge or Bolt has all of the functionality of a watch.
Old 11-21-18, 01:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

That's exactly what I have, and it's worked well for me. I previously used a Garmin Edge 25, and that also worked well, although it's more limited in what it can do. As to brand, I think Garmin and Wahoo are both very good. DC Rainmaker has comparisons on his site. One benefit of Wahoo I think is that it's designed to play well with more other websites than Garmin, which seems to be more of a closed system (you can upload data but not share so easily with other sites). That may or may not matter to you.
For what it's worth, you can go into the settings in Garmin Connect and have them automatically send the file to Strava, MFP, and whoever else as soon as they get it.
Old 11-21-18, 07:02 AM
drewguy

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
GF's watch can count laps in the pool and reps in the weight room. Bike computer can't do everything the watch can. That stuff may or may not be useful to different folks, but it's not accurate to say an Edge or Bolt has all of the functionality of a watch.
True - I meant that with respect to cycling uses.
Old 11-21-18, 12:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
Polar is in its own world, although some websites, like TrainingPeaks, will accept Polar data. Everyone else is supposed to live in the .FIT file world and thus those files should be importable into any website or software other than Polar. That said, there's a current screwup going on between .FIT formats, FIT 1 and FIT 2. Some equipment now creates FIT 2 files which don't import into some websites or software.which only accept Fit 1 files. I haven't encountered this problem since my Edge 800 uses old firmware, though problems with Wahoo files produced by new firmware have been noticed. I doubt that we'll see any problems with Garmin devices. There's a FIT File Repair Tool that fixes FIT 2 files for import.