Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rim recommendation for Sunshine 5345 Hubs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 10:16 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I picked up a donor bike that has Sunshine 5345 36 hole hubs with 27-1/4 rims. I'd like to give wheel-building a go, and I was thinking these hubs would be a good candidate for lacing to 700 rims. I need some guidance on rim options given the quality of the hubs and my beginner experience. The cups & cones look to be in very good shape.

I only have one decent C&V wheelset circa '81 Sunshine ProAm/Ukai 700x25c, so ,it would nice to have another option. Cost isn't an issue within reason and I haven't got a preference to vintage versus new rims. I'm wondering if maybe a wider rim for bigger tires would be good in case I want a setup for riding stone paths. I'm 90% a road rider. 190lbs.
Old 12-07-18, 10:32 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Given the cost of spokes and new rims, I would really look into finding nicer hubs first. Those Sunshine 5345 hubs were their low end, commodity hub used for cheap Japanese bikes. Their cones aren't that durable (Sadly, a trait shared with the Pro Am hubs), and the cups are just pressed steel (not too smooth.) This is in contrast to the Pro Am hubs you have, which were their top of the line, Campagnolo Record knockoffs. If you want to stay Japanese, another set of Pro Am, or even better first generation Dura Ace aren't too spendy, and would make for a much nicer finished wheelset. ( I love the Pro Am hubs, but the Dura Ace hubs are a little better machined, plus the cones don't seem to pit as easily.)

As for spokes, Dan's Comp - a BMX mailorder outfit is hard to beat. They sell cut and threaded to length Sapim double butted stainless spokes + nipples for about .60c each. They usually ship within a day or two, and I haven't had a problem out of maybe 500 spokes over the years. Here is the link: Dans Comp - Sapim spokes
Old 12-07-18, 10:40 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I forgot to mention rims -- There are a number of vintage appropriate rims still being made. On the cheaper end, the Sun CR18 is a popular choice. Not quite period correct, but quite strong and easy to work with. I've never had a problem with one, but you hear reports of roundness issues from time to time. On the upper end, the SON H+ TB-14 is a wonderful, vintage looking rim. Kind of pricey, but builds up very smoothly, and is reported to be very durable. I built a set up last year, but only have a few hundred miles on that bike.

Or, better yet - take the plunge and build it up as a tubular wheelset for the true vintage experience. Modern sealants have made tubulars attractive again, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of lighter wheels, more supple tires, and better safety (front blowouts aren't so scary, as the tire stays glued to the rim.) I ride tubulars on all my "good" bikes. (Mostly Veloflex Vlaanderen tires - cheap tubulars aren't worth the hassle.)
Old 12-07-18, 03:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
... Those Sunshine 5345 hubs were their low end, commodity hub used for cheap Japanese bikes. Their cones aren't that durable (Sadly, a trait shared with the Pro Am hubs), and the cups are just pressed steel (not too smooth.) This is in contrast to the Pro Am hubs you have, which were their top of the line, Campagnolo Record knockoffs...
To be clear, 5345 was the Sunshine JIS code. It is not a model number. You can find it on any Sunshine hub from a certain period (late 70's-80's).

The large flange hubs in OP's photo are pretty nice, in my opinion. They definitely made cheaper ones.
Old 12-07-18, 03:46 PM
ed4406

Bikes: Fuji Finest, Trek 460, 970, Miyata One Ten, Maruishi 606, Univega Alpina Uno LX, Browning Grade V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just salvaged a pair of wheels with those hubs as they are my favorite inexpensive hubs. Thousands of miles on a similar set and the cups and cones still look great and run tight and smooth. Good luck with your build!
Old 12-07-18, 04:15 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Best bang for your buck for old hubs is a set of Sun CR-18 rims. I've gotten a couple pairs from BikeWagon on eBay because they offer free shipping. Sturdy, no-nonsense, and polished They aren't the most refined and are a bit sensitive to true, but they are eyeletted and very strong.