Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Probably a chain issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Probably a chain issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 02:29 PM
Bozin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably a chain issue

Hi guys,
my bike (Bixs core 700 EQ ) was running great until i cleaned the chain ( Shimano CN-HG 40) with a degreaser and oil it with wet lube. Now its grinding like it has some sand stones in it , that it picks up during the rides. I tried to clean it once again and again and again... but it just doesnt go away. The local mechanic says that it would eventualy go away if i dont cleaned for a while. It doesnt look like the chain is worn out. The bike ir running great but this grinding its just anoying on the long rides. I am thankfull for your advices and opinions.
Old 01-12-19, 04:12 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The degreaser took the factory applied grease out of the chain. You might be able to get the grease back inside the chain with a vacuum chamber.....

Get a new chain. Clean with a dry shop rag, lubricate lightly and evenly, run the through all the gears, and finally wipe down with dry clean shop rag.
Old 01-12-19, 04:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,001 Times in 2,379 Posts
If the chain was filled with fine grit/grime and now all that is gone you will hear the metal on metal contact, that was muffled before with the grime. Have you measured the chain for wear? For the cost of a new chain this isn't worth too much time. Andy
Old 01-12-19, 04:44 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
You might try cleaning the chain with an ultrasonic cleaner. Then re-lube.

As mentioned, physically measure the chain length. I think 1/16" stretch in 12" is considered worn out.

How many miles on the chain? Riding conditions? Rain? Wet? Snow?
Old 01-12-19, 04:52 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bozin
Hi guys,
my bike (Bixs core 700 EQ ) was running great until i cleaned the chain ( Shimano CN-HG 40) with a degreaser and oil it with wet lube. Now its grinding like it has some sand stones in it , that it picks up during the rides. I tried to clean it once again and again and again... but it just doesnt go away. The local mechanic says that it would eventualy go away if i dont cleaned for a while. It doesnt look like the chain is worn out. The bike ir running great but this grinding its just anoying on the long rides. I am thankfull for your advices and opinions.
I had the exact same problem every time I tried a wet lube no matter how well I wiped the chain afterwards. It would always pick up some sand or tiny stones and make noise. I could feel the vibration in the cranks. My solution (you need to take the chain off, so you need a chain breaker and a quick link of the appropriate size) fill a Gatorade bottle with odorless mineral spirits, put the chain in and shake it vigorously for a couple of minutes. Pull the chain out and let it dry. Apply a good dry lube like Squirt and that's it. I wish I could make the wet lube work for me, but I just couldn't.
Old 01-14-19, 04:24 AM
Bozin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the help. I will probably try to fix it one more time as you sugested, if not, i will get a new chain, and never do the degreaser ever.