Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So 9 inches of snow. Is this worth doing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 09:08 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts

Well here in the Midwest we are getting abut 9 inches of snow not going to be out for awhile. Have actually been running on the treadmill mostly and the Wilier is on the trainer so I don't no forget how to pedal. The question is if I should do a complete take apart of my Habanero and clean it good. Why I ask is the it is not really dirty at all and it does not really need a tune up ( I am my own mechanic). But given it may not be getting out on if for a bit I could take the time and give it a real cleaning. Take the brakes off get the old tooth brush out, clean the cassette shiny and bright, chain, and all around the rest of the bike. The dilemma is that in thinking about it seriously it probably will not make the bike ride any better at all and it shifts fine nothing as such to adjust. Sometimes I do the big clean when I need routine maintenance to kill two birds with one stone. The only reason here is snow...…….Decisions...
Old 01-12-19, 09:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
when we get snow, the last thing I want to do is sit on the couch and watch snow storm TV coverage. if you're not gonna go ride in it, x-c ski, rake your roof or shovel then that kind of bike maintenance can be relaxing. but if it's premature maybe you should go get out in it?
Old 01-12-19, 10:02 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Follow Rumrunn's advice and get you a set of x-country skies and boots. It you are going to live in the snow belt you may as well go out and play in it.
Old 01-12-19, 10:05 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Man where are you? In Chicago, it's just barely flurries right now. Expected to maybe get an inch or 2...not 9.

I'm sort of in the same boat though. Been contemplating ordering a crank puller and torque wrench for my new CX bike. It's in fine condition still...but there's some mud in crusty corners I can't get to.
Old 01-12-19, 10:10 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,802 Times in 2,189 Posts
I'm in Peoria and we probably have 5" so far. I'll be back on the road in a few days easy as soon as the roads clear off, no problem.

Having said that, a good equipment cleaning and maintenance are always a good thing to pass the bad weather but if one lives in the snow belt, embrace it if you can.

EDIT: I’ve got an unofficial 8-9” on my deck at 3:00 PM and still coming down. Still, should be back on the road in a few days.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 01-12-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 11:06 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Passing south of us again. We're not going to get squat. We've had all of 8-10" so far this season, an inch at a time. The snowblower is feeling lonely and neglected.
Old 01-12-19, 12:27 PM
deacon mark

Yes Bloomington we are getting blasted. The good thing is I a runner so i have a treadmill and I use it. Actually good for me as it requires I keep my form up I have terrible balance issues running at times.

I am just much better on the bike than running for my age 57. I have no speed running getting slower exponentially but on the bike I can still ride with fellows 1/2 my age a keep up. I guess I may dive in on the Habby these TI bikes are a treat and pretty easy to maintain.
Old 01-12-19, 12:49 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts
Dang, I wish I lived closer to you because I'd bring my 2 pairs of snowshoes and we could go out and have some adventures!! Snowshoeing is great crosstraining!

We only have a dusting up here in the western suburbs. Just enough that my car was slipping and sliding all over the place when I went to the grocery store earlier.
Old 01-12-19, 01:44 PM
deacon mark

I don't know I just cleared the stuff off the driveway with my 19 year old son and that makes for some serious cross training. I never get winded doing the shoveling but have to watch the back it can be irritated if I don't be careful.

Well I repair guitars for a living these days and maybe I better re-fret this guitar then think about the bike. If you can repair guitars frankly bikes are easy to work and much less fussy about it too.
Old 01-12-19, 01:56 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Yea, we got pegged my 6" of snow here (with locally heavier amounts) in My Fair City...absolute mess. And I had to be at work this morning. Ugh.
Old 01-12-19, 08:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Yep...all that is heading south of here.

I think I'll take the gravel bike out for a road ride tomorrow. Roads are dry, but covered in sand.
Old 01-12-19, 09:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
cyclocross races go in snow. But may have more running than riding.. .
Old 01-12-19, 09:21 PM
Kmag1226

Bikes: 1975 Colnago Super

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got about 2" overnight. It has pretty much all melted off today. I hope it dries up by the first of the week. I would like to get out some as it is suppose to get p into the 40's next week.
Old 01-12-19, 10:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Jealous of the snow everyone is getting.

If you're a runner, get yourself some skinny Nordic skis. Wax them to your heart's content, then ride ''m like you some them.

Skiing is more fun and a better workout than cycling. I haven't been on my bike for more than a month until today, but I've been skiing like crazy. Result: bike VO2max up one point according to per:hr.
Old 01-13-19, 07:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,802 Times in 2,189 Posts
10.8" officially at the Peoria airport. Lot of drifting.

Old 01-13-19, 04:42 PM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
In Kansas City, we received about 7 inches. Streets were cleaned much faster than usual; however my wife's rule of no electricity, no being at home means I am away from the bicycles now. Otherwise, today is a great bicycle workday.
Old 01-13-19, 08:48 PM
PizzaPi4Me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been out riding all weekend. Honestly a lot of fun, even if not at all safe. Highly recommend.

I need some knobby tires right now .
Old 01-16-19, 01:51 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's like 10feet of snow outside here, and I'm happy to ride groomed trail with the fat bike. Way better than sitting home cleaning or swifting.
Old 01-16-19, 02:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Since no one has risen to this part of the question yet, yes take it apart and do some maintenance even if it's not strictly needed yet. Anything starting to look worn or frayed, get the order in. You'll feel better about it.
Old 01-16-19, 02:59 PM
downhillmaster

Liked 779 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Well here in the Midwest we are getting abut 9 inches of snow not going to be out for awhile. Have actually been running on the treadmill mostly and the Wilier is on the trainer so I don't no forget how to pedal. The question is if I should do a complete take apart of my Habanero and clean it good. Why I ask is the it is not really dirty at all and it does not really need a tune up ( I am my own mechanic). But given it may not be getting out on if for a bit I could take the time and give it a real cleaning. Take the brakes off get the old tooth brush out, clean the cassette shiny and bright, chain, and all around the rest of the bike. The dilemma is that in thinking about it seriously it probably will not make the bike ride any better at all and it shifts fine nothing as such to adjust. Sometimes I do the big clean when I need routine maintenance to kill two birds with one stone. The only reason here is snow...…….Decisions...
They don’t have beer and Netflix in the Midwest?...
Old 01-18-19, 12:25 PM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
The question is if I should do a complete take apart of my Habanero and clean it good. Why I ask is the it is not really dirty at all and it does not really need a tune up ( I am my own mechanic). But given it may not be getting out on if for a bit I could take the time and give it a real cleaning. Take the brakes off get the old tooth brush out, clean the cassette shiny and bright, chain, and all around the rest of the bike. The dilemma is that in thinking about it seriously it probably will not make the bike ride any better at all and it shifts fine nothing as such to adjust. Sometimes I do the big clean when I need routine maintenance to kill two birds with one stone. The only reason here is snow...…….Decisions...
If that's your regular winter bike, it's a complete waste of time. The moment you ride it in any winter snow or anything at all all your work will be undone.
If it's your summer bike it's a question of if you think it's worth it for making the bike look pretty. :-D I do get my bike fully cleaned something because I liked having something that looks "new".
Old 01-22-19, 09:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
My kid today. Said it was a good workout.
Old 01-27-19, 02:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 738 Times in 458 Posts
Winter is my time to bring my bikes, one at a time, into the basement for overhauls and upgrades. Cleaning? That's done with a hose, in warmer weather.