Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Assistance with my bb - home built bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 07:35 AM
Pearly
Triathlete

Bikes: I ride a Felt B16, 56cm. I am also building a bike. I started with a Schwin Phocus 1400 frame and have upgraded everything to Shimano Claris parts with a dual action shifter/brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the military and currently stationed in Japan. I don’t speak Japanese so going to a LBS is tough.

Anyway, I was able to get my hands on a Schwin Phocus 1400 frame for real cheap and I decided to build my own road bike. I have done all the work and am proud. I updated all of the components to Shimano Claris, and now I am stuck on figuring out the correct BB.

The crank set set is the Shimano Claris SG-x 50-F/34-F octolink with the 8 speed rear cassette. Through amazon I originally bought the shimano Bb-es25 68x121mm. It fit well, went on easily but it was too wide. So I went back to amazon and bought the only one I could find in 113mm, which to my stupidity was the bb-es51 68x113mm. When I attempted to install it, it wouldn’t fit. Upon further inspection it looks like the threads are different enough it won’t work.

I still have both bb. I have 2 questions.

1. Is there anything I can do with the bbs I have to make it work?
2. So I don’t buy every octolink bb out there playing a guessing game how do I figure out the spindle length for the correct bb and which one I should buy?

ok that’s really three questions.

Thank you in advance. I have pictures of the components and the bike if there are questions.
Old 01-08-19, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
I cant guess either..

You have the needed special BB installation tools .. ?

a BB length and a crank profile are paired, best to get them in the same package .. you should have done that

Shimano may have tech data on line ... there are *English to Japanese translation text phone app to use & show the local shop staff..

* https://www.fluentu.com/blog/japanes...anslation-app/

Old 01-08-19, 05:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,657 Times in 2,203 Posts
I can't believe that bike would be anything but a 68mm English threaded bottom bracket shell.
Did you cross thread the longer one in? Slowly and carefully thread in the new one (correct direction) first backward to catch the thread end and then forward?
Old 01-31-19, 06:24 AM
Pearly
Triathlete

Bikes: I ride a Felt B16, 56cm. I am also building a bike. I started with a Schwin Phocus 1400 frame and have upgraded everything to Shimano Claris parts with a dual action shifter/brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I don't think that cross threaded it. For some reason, the threads do look different on the shorter one. Should the 121mm work? Did I just adjust the front derailleur wrong?
Old 01-31-19, 10:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
One would hope that the ad specs or the BB packaging or that the actual (love that word) BB would have the threading specs listed. If so then are these two BBs the same thread? Did you estimate how much shorter the 2nd BB should have been to better fit? If so didn't you order that determined shorter BB with the same thread spec?

There's not much changing one can do with a BB to change how it fits the frame and/or locates the chanirings. Adding a thin spacer between the drive side's cup flange and the BB shell's face is about it. This only shifts the chain rings outward a small bit.

I would go back to the 1st BB and reinstall it and then determine how much shorter an axle length is needed. With this info I would look for a BB that matched this axle length, the BB shell width and it's threading. If all these specs are not stated before you order the BB don't get it and move onto a seller who is willing to provide the data you need to know you're making the correct choice.

I do like the idea of using a translation app at a LBS. I deal with students from RIT and their NTID school often enough to know that with some patience written communication can get the needed results. The last bit is what to do with the BBs that you have but don't work for you. Donate them, return them for credit (and yes, refund is unlikely is installed), save then for the next bike, give them to the LBS you end up using... Andy
Old 01-31-19, 11:39 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
How much too wide, in mm?
Old 01-31-19, 03:17 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
IF (big IF) the bb-es51 68x113mm is really a 68x113; it should fit smoothly. Carefully check the threads on the BB and the bike.

Take a look at the picture here: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Octal.../dp/B0183S6TJ6
And compare to your two BB's. The one that fits will almost certainly say 68 and BC1.37x24 on the BB. Does the other one have something different?

For example this one says 70 and 36 x 24T which is an Italian threaded BB https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BB-ES.../dp/B001986CHM even though the listing is for English threaded BBs........
Old 02-02-19, 06:13 AM
Pearly
Triathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After careful consideration, I did try to put the longer one, the 68 x 121, in again, to see if I could make it work. Now that one won't go in. I did finally get some measurements together and figured I needed a 68 X 118. So that is now on order.

Now that the 68 x 121 won't go in, I am fairly sure that I have stripped the threads for the bb. Does anyone know of the best way to re-tap the threads? The best kit to use, or the best way to go forward?
Old 02-02-19, 07:29 AM
rhenning

Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
Take it to a bike shop that has BB taps and have them clean/retap the threads. They will then tell you if it is possible or if the frame is junk. You do not want to buy the taps. Roger
Old 02-02-19, 01:27 PM
oliver1850

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I assume you have the FC-2450 Claris crank. Shimano says 113 mm is the correct spindle length.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...0/FC-2450.html

If you just damaged the end of the thread you might be able to straighten is out with a 90 scriber:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-Tools-29...frcectupt=true

Start with the point in an undamaged valley of the BB shell threads. With the point aimed in the direction of travel towards the damaged area, push the point through the valley until it snags on damaged thread. Slowly work the point through the damage, straightening the thread as you go around the BB shell, until you reach the end of the thread. This is a fairly crude method but I've successfully used it to straighten even damaged steel threads. Much easier in aluminum.
Old 03-04-19, 08:27 AM
Pearly
Triathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I got the 113mm bb and took it to get re-tapped by a bike shop. The $80 to re tap is much better than the $2000 plus for the tap and dyes.

Once it it was released tapped the 113 fit easily and the bike is now together and riding well. Once again thanks. It really was a great experience building this bike!!!!