Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The Magic of YouTube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The Magic of YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 01:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
The Magic of YouTube

I have a Cannondale F400 hardtail mountain bike.

I have not ridden it in 10 years. The last time that I rode it I came home to find out that my Mom had just passed away. Even though the bike obviously had nothing to do with her passing, the association was too strong, so the bike laid unused in the garage while the Italian bicis carried me on all sorts of riding adventures.

Flash forward to today, after two days of almost uninterrupted rain I decided to go out riding. Not wanting to expose my Italians to road grime I decided to take my mountain bike for a spin.

So I cleaned up the old beast, lubed the chain and everything was ready to go except for one thing—the Deore XT Rapid Fire shifters would not work.

Everything I tried yielded the same results: no shifting.

So I did what everyone does nowdays, I went straight to YouTube. In less than a minute I found a video showing exactly how to clean up the gunked up shifters and get them working again.

In less than 30 minutes the shifters were working as smoothly as when new (in spite of my love for all things Campy, the reality is that when it comes to mountain bikes, you just can’t beat Shimano).

I went for a short ride in the rain, I am wet but happy (no snide remarks please).

I want to thank all the dedicated DIYers who are willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us regular folks.

This video saved me a trip to my bike mechanic and let me ride in a rainy morning.
Old 02-03-19, 03:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,657 Times in 3,295 Posts
Posting the link to the video might help someone else.

And you're right. Youtube ******* rocks.
Old 02-03-19, 03:59 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: More than last week

Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
What did we do in the days before YouTube? Haha, you gotta love it when someone is willing to share hands on knowledge. Thank you to all that post informative responses here as well. I'm old but still learning from you guys.
Old 02-03-19, 04:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Posting the link to the video might help someone else.

And you're right. Youtube ******* rocks.
You are right.

Here is the link.

Old 02-03-19, 04:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Bigbus
What did we do in the days before YouTube? Haha, you gotta love it when someone is willing to share hands on knowledge. Thank you to all that post informative responses here as well. I'm old but still learning from you guys.
YouTube is great. There are times, however, when the information is either incomplete or incorrect.

So, as with all things, be careful out there.
Old 02-03-19, 04:45 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,324 Times in 911 Posts
We could have told you to use WD-40 in 10 seconds!
Old 02-03-19, 05:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Pretty much any repair on anything mechanical someone, somewhere has posted a video or at least discussed it in a forum.
Old 02-03-19, 07:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
We could have told you to use WD-40 in 10 seconds!
WD-40 may help to loosen up the gunk, but I still needed to scrape it off.

Followed it with a light grease spray. Works like new.

It seems like any time that anyone posts here asking how to fix something, 20 people post with 20 different methods. Then the next few pages turn into a p***ing contest.
Old 02-04-19, 01:22 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

WD-40 may help to loosen up the gunk, but I still needed to scrape it off.

Followed it with a light grease spray. Works like new.

It seems like any time that anyone posts here asking how to fix something, 20 people post with 20 different methods. Then the next few pages turn into a p***ing contest.
Yes, I agree 100%. I think it's comical sometimes the miscommunication involved with mechanical questions and answers without ever seeing the actual issue. I believe video cuts through most of this miscommunication, but it still doesn't guarantee you're getting accurate information.
On a side note, that youtube video is mine I suggest different videos to questions on here now and again, but anyway, I'm glad the video was helpful and you got your shifters back in order!
Old 02-04-19, 02:17 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Yes, I agree 100%. I think it's comical sometimes the miscommunication involved with mechanical questions and answers without ever seeing the actual issue. I believe video cuts through most of this miscommunication, but it still doesn't guarantee you're getting accurate information.
On a side note, that youtube video is mine I suggest different videos to questions on here now and again, but anyway, I'm glad the video was helpful and you got your shifters back in order!
Thank you very much. Your video was really helpful. I especially liked the suggestion of turning the shifters upside down on the handlebar so that the screws would not fall out.

An obvious piece of advice but I am willing to bet you that there are people out there unscrewing the shifter cover and then having to hunt for those darned little screws all over the floor.

Your video allowed me to go riding my mountain bike out in yesterday's rain and not having to ride my Italian beauties.

Again, thanks.
Old 02-04-19, 03:43 PM
carlmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. Youtube is great if you want an answer right away or if you are not good friends with someone that has mechanic knowledge and experience you need.