Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone Seat Post - Stuck?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone Seat Post - Stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 09:58 AM
TurnerIII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bridgestone Seat Post - FIXED!!

Hi all - new-be here

I got this Bridgestone BB1 for $15. Ties held air, gears worked good enough - a lot of dirt and some rust. Fine Except for the seat which was a messed up rag - could not figure out why it was just stuck into what I thought was a stuck seat post... - I have heard that some (all?) of the Bridgestone bikes had a quill seat post? But others on the "Mechanics" page of this forum are saying that this bike used a reg seat post - and it looks like its there - it must just be stuck?

Your thoughts, knowledge and experience - Please !

And thanks

This is how it looked when I picked it up

Last edited by TurnerIII; 02-26-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 10:14 AM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,860 Times in 1,013 Posts
Maybe, at least you need a new seatpost that one is toast, I would loosen the clamp, slightly pry the seating clamp, apply a solvent. Then use some big mofo vise grips to grab the post, then attempt to twist and pull the remains of your broken post. If that doesn't work then sound vibrations from cussing should....

Last edited by Mr. 66; 02-25-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 10:20 AM
TurnerIII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Indeed - I appreciate the information. And yes - the sound vibrations are often heard in my shop area!

I too often take the Hulk Approach

Old 02-26-19, 07:59 AM
TurnerIII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well thanks to all this knowledge I got it out! Took me a little effort , long adjustable pliers, some liquid wrench and it came out

Funny piece of pipe in there - no taper - perhaps some home brew fix in the past? Now I just need to get over to the Co-Op and get a post that fits. ( and some new pedals - one looks like it got too close to the camp fire ...)

Thanks all!

Well thanks to all this knowledge I got it out! Took ma little effort , long adjustable pliers, some liquid wrench and it came out

Funny piece of pipe in there - no taper - perhaps some home brew fix in the past? Now I just need to get over to the Co-Op and get a post that fits.

Thanks all!

Old 02-26-19, 08:22 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 958 Times in 613 Posts
I'd wire wheel or at the least wipe the seat tube down (inside of course) with some solvent. Old hanger and a rag with some WD40 or something similar. Then make sure to grease the new one.
Old 02-26-19, 08:49 AM
TurnerIII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
I'd wire wheel or at the least wipe the seat tube down (inside of course) with some solvent. Old hanger and a rag with some WD40 or something similar. Then make sure to grease the new one.

Yes! Thanks for emphasizing this.

For me its like a new toy - I just want to get it out and ride it!! But yes - its a good idea to clean her out first

Old 02-26-19, 02:47 PM
madpogue 

Liked 1,763 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by TurnerIII

Funny piece of pipe in there - no taper - perhaps some home brew fix in the past?.
Seatposts aren't tapered. This one was stuck because it wasn't lubricated on installation. But indeed, this is definitely a homebrew "fix". They took the stub of a narrower Sakae seatpost, and attempted to use the pipe as a "shim". But since there was just the stub of the original post going into the pipe, it was a (probably catastrophic) failure waiting to happen. Just as well you had to destroy it to get it out.
Old 02-26-19, 03:38 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,059 Times in 686 Posts
I think that might be an original SR seatpost. I think that iSR press fit the cast top into the aluminum tube. This is a much less expensive way to make a seatpost. Since the seatpost was stuck, when TurnerIII tried to remove the seatpost, the cast part of the post came out because the seatpost was stuck into the seat tube so solidly.

Regardless, a new, old post, is needed now.