Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Triple Group Recomendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Triple Group Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 04:23 PM
djb

Liked 995 Times in 816 Posts
cs hasnt said what his pref is for speeds, but given his interest in possibly tiagra, thats 10.
I dont keep track of changes always, so is 105 11 speed now?
Old 08-03-19, 09:15 AM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
cs hasnt said what his pref is for speeds, but given his interest in possibly tiagra, thats 10.
I dont keep track of changes always, so is 105 11 speed now?
Not sure but parts are readily available for my 10 year old triple with a 10 speed cassette in Shimano 105. All over Amazon.
Old 08-03-19, 10:28 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The only Ergo levers I would avoid are that entry level version that had the shift paddles combined into one piece and both moved either way depending on up or down shifting.
Nah, there's another crap one - Escape, with the convex mouse ears that can only release the cable one cog at a time.

The escapement ratchet on those is plastic, and wears out. You can sort of get them going again by reprofiling the pawl that's attached to the mouse ear (also plastic), but it's touch and go, you can only really do it once, and it won't shift like new.
Old 08-03-19, 10:31 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
is 105 11 speed now?
Has been for two generations; 5800 and 7000.
Old 08-03-19, 11:34 AM
djb

Liked 995 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Has been for two generations; 5800 and 7000.
geez, as a non roadie, I have gotten behind haven't I?

I know not everyone is a gearing nerd like me, but as a tourer, knowing gear inches as a defining black and white number is important, and to relate a given g.i. low to a given bike weight/terrain/rider.
This was why I brought up the Gevenalle + 48/36/26 + wide range cassettes option--but I do come back to how its a unique setup, and riding my Gevenalle setup bike lately after being on my trigger shifter bikes and then sti bike for the spring and summer, Gevenalle does have a slightly slower more "deliberate" shifting/ride feeling thing going on.
It's fine for touring where we have to slow down our expectations of all riding speed and generally has a more laid back approach to a days ride---and then also for muddy, crappy cyclocross conditions with lots of potential crashes and therefore a really inexpensive shifting method (they rebuild crashed and busted units for something like 30 bucks or something) compared to trashing expensive sti units , that I can see would appeal from a money aspect of someone racing cross a lot.

but I know I'm like a broken record here , so will shut up.
Old 08-03-19, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,009 Times in 2,385 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Nah, there's another crap one - Escape, with the convex mouse ears that can only release the cable one cog at a time. I wasn't including them in my loose use of "Ergo". I completely agree with your added point.

The escapement ratchet on those is plastic, and wears out. You can sort of get them going again by reprofiling the pawl that's attached to the mouse ear (also plastic), but it's touch and go, you can only really do it once, and it won't shift like new.
Why mechanics around the world dislike plastic in some applications. Andy