Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New biker, which bike should I buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New biker, which bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 07:17 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I just bought a new touring bicycle and must say that it's perfect for commuting to/from a location that has safe storage. The Sutra by Kona comes setup with a rack, mudguards, 40mm tires, cro-mo frame/fork, Brooks saddle, gearing for all kinds of topography, and even a chainwheel guard so you can ride it in reasonable trousers. The only thing I wasn't satisfied with were the tires, Schwalbe Marathon Mondial (although some might find these to be great!). The shop selling the bicycle gave me a very generous store credit of $30 per tire, leaving me having to pay just $20 for a pair of Schwalbe Marathon classics (a slicker tire than the Mondial).

Last edited by Nyah; 02-09-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-09-20, 09:01 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
At the thrifty end of the spectrum (and it looks like that would be more do-able for you than a new Kona Sutra), I too recommend a used hybrid bike. Make sure that you've got tires that are appropriate for your commute, Knobby tires on asphalt, concrete or other hardpack will be a relatively slow, fatiguing ride.
Old 02-09-20, 09:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4079 Post(s)
Liked 7,666 Times in 3,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Evandris
Thank you for your detailed answer. I don't know much about bikes but my friend does seem to know a lot and I do trust him. He also has a dad that works in bike shop.
I think that's the guy you should be talking to. Ask him if he can keep an eye out for a good bike for you.
Old 02-09-20, 09:31 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I wouldn't buy a bike that has less than 11 sprockets on the rear wheel, or below Shimano 105 drivetrain,
The manufacturers love you.

I ride a road bike with a 105-level 3x10 drivetrain, and a hybrid (for commuting, utility, and around the neighborhood) with an Alivio-level 3x8 drivetrain.

Both are fairly well suited to the type of riding I do; I live in the foothills of the Wasatch mountain range. It's almost impossible to ride anywhere without having a 600-1000 foot climb home. Most of my rides rack up substantially more elevation gain than that because of all the ups-and-downs of riding along the mountain benches. I'm always wishing I had a lower gear. But I'm never wishing I had an 11 speed rear cassette.

My next bike will probably have a 2x11 drivetrain. It will have more gaps than my 3x10.
Old 02-10-20, 05:12 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Like others have said, don't spend a lot of money on this 1st bike. Get something decent used for a 100 or $200 is see if you like what you're doing.. The more you get into it the more you study and read about bikes and actually see what's out there, and what kind of riding you will be doing, the more money you are going to be spending on it. I along with everyone else can tell you if you do like riding, this will not be your only bike. you will probably have different bikes for different activities. Go slow see if you like it and go from there
Old 02-11-20, 06:29 AM
laychris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe Kuota k9000?