Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it cool or ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 08:53 PM
Chrsdnver1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it cool or ??

Anything cool about a mid-fifties Columbia Five Star American with Sturmey-Archer 3 speed, brakes? Bought a house and there it was in corner of garage....would be cool to rebuild if it would mean anything.
Old 04-09-20, 09:13 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
It would mean you rebuilt a bike. If that has meaning to you it's a win win .
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 04-09-20, 09:27 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 323 Posts
If it's cool to you that's enough reason
Old 04-12-20, 09:51 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
HECK YEAH! Restore that bad boy! Then on occasion take it for a spin around the park or neighborhood. By the way, those Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hubs were bullet proof as long as you kept oil in the reservoir, even if it ran dry, which you could tell because it wouldn't shift, simply fill it back up and it continue to operate with no ill effects! The weak spot in the design was occasionally the tiny chain that came out of the hub had a thin cable attached to it would break, but it was repairable. I had one of those hubs for about 8 years as a kid, that bike worked flawlessly mechanically, my cable on the hub never broke but I heard from others theirs did. There a lot of websites and videos on how to repair, rebuild and maintain those hubs, parts are plentiful, Harris Cyclery has them, even a small shop near where I live has an abundance of parts for those hubs, you can even buy them brand new, but for that bike you have I would rebuild it and not buy a new one, you need to keep that bike as original as possible, if the bike is missing parts find them on Ebay.
Old 04-12-20, 10:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I'd think it would be very cool to somebody who likes those things. Not so much to anybody else. The trick to selling something like that is finding a buyer who likes those things.
Old 04-12-20, 10:44 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Pretty cool. Scales depending on condition, tho.
Old 04-12-20, 05:55 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Welcome! Keep the bike, even if you do not restore it. Pump up the tires and take it out for a spin. Hang it in a special spot if you decide not to use it thereafter. Getting a bike with a house would be a treat. We bought a place that came with a sweatshirt and a baggie full of seeds and stems. I still wear the sweatshirt for certain tasks.

Looks like you might have the lightweight (D) and not the other Five-Star (A).

Last edited by thumpism; 04-12-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 05:21 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I would definitely do it! Go to Classic and Vintage page, there will be a lot of people to help you out. Make sure you post pics, they won't give you a moment's peace without them!
Old 04-15-20, 06:33 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have been checking in on this thread, hoping to see a pic or two. Appears to be a one and done introduction.