Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie Trek advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Newbie Trek advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 07:28 PM
Beatle9999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Trek advice

So I知 looking to get a bike. I知 super beginner. I知 looking at either getting a trek verve 3 or the dual sport 3. Any suggestions? I知 looking at the 2020 models. I知 basically gonna go riding with my son and wife mostly on paved paths and streets, maybe camping or some dirt trails but nothing too crazy. Any suggestions or tips??
Old 04-26-20, 01:58 PM
pwhite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest looking into a dual sport, the front suspension might help with the little off road that you do. Im not expert so maybe some others will chime in. My only question is what type of dirt trials are you planning on going on?
Old 04-26-20, 04:59 PM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beatle9999
So I’m looking to get a bike. I’m super beginner. I’m looking at either getting a trek verve 3 or the dual sport 3. Any suggestions? I’m looking at the 2020 models. I’m basically gonna go riding with my son and wife mostly on paved paths and streets, maybe camping or some dirt trails but nothing too crazy. Any suggestions or tips??
I was in a similar situation to you and last summer I purchased a Marin DS last summer (similar style and components to the Trek DS 2). I discovered over 4-5 months that the adjustable front shock on the DS was "overkill" for what I was doing, (90% paved roads, 10% hard packed/gravel trails) and not necessary. As such I sold the Marin and looked for something that better fit my type of riding. I had my eye on the Verve, and after testing multiple bikes, I purchased the Verve 3 in early January, and I absolutely love it. For me the best thing with a Verve is that it's more upright riding position is more comfortable than the DS and very easy to ride, and it handles all the trails I ride with ease. I've found it to be a terrific fitness bike and also a great bike to enjoy fun rides with my daughters. Check both bikes out, but based on your riding goals, I think the Verve 3 may be the better fit for you. And if you decide on the Verve, definitely get the Verve 3. The upgraded components, hydraulic brakes, adjustable quill stem, puncture-resistant tires, IsoZone grips, and suspension seatpost, etc. are worth the extra cost. Good luck!

Last edited by uriwvu; 04-26-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 07:58 PM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pwhite
I would suggest looking into a dual sport, the front suspension might help with the little off road that you do. Im not expert so maybe some others will chime in. My only question is what type of dirt trials are you planning on going on?
+1 for the Trek DS2. We bought two large in black, one each for our teen boys.