Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: Downtube clamp-on shifter mount

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 07:29 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

I'm looking for one of these thingies:

I've found a few on eBay, but they tend to be overpriced, IMO. The project at hand is putting together a bike from spare parts I have collected over 20 years. I live in NYC, and there are a LOT of new riders showing up over the last six weeks. It makes no sense for me to hold on to these parts under these circumstances!

The frame is a mid-80s Bridgestone Regulus, which was their bottom-of-the rung road frame. Very few braze-ons! I have the clamp to guide the cable around the BB area, but not to mount the old Suntour friction DT shifters I have in mind. When I get it built up, it'll be a nice commuter, as I'm able to throw in some old SKS fenders and even a Tubus Fly rack.

If anyone in the NYC has one, I'm happy to ride over to your location to pick it up!

Thanks,
Oliver Henderson
Old 04-26-20, 06:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5903 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 2,106 Posts
Why not just get a pair of clamp on shifters? They're cheap and widely available.
Old 04-26-20, 10:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Why not just get a pair of clamp on shifters? They're cheap and widely available.
That's what I did. It was cheaper than buying just the mount. Now I have shifters I don't need. I should see if someone wants them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-20, 01:28 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That's what I did. It was cheaper than buying just the mount. Now I have shifters I don't need. I should see if someone wants them.
I have been looking for a downtube, flat-backed cable stop for my ‘85 Cannondale that I flat-barred & am not finding anything that isn’t pricey (or maybe isn’t really the flat one after all!)...
so I’m wondering if anyone knows of a large circumference clamp-on stop that would work w/ the ‘Dale’s fat tube?

OR, has anyone just used the curved-back one on the flat shifter boss with no trouble? Does it just look terrible?
Old 04-26-20, 02:15 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 492 Posts
I’ve used the cheap-o sun race ones as well for the band clamp. For around $12 you get the clamp and two shift cables. Hard to beat unless you need one that says “Shimano” on it.
Old 04-26-20, 06:43 PM
krems81 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
I have been looking for a downtube, flat-backed cable stop for my ‘85 Cannondale that I flat-barred & am not finding anything that isn’t pricey (or maybe isn’t really the flat one after all!)...
so I’m wondering if anyone knows of a large circumference clamp-on stop that would work w/ the ‘Dale’s fat tube?

OR, has anyone just used the curved-back one on the flat shifter boss with no trouble? Does it just look terrible?
Shimano still sells them. This photo is a screenshot from a major parts distributor. They’re out of stock and estimating to be back in stock by July. Many shops have direct accounts with Shimano, who may be in stock now. Wholesale cost is about $9 for a pair when in stock, MSRP around $18
Old 04-26-20, 07:42 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by krems81
Shimano still sells them. This photo is a screenshot from a major parts distributor. They’re out of stock and estimating to be back in stock by July. Many shops have direct accounts with Shimano, who may be in stock now. Wholesale cost is about $9 for a pair when in stock, MSRP around $18
Thanks for confirming (and sorry to the OP for any thread-jackishness)! I had seen them for about $20, missed them, and lately they’ve been out of stock as you said (only curved-back around), or on the Bay for more than twice that for Campy ones. I’ll wait & get em later in the year.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-28-20, 01:58 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Charliekeet No worries about hijacking my thread. Actually, I had forgotten about the downtube housing stops. I have used those before, and they'll definitely address your situation with your Canny.

Thanks to others regarding the Sunrace shifter set. I had no idea they'd be so inexpensive. Goes to show that you can't judge pricing based on what people are asking for vintage items!

I'm going to email a bunch of LBSs today and see if anyone responds for a clamp. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a new Sunrace.
Likes For countalmaviva: