Notices
Northern California Northern California

Bike hut?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 06:43 PM
sanmateoclimber

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Bike hut?

If you like to cruise the peninsula coast, you probably have a fondness in your heart for the Bike Hut on Tunitas Creek Rd. Anybody know if it's "open for business?" I don't know why I'm using quotes there, I suppose I am literally asking if it is open for business.

It's a very handy watering hole in the middle of nowhere, so it might be the deciding factor on whether or not I have to take my camelbak on longer rides out thataway. Or, any other good tips for water in that vicinity? I've never stopped at the general store in San Gregorio; I don't think they have a spigot outside or anything but I'm not sure. And I'm looking to lengthen my rides by swinging south to Pescadero before coming back north up Stage Rd-- any good places to fill up down there?
Old 05-21-20, 09:29 PM
sanmateoclimber

Ah, they have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeHut

They have the hut closed up but water available in a picnic table. Hats off to the people who keep this going, seriously!
Old 05-26-20, 11:17 AM
sanmateoclimber

Apologies for continuing a one man conversation with myself here, but this update could be relevant information to someone: I wouldn't recommend relying on the bike hut right now. There were water containers out on Saturday afternoon, but they were empty. Fortunately I was prepared for that possibility, and had enough water from home to get back up and over to Woodside. I wouldn't want someone to see my link to that fb page and assume they will be able to fill up there. It's hot out there, folks, stay wet!
Old 05-26-20, 04:44 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 955 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber
Ah, they have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeHut

They have the hut closed up but water available in a picnic table. Hats off to the people who keep this going, seriously!
The owner of the farm is who does the upkeep. Really nice guy and family.
Old 05-26-20, 05:06 PM
sanmateoclimber

Originally Posted by 2cam16
The owner of the farm is who does the upkeep. Really nice guy and family.
I'm sure that's true-- that place rocks and I'm very grateful for what they do for the cycling community! Definitely not trying to knock them in any way because the jugs happened to be empty the other day, just wanted to let people know they should be prepared for that possibility. That California sun is shining HARD right now.
Likes For sanmateoclimber:
Old 06-01-20, 03:42 PM
kreative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber
If you like to cruise the peninsula coast, you probably have a fondness in your heart for the Bike Hut on Tunitas Creek Rd. Anybody know if it's "open for business?" I don't know why I'm using quotes there, I suppose I am literally asking if it is open for business.

It's a very handy watering hole in the middle of nowhere, so it might be the deciding factor on whether or not I have to take my camelbak on longer rides out thataway. Or, any other good tips for water in that vicinity? I've never stopped at the general store in San Gregorio; I don't think they have a spigot outside or anything but I'm not sure. And I'm looking to lengthen my rides by swinging south to Pescadero before coming back north up Stage Rd-- any good places to fill up down there?
I'm not sure what the situation is like right now (w/ COVID/SIP), but when I've ridden out that way in the past, the General Store in Pescadero was always a nice stop. Pick up a sandwich and drink, there are picnic tables in the back and a faucet for refilling water
Old 06-02-20, 12:56 PM
sanmateoclimber

Yeah, I saw they were up and running when I rode through (masks required, only letting a restricted number of people in at a time.) Seems like a good spot to catch a break and hydrate/fuel up.