Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Regarding sydney

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Regarding sydney

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 09:55 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At long last, photos of the ghost bike for sydney.

Text of the sign installed above the bike reads as follows:

In Memoriam

James R. Price
aka
"sydney"
"Biker_Billy"
"Rusty"
"boudreaux"

Killed by Driver
11/24/2005

"Ride Hard, Live Long, Never Give Up"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gb1.jpg (69.7 KB, 448 views)
gb2.jpg (75.0 KB, 210 views)
gb3.jpg (70.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 01-10-06, 06:33 PM
dirt Banshee
Are you fast or fat?

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never knew Jim Price (sydney) but I happened upon the wreck after it happened and Jim had been taken to the hospital. I saw his bike in the road, I saw the car and knew that it was not going to be a happy ending. Jim died at the top of what my buddies and I call the warm up hill; a place that I ride almost everytime I go out. His death really hit me hard....and I never knew the guy.

Someone put up the ghost bike memorial and used the words to describe how I feel. In fact, it took pictures myself and put them up on our Banshee Cycling Blog. I have seen tons of the crosses on the side of the road and thought they were silly. That is until I saw the ghost bike.

Jim Price - my your memory be eternal.
Old 01-10-06, 07:08 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirt Banshee
Someone put up the ghost bike memorial and used the words to describe how I feel. In fact, it took pictures myself and put them up on our Banshee Cycling Blog. I have seen tons of the crosses on the side of the road and thought they were silly. That is until I saw the ghost bike.

Jim Price - my your memory be eternal.
Dirt Banshee -

I'm no longer in Colorado; when you get a chance, would you mind posting the text of the note somebody has attached to the bike, that I can see in your photos? I'm glad to see the flowers there, too...

Thanks...

Last edited by brokenrobot; 01-10-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 09:30 PM
dirt Banshee
Are you fast or fat?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Dirt Banshee -

I'm no longer in Colorado; when you get a chance, would you mind posting the text of the note somebody has attached to the bike, that I can see in your photos? I'm glad to see the flowers there, too...

Thanks...
I doesn't say who wrote it. The following is the text of the note attached to the top tube.

I have never met the man who was killed here however reflect upon his tragic death each day that I too ride my bicycle through this intersection. Thinking about this accident makes me look twice before crossing. Maybe his death has already saved mine.

My heart pours out to his family and friends and how that all affected by his loss including the young man who accidentally killed him continue on to lead happy and meaningful lives. This tragic accident has made me realize how fragile our lives are and how we need to look out for each other.
Old 01-19-06, 09:41 PM
roadpig2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a loss to the cycling community.
Old 01-24-06, 12:10 PM
Berodesign

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are no words...
I went here today after beeing away for a couple of months just to see if sydney was around, and then I see this...
May he rest in peace, or in his case, pace, always riding towards that nice sunset with the wind in his back.
Miss you man.
Old 01-26-06, 05:24 PM
stuartmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm relatively new here, but my search of the archives has turned up quite a few insightful "Sydney" posts. As a long time participant of many forums from high-end audio to skiing, I know and appreciate the knowledgable and "cantankerous" posts of folks like Jim Price. I have no doubt that he was a man I would truley enjoy as a friend and riding companion. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and especially with Jim. It is my hope and prayer that he was well acquainted with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that Jim's life was covered by His precious blood. I hope to meet Jim and ride with him in the Kingdom.
Old 02-05-06, 02:39 PM
dirt Banshee
Are you fast or fat?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad to say the "ghost bike" is now gone. It was up for about two and a half weeks.
Old 02-06-06, 11:41 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
https://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

https://www.cyclingforums.com/showthr...91#post2557691
Old 02-07-06, 12:01 AM
Jared88
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too light a sentence if you ask me. He killed a guy.
Old 02-07-06, 07:46 AM
schuss

Bikes: Trek Allant+ 8S Stagger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denver Post: Teen's sentence is safety lesson
The youth, who fatally hit a cyclist after looking at a cellphone, will spend spring break in jail, serve probation and spend 300 hours telling others about the incident.

Castle Rock - A Mountain Vista High School senior will spend spring break in jail and at least 300 hours trying to persuade other teenagers to pay more attention to the road than their cellphones. The 17-year-old's carelessness the day before Thanksgiving caused him to swerve into a bicycle lane and hit retired geologist Jim R. Price. The boy, not named because he is a juvenile, was looking at a text message on his phone as he drove on Wildcat Mountain Reserve Parkway near Summit View Parkway on Nov. 23.

Price, 63, an avid cyclist who lived in Highlands Ranch, died from his injuries two days later.

On Monday, the teenager pleaded guilty to careless driving causing death, which could have led to a jail sentence of five years. After his car struck the bicyclist, the boy stopped immediately, tried to assist Price and called for help. He admitted the accident was his fault and told a sheriff's deputy that he had been distracted by the text message. "If I hadn't been on my cellphone that day, Mr. Price would still be alive," the boy, his cheeks red with emotion, told the judge before sentencing.

He apologized to the Price family. "There are no words to explain to them how sorry I am." Douglas County Court Judge Michelle Marker said she would supervise the teenager's probation. His community service hours will be spent talking to teen groups, driver education classes and cyclist organizations about how his lapse took such a tragic toll. "Nothing I'm going to do is going to make him any more sorry than he is," she said. But sorry wasn't enough. Marker said that the young man should atone for his actions and that others must see the consequences of such carelessness. In addition to four years of probation, the boy must complete at least 300 hours of community service, including 100 hours before his graduation May 25.

One of the boy's friends, 17-year-old Phillip Jackson, was one of the first to arrive at the accident scene. He described it as "surreal" and said his friend's regret has been obvious to everyone who knows him. "I know this has affected not only him but others around him," he said of their classmates.
On the Friday before his spring break, March 24, the convicted teenager must enter the Douglas County jail, and he won't be released until nine days later, the Sunday evening before he returns to school. He also must serve 98 days of house arrest, and he cannot drive a car or own a cellphone.

Price's widow, Shirley; two daughters; and an infant grandchild were in the courtroom. The family accepted his apology and asked the judge to spare him jail. The family asked that he become a spokesman and advocate for safer teen driving. "He has shown remorse. He's not just some punk who doesn't care," said Price's daughter, Jessica. Price's widow declined to testify or comment after the hearing.

Staff writer Joey Bunch can be reached at 303-820-1174 or jbunch@denverpost.com.
Old 02-10-06, 01:45 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gosh, only now I know that sydney's gone forever, I've never been too active on this branch (have too much to learn, not my place to talk), but nearly everytime I had questions he generously spoke out. The first thing that came to mind was Ken Kifer because I found out about his site long after he was killed and I didn't know that, only after I got to know the site like the back of my hands did I realize the fact.

It was mixed feeling, anger, disbelief, sadness. A man died because another's not paying attention. I believe things happen for a purpose and that by his tragic death the general public can hopefully pay more attention to this and, like earlier post said, that we can appreciate life more.
Old 02-21-06, 06:23 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Another ghostbike for the death of Captain Patrick Michael Klokow, USMC, in San Diego.

Last edited by georgiaboy; 04-24-06 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 09:30 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Reading schuss's post made my cry.
Old 04-03-06, 07:07 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was Sydney a U.S. Marine?
Old 04-04-06, 09:00 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No sydney was not a Marine.

Just to let everyone know, Good Morning America is doing a segment on April 10th about distracted
drivers. They have said they are going to include a part about my dad and the kid who hit him.

Kimberlee
Old 04-05-06, 01:53 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spoke too soon about the Good Morning America piece....due to delays they are going to shoot it on April 10th and it will air sometime after that.....I will post that date when they let me know.

Kimberlee
Old 04-05-06, 02:07 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Thanks for the post. Please let us know about the Good Morning American Piece.
Old 04-19-06, 06:43 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the update. I tivo'd that airing and didn't see the report. That explains why.
Old 04-21-06, 04:21 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be thinking of you on the ride of silence <3
Old 04-24-06, 01:37 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
georgiaboy's pic looks an awful lot like the site of the death of Captain Patrick Michael Klokow, USMC, in San Diego. Is it?

He was hit by another inattentive driver in 8/05 and died on the scene. That ghost bike is still there, marking the location. We did a ride of silence for Capt. Klokow. When I go by that site--every couple of weeks--I still get the chills.

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...n24marine.html

I'll always miss these people ... people whom I never met ... and never will meet.

Be safe out there, huh?
Old 04-24-06, 03:57 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Originally Posted by neil0502
georgiaboy's pic looks an awful lot like the site of the death of Captain Patrick Michael Klokow, USMC, in San Diego. Is it?

He was hit by another inattentive driver in 8/05 and died on the scene. That ghost bike is still there, marking the location. We did a ride of silence for Capt. Klokow. When I go by that site--every couple of weeks--I still get the chills.

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...n24marine.html

I'll always miss these people ... people whom I never met ... and never will meet.

Be safe out there, huh?
You are correct. I should have made that more clear. I have edited it.

Here is another picture of Sydney's ghost bike:

Last edited by georgiaboy; 09-01-06 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 07:09 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for that, Georgiaboy.

Aside from having gotten the chills yet again, I can't help but wonder ... is the ghost bike preaching to the choir? I mean: I get it ... you get it ... but do drivers automatically figure out what that means?

Maybe they do. I hope they do.
Old 05-18-06, 06:26 PM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow
Old 06-25-06, 01:08 AM
slim_chestnut
first ATB

Bikes: Custom Electric 36V, Mercian, Klein, Performance, Iron Horse, and many others including home built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reminder of Sydney and his great example. Hope he is not soon forgotten and allthose he helped at least carry on by helping others..
Slim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.