Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 500 Click or Clunk

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 09:47 AM
408mopar

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

This is on an early 80's Motobecane Grand Record.

I recently removed the crankset to clean and regrease the bearings. Since, I have a "clicking" or subtle "clunk" that I feel when pedaling, more than hear. Every half revolution, I feel it as I push downward.

I was able to tighten it and quiet it, but it seems to be getting more persistent. The bearings aren't loose.

Hard to see, but it has a 6 mm allen head screw. That type of fastener seems to limit how much it can be torqued, compared to a hex head.

Is there a way to stop this?
Old 08-16-20, 09:52 AM
AeroGut

Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Any chance you missed a ball bearing or two when you pull it back together?
Old 08-16-20, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,012 Times in 3,448 Posts
Sure, it can be stopped. But you have to find it first. Sometimes coincidental things happen at the time of maintenance that aren't quite related to what was done. Are you certain it's not the pedals. Not an easy thing to check just by spinning them as you don't have your weight on them then. Also, maybe the crank arm is loose or not quite installed correctly because of some trash or simply from wear.

Not sure what BB you have. If it is cup and cone with spindle, then if you put them up with absolutely no play, then IMO, that is too tight. They may have now worn out the races.
Old 08-16-20, 02:44 PM
408mopar

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think the pedals are OK, but I’ll try a different pair. As far as I know I put all the bearings back in, I’ll take a look, I’ll see if they are too tight also. I think it’s the crank arms. Good shape, first time it’s ever been apart.
Thanks for the ideas. Not so smart phone messing me up.