Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What cycling computers interface with the Bontrager DuoCrap?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 02:40 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

I'm considering the possibility that I misunderstood (thanks to my bike shop) what the DuoCrap is. If it's just a sensor, does anyone have a Bluetooth connected bike computer (you know, mounted on your handlebars, not on your watch or phone) that actually reads the data that the duotrap puts out?
Old 08-19-20, 03:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,991 Times in 3,436 Posts
I have no idea what DuoCrap is or what works with it. If it's brown and smells, I'd flush it.

DuoTrap is a speed and cadence sensor that transmits both Ant+ and Bluetooth. So most any thing that receives either Ant+ or Bluetooth should be able to use it. Bluetooth might be trickier though. AFAIK, there isn't a standard for Bluetooth information from sensors. Maybe there is, but I've used Ant+ sensors and devices as long as I've had a GPS/cyclometer on my bike. Ant+ is a well defined open standard for fitness products.

As I mentioned in your other post my son has had one on his bike for quite a few years and I don't know that he's ever had any problems with it. He uses a Garmin 820 and a Vivosmart HR with it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-19-20, 04:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 564 Posts
I know these work great and are nice and small. they connect to my gamin bike computer and to my gamin watch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-19-20, 06:54 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I'm considering the possibility that I misunderstood (thanks to my bike shop) what the DuoCrap is. If it's just a sensor[...]
It's called the "Duotrap S Digital Sensor," and there's nothing to it but a plastic brain that screws into the chainstay, along with magnets for the wheel and crank. There are no wires, no display, and it doesn't even have a speaker - What exactly did you think it was going to do?
Old 08-19-20, 08:14 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Pairs with my Garmin Edge and my Wahoo Element. And my iPhone before Strava killed support for that.
Old 08-20-20, 05:47 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I'm considering the possibility that I misunderstood (thanks to my bike shop) what the DuoCrap is. If it's just a sensor, does anyone have a Bluetooth connected bike computer (you know, mounted on your handlebars, not on your watch or phone) that actually reads the data that the duotrap puts out?
I've had one for years, it's always connected via both BT & ANT+ without issue.
I've used the following computers:
Garmin 820, 530, 920 & 935, sometimes using two at the same time, both with ANT+ or one with BT & one with ANT+.

Last edited by Dancing Skeleton; 08-20-20 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 09:26 AM
Elbeinlaw

ScottRiqui:

This is my first new bike in the wireless era, so when the bike store told me it was a cycling computer, I though of those old wireless plastic computers on my handlebars. They didn't say it was a sensor, I had other fish to fry and didn't check (hanging my head in shame) and only realized over a couple of months that I didn't get what I thought I was getting. To directly answer your question, I thought I was getting something that was a complete computer, which would also transmit to my phone … didn't think I was getting a sensor.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 08-20-20, 09:27 AM
Elbeinlaw

Dancing Skeleton: What are you connecting to? That's my question: what displays ("head units"?) does this damn thing connect to?
Old 08-20-20, 09:31 AM
Elbeinlaw

Iride01: I appreciate your response, thanks. Here's my problem: since I'm new to the whole technology, I don't even know where to start looking for "most anything that receives Ant+ or Bluetooth" even means. I don't know what "devices" you're referring to. And since I've never had a GPS/cyclometer, I don't know which ones might connect through Ant+. If I had one device as an example, I could search for similar ones, but so far, I'm not getting a clue (or not a clue that I understand). I'm absolutely certain that you're all giving me good information, but I'm absolutely certain that you're up there at step 10, and I'm still at 0 trying to figure out where to start.
Old 08-20-20, 09:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Garmin head units use ANT+. Other companies do to.

Phones will use BT but you also need to use a compatible app. Not many phones support ANT+ (you’d need to use a compatible app too).

Trek/Bontrager has a basic (non-gps) computer that uses ANT+ sensors. The advantage of that is you would not need to recharge it (the replaceable battery lasts for months).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-20-20 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 10:38 AM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
ScottRiqui:

This is my first new bike in the wireless era, so when the bike store told me it was a cycling computer, I though of those old wireless plastic computers on my handlebars. They didn't say it was a sensor, I had other fish to fry and didn't check (hanging my head in shame) and only realized over a couple of months that I didn't get what I thought I was getting. To directly answer your question, I thought I was getting something that was a complete computer, which would also transmit to my phone … didn't think I was getting a sensor.

That all makes sense. To get to the basic root of your question, with the Duotrap S you have a sensor that will transmit to any phone or cycling computer that accepts either ANT+ or Bluetooth sensors. ANT+ is pretty much the standard for cycling computers, so you'd have to go out of your way to find one that won't work with the Duotrap S. Here's a database of devices (phones/tablets/watches/cycling computers/etc) that work with ANT+.

You can also use the Duotrap S with any phone cycling app **that pairs with sensors**. The iPhone works with Bluetooth, but doesn't have an ANT+ antenna. Many Android phones have both Bluetooth and ANT+. You'll still need an app that is designed to pair directly with sensors (like Cyclemeter). Strava used to pair with sensors but doesn't any longer.

My setup is to have Cyclemeter on my phone talk to the Duotrap speed and cadence sensors during my ride using Bluetooth (no ANT+ for me since I have an iPhone). Then at the end of the ride, Cyclemeter automatically pushes its recording of my ride to Strava, where I can view my ride on a map as well as all of the analytics associated with the ride (speeds, times, calories burned, estimated power, etc.). If you get a cycling computer like a Garmin, I believe they can also send your ride data to Strava or other data presentation programs.
Old 08-20-20, 10:44 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I use a Garmin 1030 to send the ride data to Strava.

Glenn
Old 08-20-20, 03:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,991 Times in 3,436 Posts
There used to be a phone app I used for a brief time called Orux maps. They had a free version for a while and it connected to BT sensors if I remember correctly. Not sure what's become of them. Haven't used it in six or seven years. I'm sure there are other smartphone apps that do the same if you hunt for them.

Easier..... IMO.... to connect your sensors like DuoTrap to a Garmin Edge or a Wahoo or a Lezyne, then upload all that info together to the site you want to view it on.

If you'd approach this from what GPS device should you get, then you'd learn more. Most cyclometer you get that has a GPS will probably connect to it.

So if you want one, go out and find one that suits your fancy. Then look to see if it will work with DuoTrap before you buy it. If you don't want any, then just ignore the DuoTrap or remove it and give it to someone with a Trek bike that has a frame built to fit it. It's not a big ticket item.
Old 08-22-20, 08:01 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Lots of good information here already. The OP stated he wanted a "Bluetooth connected bike computer", but be aware that an ANT+ connection will work perfectly with the DuoTrap S, too.

Some bike computers are also sold as bundles with sensors included. Be aware that you don't need speed/cadence sensors because you already have them. I've seen bundled deals that include heart rate monitors (chest strap), and whether you want to track this metric is up to you.
Old 08-22-20, 08:43 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Dancing Skeleton: What are you connecting to? That's my question: what displays ("head units"?) does this damn thing connect to?
I have DuoTrap sensors on two of my bikes.
Each one connects to two different Garmin computers via ANT+ while I ride, my FR935 & Edge 530.
I've also used my old Garmin 920XT & Edge 820.
The DuoTrap will connect to any bike computer/head unit that is compatible with ANT+ and/or BT sensors.

I did have one go bad in the past, but that was after years of use. The lights on the sensor didn't come on.
Are you sure that the battery on yours is good?

I hope that this helps.
Old 08-24-20, 11:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Question NB: not so common sense..

Considered they used ones they made to go with their bikes?

Old 08-25-20, 06:53 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Considered they used ones they made to go with their bikes?

??? This doesn't make any sense.

​​

Days ago,​ ​​​it was made clear in this thread that the Duotrap sensors are just like any other ANT+/BT sensor and works with any head unit that supports ANT+ (Garmin, for example) and phones.
Old 08-25-20, 07:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I don't care really.
Old 08-25-20, 08:43 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I don't care really.
That's stupid.

Why did you the hell did you post then?

If you don't care, don't post.

In any case, don't post nonsense.
Old 08-29-20, 09:04 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Any of the Garmin Edge units will connect over Ant+ and/or BLE for some units. I have the Duotrap on my Domane and have it synced to both my 530 and Fenix 5X. You can pick up an Edge 130+ for $200. My 530 was $300.
Old 09-02-20, 04:42 PM
ihopalot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would consider a new bike store. I mean if they mis led you on something as minor as a sensor I couldn’t even imagine what else ty scammed you on. The DuoTrap I an excellent sensor. Make sure the crank magnet is in the right position. I’ve had mine pairs to my WaHoo element Bol for years. Never ever any connection problems with my computer
Old 09-02-20, 06:42 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by ihopalot
I would consider a new bike store. I mean if they mis led you on something as minor as a sensor I couldn’t even imagine what else ty scammed you on.
Why are you sure the shop is the problem here?

Seems like the OP is confused about some basic stuff.

Clearly, his bike didn't have any sort of display.
Old 09-02-20, 07:27 PM
ihopalot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clearly one of us didn’t read his original question and clearly it wasn’t me 😇
just saying
A “new rider” many questions, which is expected and the lbs clearly wasn’t listening as clearly as someone is clearly not reading
Old 09-03-20, 06:24 AM
Elbeinlaw

Hold on- -

No need to fight over me, gentlemen.

I definitely need a new LBS. They stuck. On the other hand, they're underway with Covid cycling volume, and they're cycling guys, not education or salesman. And LBSs are closing all over because they can't compete with IN stores. Perfect storm

As for me, I certain should have known more. But it's hard to know what you don't know. Usually I research the hell out of anything In buying- - this time I relied on simmering else to guide me on new technology and got a hot mess. But in my defense, you can't know what you can't know and this is these guys job.

A bigger perfect storm. Responsibility all around. OK? No need for yall to snipe at each other.

I want to add that before anyone posts they should ask: will this be helpful judgemental? If helpful, great. If not, think twice. (Is telling anyone they're stupid ever helpful?)
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 09-03-20, 09:36 AM
njkayaker

I want to add that before anyone posts they should ask: will this be helpful judgemental?
Calling it "Duocrap" is judgemental. So, you don't really follow your recommendations.

This is my first new bike in the wireless era, so when the bike store told me it was a cycling computer, I though of those old wireless plastic computers on my handlebars
This doesn't make any sense. Even if that's what they told you, how did you suppose you'd see the numbers? You didn't ask "where is the display?".

But it's hard to know what you don't know. Usually I research the hell out of anything In buying- - this time I relied on simmering else to guide me on new technology and got a hot mess. But in my defense, you can't know what you can't know and this is these guys job.
You knew what a cycling computer was (a small display on the handle bar). It should have been clear to you that you didn't have anything like that.

It doesn't seem you did any research before you started asking questions here. It doesn't seem you've done any research in the month since you brought this up. That doesn't square with somebody who "researches the hell out of anything In buying".

This has been going on for over a month and you still haven't resolved it.

The "hot mess" (which is a silly exaggeration) is really mostly on you.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-20 at 09:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.