Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wet inside the tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wet inside the tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 01:03 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet inside the tube

About 5 to 6 month ago I sprayed something like WD40 or similar stuff (I suppose) into the frame and forgot to let it dry before I put the seatpost back (didn't take the BB off when I sprayed that stuff in). Then a couple of days ago when I remember about the whole thing I put the frame upside down and to my horror that stuff was still in its liquid form and coming out of the frame. And there're already some rusts inside.

What should I do? Should I just use frame saver and remeber not to repeat my stupid mistake? Or should I use WD40 first to get rid of the rust then frame saver?
Old 02-10-06, 01:31 PM
TallRider

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You should remove the headset and BB and stuff, and let the frame drain from a variety of angles, wipe areas you can reach with a rag or paper towel, and then use frame saver.
Old 02-10-06, 01:39 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Will the frame saver get rid of the existing rust as well?
Old 02-10-06, 05:39 PM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schumius
Thanks for the quick reply!

Will the frame saver get rid of the existing rust as well?
no.
Old 02-10-06, 05:48 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just curious,but why would the WD40 cause rust?I thought it was just a thin oil that displaces water and coats the bare metal?Thanks,Charlie
Old 02-10-06, 06:47 PM
spunkyruss

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Just curious,but why would the WD40 cause rust?I thought it was just a thin oil that displaces water and coats the bare metal?Thanks,Charlie
It didn't cause the rust. The rust was already there. The rust became suspended in the WD40 and was carried in the WD40 when it drained. Think of it like rinsing away dirt with some water.

WD40 is a poor choice for lubrication or rust protection, but it does not induce rust.
Old 02-10-06, 11:30 PM
spinbackle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try and remove as much WD40 as possible. I don't know how well Framesaver will stick to an interior tube that has any traces of lube in it.
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 02-11-06, 01:02 AM
Seggybop
o.O

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40 inside a frame isn't going to be a problem... it's actually a fairly good substitute for frame saver if you're really cheap.
Old 02-11-06, 07:30 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take off your seat stem; BB; and headset. In other words, I would personally remove all components and hang the frame up and rotate positions to allow to dry slowly (apply low heat if you have the means to safely do so to dry). Then use a commercial bike product to coat the interior frame.
Old 02-11-06, 12:45 PM
spunkyruss

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just drop a match down the seat tube
Old 02-12-06, 03:31 AM
Schumius
senile member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no way I can get Frame Saver for less than $30 so I'm thinking of alternatives, will undercoating (is it the same with rustproofing?) stuff do the trick?

I'm thinking, should I spray something in first to get rid of the WD40?
Old 02-12-06, 05:47 AM
MichaelW

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Leave the WD40 inside. I use it as a frame protector and it works well in wet and coastal conditions over many years.
WD40 will displace any water. If you spray it into a damp tube, the water will gather at the bottom and needs to be drained.
If your bb shell is open to the seat tube, drill a small drain hole at the bottom.
Old 02-12-06, 10:40 AM
San Rensho 

Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but next time I have my bike apart I'm going to use a marine rust remover (phosphoric acid based). It reacts with the rust and turns it into an inert compound.
Old 02-12-06, 02:45 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no way I can get Frame Saver for less than $30 so I'm thinking of alternatives, will undercoating (is it the same with rustproofing?) stuff do the trick?

I'm thinking, should I spray something in first to get rid of the WD40?

I had trouble getting Wiegel Framesaver at all because of shipping regulations (flammible?).
I ended up using Boiled Linseed Oil. Works GREAT. Dries to something resembling hard cheese. Seems to be preventing corrosion in my CrMo frame.

I'd clean the WD40 out first though. Might flush the frame with kerosene (fuel kerosene, not wax) and let it evaporate.
Old 02-12-06, 10:15 PM
Schumius
senile member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by af895
(flammible?).

I'd clean the WD40 out first though. Might flush the frame with kerosene (fuel kerosene, not wax) and let it evaporate.
Yeah because it cannot be shipped by air so the only option left is by ocean, and anything under 5 pound would cost around $22.75.

Is kerosene also used as a kind of solvent?
Old 02-12-06, 10:51 PM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah because it cannot be shipped by air so the only option left is by ocean, and anything under 5 pound would cost around $22.75.

Is kerosene also used as a kind of solvent?
Yes ,it is.
But my goodness it is flammable
so is gasoline, Naphta & so on.....
My preference is Gasoline & after i am done using it i feed it to the weeds.
Old 02-13-06, 07:59 AM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A can of brakeclean will cut that WD-40, should dry residue free and be much better solution than gas or kerosine IMO.
Old 02-13-06, 08:10 AM
Schumius
senile member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, think I'll go get a can of brakeclean.

Last edited by Schumius; 02-13-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 10:37 AM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sngltrackdufus
Yes ,it is.
But my goodness it is flammable
so is gasoline, Naphta & so on.....
My preference is Gasoline & after i am done using it i feed it to the weeds.
Dumping gasoline on the ground is awful! Gasoline contains MTBE, which easily moves through groundwater and shows up in the drinking water supply.