Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moving forward

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Moving forward

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 08:38 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
1. They look like they'd easily unclip when pulling up on climbs or sprints. Very bad time for it to happen.
2. What does the cleat look like ?
3. Someone was worried about heels down. I often stretch by pushing my heel down to the road while coasting.
4. Clipping in speed is meaningless. Unless they're so problematic it take 30 seconds each.
5. Another company made similar pedals in the 1980s, but didn't catch on.

ps... "orient", not "orientate"

irregardless.... Good Luck

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 11-05-20, 09:01 AM
Pitbull pedal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
1. On post #18 in this thread I had mentioned that it has a full adjustable tension spring that carries a crazy amount of load. More than ample to pull up with.
2. The cleat is a glass filled 3 hole molded cleat, roughly 2.25" wide and it has a single 2.25" non slip rubber pad for walking. As far as walking with just our one bar design it makes walking in to get a cup of coffee or Gatorade relatively simple. But it is not a sneaker haha.
3. That should be absolutely no issue to stretch your calf or leg, there should be no chance of any slippage.
4. As a newbie learning to use the standard clip in pedal we felt it was a long learning curve. Our system is much easier to engage and you are looking back up at the road in front of you much sooner which we believe even makes it safer. There is a race out in CA where you start from a dead stop and you must clip in extremely fast, but I cannot remember the name of it, its only about 1/4 mi long straight up the hill.
5. Those pedals may of been similar but I promise that they were nothing like this. The simplicity of what we have created I truly can't believe. There are no moving parts, it'll come with fantastic warranties, etc.

Thanks
Old 11-05-20, 09:04 AM
Pitbull pedal

Through the years we've made some low quality YouTube videos, if you would like to see them here is the channel.
Old 11-05-20, 12:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7709 Post(s)
Liked 3,641 Times in 1,915 Posts
As for ease of clipping in and out, this was discussed in the thread where these pedals were introduced.

Someone who rides centuries on empty rural roads doesn't need these (and likely, if the cleat and pedal in combination weight more that 250 g, there is little weight savings over Shimano-style pedals..)

For people who commute, or ride in urban areas, or suburban, these might be useful. I have to stop at numerous intersections. Some of them are left turns---unavoidably-- and often I need to clip in really fast. More often, I find myself not getting clipped in.

One of the reasons I like the Xpresso pedals is I can pedal securely on the bottom of the pedal, at least long enough to get across the road. It is far from ideal, but safer than some other pedals I have used ... XT MTB pedals are decent but still it can take some time to find the cleat and get perfect alignment.

Once I get out of town, the pedals don't matter, but the few miles right around my house, both coming and going, present some uneasy moments every time.

The Bulldog pedals could make my rides just a little safer and little less stressful. If they don't weigh more than the competition, but offer the benefit of extra-easy and certain clip-in, that would be enough of a selling point when my current pedals wear out.
Old 11-05-20, 01:28 PM
Pitbull pedal

Right now the pedals that have gone through the ISO testing do weigh more than the Shimano's. We have another pedal that we are assembling now that weighs 95g total. Which we think would be the lightest of all. Personally myself, I think that all the weight issues in cycling is just a sales pitch by companies that want people to buy pedals for hundreds of dollars. Just like the super lightweight bikes that people buy and that will never be able to get the performance out of them because they are out of shape and weigh 50lbs over their ideal bike weight.

Biking is fantastic and it has changed our lives. I think that I'm in the best shape of my life right now as far as cardio strength. We just think these pedals are all around a better pedal as you can get into them so quick your eyes are back on the road immediately. As far as urban riders and I mean truly in downtown cities I don't think they should use a clip in pedal, and just use a flat pedal. I wouldn't even buy a road bike and I'd get something more comfortable. This is just my opinion.

With our 360 degree engagement we feel like we're the easiest to clip into and the fastest.

Thanks for the encouragement, hopefully ours will buy what you'd buy once they get to market. Hope you have a great ride.
Old 11-05-20, 01:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
In theory, it occurs to me that since the pedal itself is relatively quite narrow (fore/aft dimension), that this could imply there's a way to design much greater ability to adjust the cleat clamp fore/aft as well.. eg. to more easily get to a mid-foot position if there are those that find that appealing.
Old 11-05-20, 03:20 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 160 Posts
Another free bit of marketing advice: Be clear in who you're targeting and what the points-of-difference and brand benefits are for that target. You have said (a lot) these are ideal for racing. And, you've said weight doesn't matter much, most riders are out of shape/50 lbs overweight. Unless you're targeting Clydes, you're all over the place.

The speed at which one clips in is simply not a factor in racing. It just isn't.

Maelochs may have nailed it - commuters. In and out of their pedals - over and over, dealing with cars; having to keep eyes up, etc. Could be a great market for this pedal.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 11-05-20, 03:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Another free bit of marketing advice: Be clear in who you're targeting and what the points-of-difference and brand benefits are for that target. You have said (a lot) these are ideal for racing. And, you've said weight doesn't matter much, most riders are out of shape/50 lbs overweight. Unless you're targeting Clydes, you're all over the place.

The speed at which one clips in is simply not a factor in racing. It just isn't.

Maelochs may have nailed it - commuters. In and out of their pedals - over and over, dealing with cars; having to keep eyes up, etc. Could be a great market for this pedal.
I’d love to see where he got the statistic that “most riders are 50 pounds overweight”.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-06-20, 07:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7709 Post(s)
Liked 3,641 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitbull pedal
As far as urban riders and I mean truly in downtown cities I don't think they should use a clip in pedal, and just use a flat pedal. .
I attribute my continued existence to the fact that I used flat pedals while I was urban commuting. Being completely able to get off and away from the bike , and having zero impediment to getting on and going or stopping and getting off, definitely helped .... plenty of crashes would have been a lot worse had I not been able to get away from the bike to land properly and where I wanted---instead of badly and right ion the path of oncoming traffic.
Personally myself, I think that all the weight issues in cycling is just a sales pitch by companies that want people to buy pedals for hundreds of dollars. Just like the super lightweight bikes that people buy and that will never be able to get the performance out of them because they are out of shape and weigh 50lbs over their ideal bike weight.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I’d love to see where he got the statistic that “most riders are 50 pounds overweight”.
I am an overachiever---I am 70-80 pounds over optimal weight.

However, I have a couple of pretty light bikes, and I really like them. With bikes ranging between sub-17 lbs (road-ready with lights and cages and tools and tubes and all that() and a couple ten or more pounds heavier, I can tell what weight is about---I see how it affects my pace on any given day (not at all---sleep, food, rest, and attitude make all the difference) but also I can see a certain joy in a lighter bike ....

And after having spent X number of dollars to make a bike light ... all that extra money is wasted if I then try to save a couple bucks and add heavy components. it just doesn't make sense.

Not telling anyone else what to ride .... but if weight didn't matter why wouldn't we all still be riding 46-pound steel Schwinns? After all, a thread here clearly asserts that heavier bikes are better .... and another informs us that cycling is a poor form of exercise anyway ......
Old 11-06-20, 09:54 AM
Pitbull pedal

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
In theory, it occurs to me that since the pedal itself is relatively quite narrow (fore/aft dimension), that this could imply there's a way to design much greater ability to adjust the cleat clamp fore/aft as well.. eg. to more easily get to a mid-foot position if there are those that find that appealing.
Unfortunately in this particular pedal we do not have fore/aft adjustment. We have left and right + some float for forgiveness. If we find out that this becomes an issue we may be able to make some adjustments. Or I think that you can buy a separate plate that moves a cleat backwards, don't quote me I just think I remember seeing one.

Originally Posted by Zaskar

Thanks and I do somewhat agree. That is why we have 2 different pedals. One weighs a little more and it will come with a lifetime warranty, and the other only weighs 95g with a shorter warranty and we are designating that pedal as the racing pedal or for someone who is extremely conscious of grams.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It was only my opinion, there are a lot of riders out there that do not maintain their optimum race weight. I believe many people try to buy speed by buying lightweight items, aero bars, etc. Where in my opinion it all boils down to heart/lungs/legs.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I attribute my continued existence to the fact that I used flat pedals while I was urban commuting. Being completely able to get off and away from the bike , and having zero impediment to getting on and going or stopping and getting off, definitely helped .... plenty of crashes would have been a lot worse had I not been able to get away from the bike to land properly and where I wanted---instead of badly and right ion the path of oncoming traffic.
I am an overachiever---I am 70-80 pounds over optimal weight.

However, I have a couple of pretty light bikes, and I really like them. With bikes ranging between sub-17 lbs (road-ready with lights and cages and tools and tubes and all that() and a couple ten or more pounds heavier, I can tell what weight is about---I see how it affects my pace on any given day (not at all---sleep, food, rest, and attitude make all the difference) but also I can see a certain joy in a lighter bike ....

And after having spent X number of dollars to make a bike light ... all that extra money is wasted if I then try to save a couple bucks and add heavy components. it just doesn't make sense.

Not telling anyone else what to ride .... but if weight didn't matter why wouldn't we all still be riding 46-pound steel Schwinns? After all, a thread here clearly asserts that heavier bikes are better .... and another informs us that cycling is a poor form of exercise anyway ......
You wrote quite a lot and I'll try to give some thoughts on my behalf. If you ride a bicycle I think that you should use flat pedals. Once you desire to become a cyclist and go to a non-comfortable bike with drop handlebars I think that is when clip in pedals come into play. That is why we offer 2 different ones with much different weight values.

As far as a lighter bike typically they look visually a lot better especially when you've put nice wheels on them, and the aero design really gives them a fantastic look. But no matter what you will still have to pedal the bike and it all comes down to heart/lungs/legs.

That is why we offer 2 different versions.

I think people have been conditioned with brilliant sales tactics into thinking every gram makes a difference. Even if you take it all the way to the Tour those bikes are so light they have to add weight just to be legal. As far as bicycle and fitness goes I feel in the best physical shape of my life. We started out like any newbie would ride and it was exhausting. Now I ride over 60mi a week (3 20mi+ rides a week) and I do a lot of interval training/long sprints and bridge climbing in those rides. So if you are a cyclist and trained properly I think a bike will take someone to a level they never thought they could achieve.
Old 11-06-20, 11:18 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts

If you ride a bicycle I think that you should use flat pedals. Once you desire to become a cyclist and go to a non-comfortable bike with drop handlebars I think that is when clip in pedals come into play.
Ridiculous...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 11-07-20, 10:03 AM
Pitbull pedal

Old 11-10-20, 08:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4027 Post(s)
Liked 7,579 Times in 3,041 Posts
Unfortunately in this particular pedal we do not have fore/aft adjustment ... If we find out that this becomes an issue we may be able to make some adjustments. Or I think that you can buy a separate plate that moves a cleat backwards, don't quote me I just think I remember seeing one.
Please tell me you're joking about this.
Likes For tomato coupe: