Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old 1986 Panasonic bike solder plasters on bottom bracket.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 07:22 PM
xtc14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is this frame safe to ride? Regrettably bought this Panasonic bike a while ago online and at the time didn't registered the weld plast on the bottom bracket area, the frame has some dents which makes me wonder if a hit happened on the BB area and the fact that it was repainted.

I rode it one time on a 66km bike ride and felt fine, haven't rode since I was getting some Microshift Brifters to have indexed shifting. What do you guys think? I would use the frame sparingly as a secondary bike, but the welds make me nervous.

Old 11-24-20, 08:27 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 683 Posts
You are right, in that that looks like it has been welded and ground. Is that red paint original Panasonic paint or has the frame been repainted. I can't imagine why there should be anything that looks like a weld on the bottom bracket.

On the other hand, the drive side cup is threaded in. The cup doesn't appear to be painted. The fact that you rode it and had no problems is a good sign.

You might have to remove the drive side cup to learn more.

Can we get a picture of the whole bike and the model?
Old 11-24-20, 08:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
Looks to me that the weld is for keeping the fixed cup in place, and the whole thing was painted afterward. You can get an idea of the extra painted width by the location of the gear cable guide in reference to the BB shell. Personally I'd pass on riding something with such a repair; I might end up walking home when I should be riding

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 11-24-20 at 08:39 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-24-20, 08:49 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's a really ugly weld. And, what could have possibly happened to make that repair necessary? Did somebody accidentally back over the bike with a car? Ouch!
Old 11-24-20, 09:26 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 683 Posts
That would be really hard to damage the bottom bracket in such a way that a weld repair is possible without the whole frame being damaged as well, unless the kids go a hold of a plasma cutter and were looking for something to cut.

Drillium Dude may be right in that perhaps the drive side theading got stripped the owner decided to shove the cup back in and weld it. If I were going to do that (which I wouldn't), I would have done "rosette" welds. The type where you drill a hole and weld the two parts together inside the hole.

Is it possible that someone welded a line to get the steel bottom bracket to pull in a little?

I had been going on the idea that the frame was not painted. But If the frame is painted just in that area, then it looks like a shabby repair.
Old 11-24-20, 09:57 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 344 Posts
If you rode it already, and it works fine, then just keep on riding it until you cant anymore..Why fix something that Aint broken.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 11-25-20, 12:59 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 288 Posts
+1 on that.

Whatever was done there, by whoever, I can't imagine for even a brief second that frame left the Panasonic production line in that condition. Has to be a post-production repair and respray. Wouldn't make any sense to take a newly-built frame that needed that much repair off the line, then hand it to a worker to do a sloppy repair. I also can't imagine how either a machine brazing on an assembly line, or a human worker with a torch, could damage a brand-new bb shell in such a way that would require a repair like that.

None of that adds up in my mind.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
You are right, in that that looks like it has been welded and ground. Is that red paint original Panasonic paint or has the frame been repainted. I can't imagine why there should be anything that looks like a weld on the bottom bracket.
[snips]
Old 11-25-20, 01:59 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 2,129 Posts
It's been shoddily repaired, but if you do enjoy the bike as it is now, I'd pull the cranks and BB to inspect the BB shell first before calling it a lost cause.

-Kurt

Old 11-26-20, 09:49 AM
xtc14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply so far,

I'm attaching some pictures of the bike.
It came with Shimano 600 components, the seller said the original color frame had yellow, and the serial number is 7E01070, from what I've seen on the catalogue of 1986 none of those bikes resemble this one's seller description.

I don't have the tool to remove the bottom bracket, I'll have to leave it to be inspected by a LBS to have a look inside the BB. As I said, the ride feels fine, although I've not been able to adjust the front derailleur to not rub against the chain when on the highest rear cog.

Old 11-26-20, 05:52 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 2,129 Posts
Rear dropout looks as if it's been pried open a bit. Can be fixed, but always a bit chancy.

Still think that a looksee of the BB area with the crank and BB removed wouldn't be a bad idea.

-Kurt

Old 11-30-20, 09:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 877 Posts
The front derailer running out of travel suggests too long of a bb spindle is in there.
Old 12-06-20, 07:50 PM
xtc14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dddd
The front derailer running out of travel suggests too long of a bb spindle is in there.
I've the 7th gear making the chain rub on the FD, already tried adjusting.
The LBS disassembled the BB, they say is fine. I messaged the seller of this bike and got no reply.

There's another issue with the bike, when I got it it had a 27.2 short Campagnolo seat post. Apparently they figured it's better to stick a bigger diameter seat post than find the appropriate one. I put a 26.8 seat post (as it is the same size used on another used '85 DX-3000 I bought earlier and went in but at the part where you put the seat post binder it has some play and even after tightening the seat post slipped. I put a small piece of can sheet and it stopped the play but haven't ridden the bike to confirm the slippage is fixed.

Such a shame that poor mechanics or individuals don't take proper care of a fine japanese frame.
Old 12-07-20, 04:32 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2546 Post(s)
Liked 3,370 Times in 2,113 Posts
That's a really neat Panasonic. Worth the small "adjustments" you are making. If the BB BLOBB is making you itch, but it is sound (as the LBS stated), you could probably sand it down some...but it is hidden so you might be better off not doing so.

Check the frame alignment, see what a 27.0 post might do, and ride it!

Nice little girl/guy you have there.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 12-08-20, 09:00 PM
xtc14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
That's a really neat Panasonic. Worth the small "adjustments" you are making. If the BB BLOBB is making you itch, but it is sound (as the LBS stated), you could probably sand it down some...but it is hidden so you might be better off not doing so.

Check the frame alignment, see what a 27.0 post might do, and ride it!

Nice little girl/guy you have there.
The seatpost slipping was fixed with a piece of soda can wedged between the seatpost and seat tube, rode today and even hanged for some laps with folks riding carbon, and no problem whatsoever, so I think I'll keep the bike.

Thanks regarding the little cat.