Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mud on asphalt....particularly treacherous?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mud on asphalt....particularly treacherous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 04:10 AM
Wattsup

Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
It's different in asphalt. It's like you have tons of trip one moment and zero grip the next. Things are much less progressive and transition a lot sharper so can catch you totally by surprise.

Thus patch of dirt or sand or mud in the pavement is quite dangerous. I almost fell over one but lucky enough to stick my foot out in time and regained control after "fish tailing".
I know! A little sand on the asphalt going around a turn and you can go down. I've been there.
Old 12-11-20, 09:00 PM
Wattsup

Well, I was out on the trail again today. I now know why I fell. I almost fell again today! The front tire doesn't have enough tread on it. I'm running Teravail Cannonballs in 42mm at 38psi. They don't have a lot of tread to begin with when new, but what tread they do have is remarkably grippy. There's very little left though on my front tire. Today I was on some moist dirt, and as I was approaching a few very small bumps, I took some weight off the seat. When I went over the bump, the frame got a little action in it, since I had taken some weight off the seat, and that front wheel wouldn't stay put. It slipped left, almost threw me off the bike to the right, just like what happened the other day on moist grass. Same exact conditions, took some weight off the seat. Same exact startled feeling. So I need a new front tire.

I'm thinking of putting something more surefooted up front. I was looking at that Teravail Rutland. Maybe even in 47's. I have a brand new Cannonball 42 on the rear.
Old 12-11-20, 09:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,125 Times in 3,129 Posts
Mud can be treacherous, but fresh dog poo can be life threatening. Ever skid through it and have it hit your back? I haven either, but it paints a pretty bad picture.

Old 12-11-20, 09:54 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by rsbob
Mud can be treacherous, but fresh dog poo can be life threatening. Ever skid through it and have it hit your back? I haven either, but it paints a pretty bad picture.
I've ridden through plenty of horse manure! With no fenders!
Old 12-11-20, 10:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,125 Times in 3,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I've ridden through plenty of horse manure! With no fenders!
Now that is what I call manly. And no whining about it gets you double bonus points!

Old 12-12-20, 07:05 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
There's this section of bike path around here that has some invisible moss growing that gets slick whenever it rains. Takes about two days to dry out. At 20mph, you're a dead man. 12mph, you stand a chance. Maybe.
Old 12-12-20, 07:16 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
There's this section of bike path around here that has some invisible moss growing that gets slick whenever it rains. Takes about two days to dry out. At 20mph, you're a dead man. 12mph, you stand a chance. Maybe.
Great, invisible moss. I guess you learned about the "invisible" moss the hard way, right? That's the thing, education in this realm can be so painful. I've ridden over patches of ice on trails with no problem. I've been in all sorts of mud. And then one day, at 5 mph on some moist grass, the bike spits me off. Now I'm paranoid, out shopping for knobbies. I'll probably overdo it with these Rutlands and then learn some new lesson. I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to wear lightweight "defensive" gear, like elbow pads, wrist braces, hip pads, ......I'm just going through the list of what hurt after my worst fall. It was ribs, shoulder, knee, head, in that order.
Likes For Wattsup:
Old 12-12-20, 10:20 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
the horse problem..

Two years ago a small group of us ran through (and thus brought with us) pony poo on our backs when we would stop at a local diner for an after ride beer and burger. The owner was a local who sometimes joined us noted the problem (or maybe other customers did!) and now there is - before Covid- a picnic table for outside dining post-ride,
Old 12-12-20, 04:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Liked 1,077 Times in 686 Posts
We are now to the part of the year where our trails have many places with saturated silt over crushed stone and clay. Not deep but slippery unless frozen.

I have switched over to the wheels with 26x2.2 Continental Race King tires. They are small knob tires that clear mud well and provide just the right grip into that shallow slippery layer. Also am using the Protection version that still manages to roll pretty well on firm surfaces.

It’s also helpful that I switched from drop bars to swept bars on my vintage MTB, so I can keep my weight back and really feel in control as I pedal through those stretches.

Otto
Old 12-12-20, 04:32 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by ofajen
We are now to the part of the year where our trails have many places with saturated silt over crushed stone and clay. Not deep but slippery unless frozen.

I have switched over to the wheels with 26x2.2 Continental Race King tires. They are small knob tires that clear mud well and provide just the right grip into that shallow slippery layer. Also am using the Protection version that still manages to roll pretty well on firm surfaces.

It’s also helpful that I switched from drop bars to swept bars on my vintage MTB, so I can keep my weight back and really feel in control as I pedal through those stretches.

Otto
Yep, I have the same idea. It's getting sloppy here too, and I'm very motivated to stay upright this winter. The replacement helmets are starting to add up. I just ordered a pair of Teravail Rutland in 47's, durable casing. I'm using Cannonballs in 42 now. 47's are the widest my bike will allow. As far as weight shift, I put Surly Moloko bars on the bike with a Shimano XT groupset.. The bar is swept back, but it also has the two extensions pointing forward, kind of like aerobars. The bike's anything but aero though. It's a Salsa Vaya, high stack, short-ish reach. When I have my hands on the extensions, it's like riding on the hoods on a drop bar. In the rough stuff, the hands move back for stability.
Old 12-12-20, 04:36 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Two years ago a small group of us ran through (and thus brought with us) pony poo on our backs when we would stop at a local diner for an after ride beer and burger. The owner was a local who sometimes joined us noted the problem (or maybe other customers did!) and now there is - before Covid- a picnic table for outside dining post-ride,
So rather than attempting a last-second, risky maneuver to avoid the pile of poop once you've spotted it, you can barrel right through it, knowing there's a still a place set for you at the table.
Old 12-12-20, 08:23 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Liked 410 Times in 264 Posts
Wet GEORGIA CLAY (red clay) which accumulates on numerous paved country roads because of natural erosion and construction run off, is as slippery as fresh dog doo.
You don't need very much there and most folks don't think there is much there because you can visibly see the blacktop pavement, but this Georgia Clay is a huge contributing factor to many auto accidents on winding roads (most being single car accidents due to loss of control..), and is lethal to many motorcycle riders, even on flat straight roads. This is as close to ice as it gets in the deep south but too many dumbasses aren't aware or just don't respect the prevailing road conditions. Bicyclists usually don't crash as much as motorcyclist do when wet Georgia clay is lightly covering the asphalt, because the motorcyclist typically is travelling at 3x the typical speed of the bicycle rider.
Old 12-14-20, 10:50 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Wet GEORGIA CLAY (red clay) which accumulates on numerous paved country roads because of natural erosion and construction run off, is as slippery as fresh dog doo.
You don't need very much there and most folks don't think there is much there because you can visibly see the blacktop pavement, but this Georgia Clay is a huge contributing factor to many auto accidents on winding roads (most being single car accidents due to loss of control..), and is lethal to many motorcycle riders, even on flat straight roads. This is as close to ice as it gets in the deep south but too many dumbasses aren't aware or just don't respect the prevailing road conditions. Bicyclists usually don't crash as much as motorcyclist do when wet Georgia clay is lightly covering the asphalt, because the motorcyclist typically is travelling at 3x the typical speed of the bicycle rider.
I'm glad I don't live in Georgia! So...how many helmets did I say I've trashed since I started the thread in Aug of 2018? I'm up to three!
Old 12-14-20, 11:47 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I too took a spill on wet muddy concrete

I was leading a new rider for an easy park ride and there was a curvy walk way that I have ridden through many times....but parks dept wet that area and a bit of red clay mud was mixed in....wasn't going all that fast and my road bike slipped right under from me...got up and brushed off....but the new rider looked panicked.....next day my hand and knee was hurting.....it was just like ice....the new rider hasn't called me to ride yet again.
Old 12-15-20, 12:04 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Tpsfoto
I was leading a new rider for an easy park ride and there was a curvy walk way that I have ridden through many times....but parks dept wet that area and a bit of red clay mud was mixed in....wasn't going all that fast and my road bike slipped right under from me...got up and brushed off....but the new rider looked panicked.....next day my hand and knee was hurting.....it was just like ice....the new rider hasn't called me to ride yet again.
Man! I have to keep an eye out for that slippery stuff. What color is it?
Old 12-15-20, 12:56 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
It was wet and slightly brown/red