Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommend helmet mounted light

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 01:32 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a bar mounted light I’m not happy with (cables obscure light beam). I’m thinking a helmet mount might be better.

any recommendations for night riding on partially lit roads?

thanks
Old 12-06-20, 02:35 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 740 Times in 377 Posts
Big fan of Zebralights for helmet use.
https://zebralight.3dcartstores.com/...amp_p_215.html
Old 12-07-20, 11:58 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by znomit
Big fan of Zebralights for helmet use.
https://zebralight.3dcartstores.com/...amp_p_215.html
Thanks for the response. Are helmet mounted lights just not that popular?

I'm surprised there wasn't more of a response unless they are disliked. I may be missing something (never tried one while riding)
Old 12-08-20, 07:59 AM
sloppy12

Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I carry a wowtac(made by thrunite) a2s. I also have a thrunite th30 and whatever came out before that one. they all work great are not bike specific so cost is reasonable. I use the wowtacs at work and they take a beating. also have a olight something little compact job and its pretty nice to.

I only really use the helmet light on bikes I dont ride allot and dont have any other lights mounted. Honestly I dont know why I dont always use them because they do work great.
Old 12-08-20, 08:00 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,781 Times in 1,277 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I'm surprised there wasn't more of a response unless they are disliked. I may be missing something (never tried one while riding)
I think most road riders like their lights on the handlebars or otherwise fixed to the bike.

Mountain bikers are more likely to want a helmet mount light, you might want to try that subforum or the electronics one. Good luck!

You may also be able to find a helmet mount for your current light.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 12-08-20, 10:22 AM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have an older light with a larger battery pack on a cable. The light lives on it's own helmet so it's always mounted, and the battery pack goes in pack or jacket pocket.

This type seems to have lost favor, but has long run time and is light weight on the head. A bit of hassle with the cable & battery pack.

I use it in addition to bar mounted light for off road & high traffic urban riding, but don't bother for less demanding night riding.

Have you tried mounting your light under the bars, an out-front computer type mount, or even adjusting cable length & placement?
Old 12-11-20, 04:54 PM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I have an older version of the Light and Motion VIS 360 that I quite like. They make a newer version the VIS 360 Pro.

I am a big fan of helmet lights combined with a fixed bike light. This way you have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-12-20, 05:21 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Lupine makes some world class helmet cycling lights.. LUPINE.COM... I have many many Lights from Lupine.. If you want the best then look no further..

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/bike_light_sets.asp
Old 12-24-20, 08:55 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
I used a Bontrager 400 light. It can fasten to your handlebars OR your helmet. It's my backup to the 2 Lezyne 1300 lights I carry on the handlebars on my gravel bike. One of them lasts 2 hours on "Bright".... at which point I turn the 2nd one on... and still have my helmet light if I need it.

I do NOT want to be without good light while riding at night! :-)

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 12-24-20, 09:33 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Some of my bikes have the cables in front of the light making thin shadows. I just ride that way. been averaging 5 or 6 hours in the dark most weeks for around 3 decades.

Trekmogul is right, Lupine are the best lights. I always have back up head and tail lights too. Used to get home after midnight. Once about 2:00 am. That was a152 mile ride, I don't want lighting problems when 75 miles from home . When I know I have 4 or 5 hours in the dark I use a light that will go 8 hours. That allows plenty of time for a flat etc. Also batteries don't run as long below freezing.
My Lupine Wilma probably has 10 thousand miles on it. So does my old Lupine Edison 10. Read about Lupine lights.
Old 12-26-20, 06:50 PM
Symox

Got a great light for Christmas

I friggin love this thing. Not only is it lighter, brighter and smaller than any light I’ve used, it has both front and rear lights on the same unit when mounted on the helmet. I’ve removed the separate rear light I had mounted on my bike. I much prefer helmet mounting to handlebar mounting - unobtrusive, efficient and doesn’t rattle while riding.

It’s only 100 lumen but they did a great job focusing the beam with a light pipe such that it is brighter than a 180 lumen headlamp with a wide light beam. I was pleasantly surprised how bright it is. Maybe not bright enough for unlit roads but plenty for my type of riding.

https://greerride.com/