Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

You Can't touch That

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

You Can't touch That

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 05:16 AM
Colorado Kid

Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
You Can't touch That

The weather has been nice lately so I got out my good road bike. (The light weight one that I use to ride with the club.) The problem comes, my butt gets so sore after riding that for two days, I feel the saddle long after I got off the bike. What should I do? Get a new saddle that has springs on it or tuff it out in the hopes things get better.
Old 03-10-21, 08:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
You should get a Brooks saddle. It's hard as a rock but should be comfortable right out of the box. If it's not, smear it in the provided animal goo and in ten or twenty thousand miles it will "break in"
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-10-21, 09:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,702 Times in 840 Posts
Everybody's butt is different. And while for most people here a padded seat is uncomfortable in the long run, I found a padded gel seat cover works for me, even on long rides. My heavy old MTB-based commuter (now with drop bars!" has always had a narrowish seat with springs, and now has a padded seat with springs....just something inexpensive from Wal-Mart.

I will mention that at 59 I am discovering that my posterior has less natural padding than it used to both on the bikes and just sitting.
Old 03-10-21, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,010 Times in 1,257 Posts
After a long time off the bike, you're going to feel it. Just for fun, you could put a new Brooks on and ride it until it's broken in (usually takes me about 500 miles). After riding the bike 500 miles, you could probably swap the current saddle back on, and it'll feel amazingly good -- maybe almost as good as the Brooks!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-10-21, 04:34 PM
Colorado Kid

What about a "aged" seats? Are they any good? I know Brooks makes several nice models. Has anyone tried any of those saddles?
Old 03-10-21, 10:31 PM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Lots of questions....

Do you have the same experience when riding on club rides with that bike?
What saddle are you using?
Have you been fit for a saddle?
Do you wear cycling shorts on your commute?
How's your position when commuting vs on club rides?
Have you adjusted the position of your saddle up, down, fore, and aft? How about the angle/ tilt of the saddle?
Are you using different shoes when commuting vs. your club rides that could affect your leg length and saddle position by proxy?

I'd recommend stopping at a reputable bike shop that can measure your sit bones and guide you to an appropriate saddle. I've found the Bontrager Aeolus and Montrose saddles to be quite comfortable. Everyone's sit bones are different, so ymmv.
Old 03-11-21, 05:51 AM
Colorado Kid

Thanks

To answer your questions, the club has not started back up for the season. The seat that is on it is a no name brand of seat that came with the bike. Last year, the seat hurt but nothing like this .I guess my sit bones have soften over the winter .My short commute has done nothing to tuff me up for the longer rides. ( I commute about 7 miles each way.)
Old 03-11-21, 10:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Liked 1,596 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
What about a "aged" seats? Are they any good? I know Brooks makes several nice models. Has anyone tried any of those saddles?
I have one. It's still hard, just not quite as hard. Shockingly comfortable out of the box. And if it doesn't work out, it'll have great resale value.
Old 03-13-21, 09:54 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Before getting a new saddle you may want to raise or lower your saddles just a bit. If you have not been riding for a while you may not have the same strength or flexibility you will gain by riding.