Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Wash DC to NYC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Amtrak Wash DC to NYC

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 03:04 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 305 Posts
Amtrak Wash DC to NYC

Thinking of doing the Gap/C&O this year. Has anyone taken Amtrak from DC to NYC with a bicycle?
Any reccos on a hostel in DC also appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-21, 03:21 PM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Avoid Duo Housing/Duo Nomad hostels in DC like the plague.

There is no off street bike storage available, despite what they claim on their websites.

Owner forced me to lock my bike in front of the hostel on the street overnight. i told him the slender chain lock i had was for locking outside grocery stores in small towns while i shopped, not for overnight in a big city. I told him my bike would be gone in the morning; he said with their video cameras it would be OK. I should have left and gone elsewhere, but i was exhausted from riding the C & O.

Bike was of course gone in the morning, with cut lock lying on the sidewalk. Owner didn't even have the decency to apologize. Cops could not understand why he made me lock on street.

Last edited by ignant666; 04-20-21 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Wanted to add pic of cut lock but can't find it
Old 04-20-21, 03:56 PM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Also realized i can answer your main question: I have taken Amtrak with bike from NYC to DC. It was easy, zero hassle. When i did it last September, you just had to be 45 minutes early to load bike on baggage car.

But i think they may have added cars with bike racks on that line since January 1 of this year, so then you just board normally. Either way you have to pay $20.

There are also bike boxes available to buy at both DC and NYC ends, and you can box your bike and send it as checked baggage.
Old 04-20-21, 04:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18551 Post(s)
Liked 15,927 Times in 7,482 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Thinking of doing the Gap/C&O this year. Has anyone taken Amtrak from DC to NYC with a bicycle?
Any reccos on a hostel in DC also appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bike service along the North East Corridor is relatively limited compared to the number of trains. Try to get a spot on the Vermonter service. It’s roll-on. I’ve taken it twice north from Philly. Very easy. You hang your bike in a cubby. Depending on its size, you may have to remove the front wheel, but there is plenty of space to do that. Also, you should remove your panniers before boarding because the car’s vestibule area is tight. I tossed mine in a sleeping bag storage sack.

My bike hanging in 2018:

Old 04-20-21, 05:33 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 305 Posts
Thank you.
I haven't found the Amtrak website very helpful.
Old 04-20-21, 05:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18551 Post(s)
Liked 15,927 Times in 7,482 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Thank you.
I haven't found the Amtrak website very helpful.
The rest you make up as you go:

https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

Note that the two times I took the Vermonter there were only three bike spots. Reserve early.

Also, now that the Pennsylvanian accepts bikes (trainside checked), it’s possible to go from NYC to PGH, do the GAP & C&O, and then train back to NYC. Did Philly to PGH to start a cross-state trip last September. No problem on the Pennsylvanian. Arrived about 15 minutes late. There are two hotels only a couple of blocks from the station. Stayed in one and started the GAP the next morning. Point State Park is a short ride with bike lanes from the hotels.