Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Where to buy 26x2.00 Tubeless Tires?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 09:09 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Hey guys -

So I have a couple of vintage MTBs that I enjoy riding tubeless - I was running my Bridgestone MB-3 with 26x1.95 vintage Hutchinson tires, but I recently got a sidewall tear that doesn't want to seal up. I'm having a hard time finding 26x2.00 or smaller tubeless tires. The Continental CrossKings in 26x2.2 are the smallest I've found, but the rear triangle is already pretty much maxed out with the current tires.

Anyone know where to buy some tires that would work? I know Vee Tires have some in that size, but I can't see to find any retailers at all. Panaracer makes 2.1s, but those are probably still too big for this frame.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-21, 09:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked 1,224 Times in 792 Posts
Since 26 is no longer a thing companies aren't going to invest a lot of time and money in making tubeless tires for the sizes you want. Your options are going to be limited or non existent. The money for tubeless tires resides in 27.5 and 29 right now.
Old 04-23-21, 10:11 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
Panaracer’s run a bit small. I’m running Fire XC Pros on the rear and those might be your best bet.

John

Have no idea what Hutchinson you have but...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23173329908...YAAOSwsHhfoRzG

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-23-21 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-23-21, 10:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 973 Posts
Panaracer Gravelkings tend to run a touch narrow in my experience. The 2.1's will probably fit anywhere a 2.0 was happy. Even if the casing was wider (I don't think it is,) Factor in the low pile of the knobs & you'll see why. In fact removing the knobs from the shoulder give me more frame clearance with the Gravelkings than with either the Specialized Crossroads or Hardrock'rs that were on the bike previously.

I was concerned as you were about fitment, but it was worth taking the chance. I don't do a great deal of slimy mud though.

You might try these: The fastest 26 inch tires ever in the history of the world. Ever. Seriously.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-23-21, 11:43 AM
rogerm3d

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Panaracer’s run a bit small. I’m running Fire XC Pros on the rear and those might be your best bet.
I also run the FireXC Pros on the back of my mountain bike (GT idrive first gen) when I upgraded to tubeless (as they were the skinniest I could find at the time), they fit with a little room to spare. I had previously ran them on the front (in a time when 2.1 was a front tire size).
Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 04-23-21, 12:15 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John

Have no idea what Hutchinson you have but...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231733299087?hash=item35f461878f:gRYAAOSwsHhfoRzG
Nice! I'll have to check those out - I did just find Continental RaceKings in 2.0 - so hopefully those work. Otherwise, I'll give the Panaracers a shot. My current tire is 26x1.95 but its on the more aggressive side knobs wise so hopefully the less aggressive RaceKing will fit.

Not super stoked about $30 shipping from China lol
Old 04-23-21, 12:17 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by base2
Panaracer Gravelkings tend to run a touch narrow in my experience. The 2.1's will probably fit anywhere a 2.0 was happy. Even if the casing was wider (I don't think it is,) Factor in the low pile of the knobs & you'll see why. In fact removing the knobs from the shoulder give me more frame clearance with the Gravelkings than with either the Specialized Crossroads or Hardrock'rs that were on the bike previously.

I was concerned as you were about fitment, but it was worth taking the chance. I don't do a great deal of slimy mud though.

You might try these: The fastest 26 inch tires ever in the history of the world. Ever. Seriously.
I saw those Rene's - so beautiful, pretty penny though. Have you used them before? They seem a little slick for the riding I like to do.

Yeah the Gravelkings might be worth a shot - they are pretty low profile compared to my current tires.
Old 04-23-21, 12:18 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by rogerm3d
I also run the FireXC Pros on the back of my mountain bike (GT idrive first gen) when I upgraded to tubeless (as they were the skinniest I could find at the time), they fit with a little room to spare. I had previously ran them on the front (in a time when 2.1 was a front tire size).
Awesome, thanks for the input! I'll give those a shot in the future - hopefully I can find one that works. This Bridgestone seems to be the worst with regards to rear tire clearance - my Trek Mountain Track can easily clear a 2.2 and its from about the same time period.
Old 04-23-21, 05:48 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
I saw those Rene's - so beautiful, pretty penny though. Have you used them before? They seem a little slick for the riding I like to do.

Yeah the Gravelkings might be worth a shot - they are pretty low profile compared to my current tires.
I own a set. Ideally they are best for gravel/fire/forest service roads but any reasonably dry compact broken surface/rough road urban or rural is well enough. They roll fast. Like you would expect of a road bike tire.The über light weight is noticable.

I suppose, like any tire, it comes down to where & how you intend to use them. Most gravel riding rides & gravel bikes sold nowadays would've been considered "mountain biking" back in the '80's & early '90's...That is to say if you intend a great deal of loose dirt single track, mud boggin' & jumps, like mountain biking actually is practiced in 2021 there are knobbier tires better suited to that use.

I have Gravelking SK's on my cross-country hardtail, René Herse on my long-wheel-base off-road touring bike. IMO Gravelkings split the difference reasonably well & short of mud, I would have no problem choosing them in an instant if cost were even the slightest concern.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-23-21, 06:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Maxxis makes an Ikon in 26 but it's listed at 2.2
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-24-21, 10:49 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Continental Race King Shieldwall System is the tire..good find. Some reviews of those (made in Asia) are not good. The wire bead comes in 2.0 but is not tubeless ready.

Last edited by BikeLite; 04-24-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-24-21, 02:57 PM
speedyspaghetti

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Continental Race King Shieldwall System is the tire..good find. Some reviews of those (made in Asia) are not good. The wire bead comes in 2.0 but is not tubeless ready.
Ah ****... guess I'll have to cancel my order. So I try the Gravelkings then? Or the Fire XC?
Old 04-25-21, 05:03 PM
eddiemac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote from base2 "I own a set. Ideally they are best for gravel/fire/forest service roads but any reasonably dry compact broken surface/rough road urban or rural is well enough. They roll fast. Like you would expect of a road bike tire.The über light weight is noticable."

Do you use the standard casing or the extralight? I was also looking at Rene Herse tires and wasn't sure if the extralight would hold up to the gravel/service road use you mentioned above....Thanks

Last edited by eddiemac; 04-25-21 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 10:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by eddiemac
Quote from base2 "I own a set. Ideally they are best for gravel/fire/forest service roads but any reasonably dry compact broken surface/rough road urban or rural is well enough. They roll fast. Like you would expect of a road bike tire.The über light weight is noticable."

Do you use the standard casing or the extralight? I was also looking at Rene Herse tires and wasn't sure if the extralight would hold up to the gravel/service road use you mentioned above....Thanks
Sorry for the delay. The quote function had an issue & I never got notified.
I have the extra light casing. I don't know that it really makes a tangible difference in ride quality. It should, but I don't know. The next go-round, maybe I'll try the standard casing for comparison.

I think the biggest thing is proper inflation pressure. With higher pressure the threads in the casing are pulled tight which makes them easier for a sharp rock or a bit of glass to cut. Less tight threads won't cut so easily as the tire will tend to deform around a bit of debris. Imagine pushing a knife in to a mop head or a bag of cotton balls versus pushing in to a sail or upholstry. The tight fabric will cut, the loose won't.

Thus far I think I've been lucky & have no issues to report with the extralight casings other than a poke with staple that I brought upon myself rolling over a debris pile at an intersection of 2 major arterials. Running tubeless would've rendered the staple a non-issue.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-28-21, 07:53 PM
eddiemac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the explanation on the extralight tires, I'm working up to trying them out.

Last edited by eddiemac; 04-29-21 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-30-21, 11:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
Not that you would change rims, but rim width does play a part in tire width.

Running the same tire on 14mm, 17mm, 22mm the internal widths impact the width of the inflated tire.

John