Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

WTH is this?!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

WTH is this?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 04:06 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its a 20$ brooks sadle with a free bike attached
Old 04-30-21, 07:56 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Liked 1,351 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by tolfan
its a 20$ brooks sadle with a free bike attached
Unless the frame is worth $20 it's more like a $0.20 Brooks..... The leather is beyond roached.
Old 04-30-21, 08:05 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,864 Times in 657 Posts
At $20 you did great could also be late 60's Carlton Catilina doesn't matter much it's a lesser mid level late 60's Raliegh Carlton bike with the repaint the exact model no good way too tell what it was sold as model wise. Still great basic vintage road bike at a very good price.
Old 04-30-21, 08:13 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Liked 698 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
At $20 you did great could also be late 60's Carlton Catilina doesn't matter much it's a lesser mid level late 60's Raliegh Carlton bike with the repaint the exact model no good way too tell what it was sold as model wise. Still great basic vintage road bike at a very good price.
Three rivet holes in the head tube indicate a Raleigh heron headbadge was once in place. A Catalina would’ve had a Carlton headbadge with two side by side holes. It’s all semantics though as a Carlton Catalina from this era and a Raleigh Carlton are pretty much the same bike.
Old 05-01-21, 07:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,532 Posts
We all expect pictures of the rebuild and ride reports.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-01-21, 09:13 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by noglider
We all expect pictures of the rebuild and ride reports.
Be careful what you ask for LOL.
Old 05-01-21, 07:35 PM
steelbikeguy

Liked 3,498 Times in 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Especially when they're just up the road a bit.
I think you just need to come out for the vintage ride in the fall. Should be an opportunity to swap bikes for a few miles.
I should note that I ride clips & straps (with slotted cleats) on my Raleighs, so you'd need to be able to handle that.

At John Haboush's ride in 2019, I did a quick swap with Dan M. He was riding his Raleigh Pro and I was on my Hetchins. His Pro was a tad big for me, but it was still interesting to ride it. Not sure that I detected anything that distinguished it from my International, though...
The Pro was certainly in nice shape...

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-02-21, 10:41 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I think you just need to come out for the vintage ride in the fall. Should be an opportunity to swap bikes for a few miles.
I should note that I ride clips & straps (with slotted cleats) on my Raleighs, so you'd need to be able to handle that.

At John Haboush's ride in 2019, I did a quick swap with Dan M. He was riding his Raleigh Pro and I was on my Hetchins. His Pro was a tad big for me, but it was still interesting to ride it. Not sure that I detected anything that distinguished it from my International, though...
The Pro was certainly in nice shape...

Steve in Peoria
I'd like that and have wanted to come on the ride for quite some time now but something always comes up and this year at the rate things are going on my shop overhaul it won't be done this Fall. The bike that is, the shop BETTER be done by Fall so I can get this bike and a coupe others done over the Winter!

I prefer toe clips but I can't find any big enough for my size 13's, somehow about 10 years ago my feet suddenly went form Size 11 to 12-1/2 to 13 depending on the shoes rendering all my toe clips and cycling shoes useless seemingly over a period of just a few months. I went all SPD for awhile but my knees have gotten worse the past couple years so I've even given up on clipless pedals for the time being, rotating to clip in and out became a problem and my left knee is the worse of the 2 by quite a bit. The only real relief I get is when I'm on a bike riding. The only foot retention that is working for me right now is Power Grips and I will NOT put those on a road bike so I've been riding straight platforms. I'm actually getting along quite well but then I'm a "doddle along and take in the scenery" rider so it works. To be honest though I'm not even doing much of that lately and then it's just been short cruises on my old Takara MTB with slicks. Some of the bikes I have are kind of wasted on me but I enjoy them, maybe when I'm ready to pass them along some youngster will get them and ride them the way they were meant t be ridden and they'll put a smile on his face like they do mine.

Now that I mention it... I think I'll roll the old Takara out and take a quick spin before I go back to the shop.
Old 05-02-21, 10:45 AM
Murray Missile 

I'm going to start a build thread for this bike, it may drag out over a few months as I have a lot going on but this has become top priority of my keeper builds....... stay tuned.
Old 05-02-21, 11:01 AM
steelbikeguy

Liked 3,498 Times in 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I'd like that and have wanted to come on the ride for quite some time now but something always comes up and this year at the rate things are going on my shop overhaul it won't be done this Fall. The bike that is, the shop BETTER be done by Fall so I can get this bike and a coupe others done over the Winter!

I prefer toe clips but I can't find any big enough for my size 13's, somehow about 10 years ago my feet suddenly went form Size 11 to 12-1/2 to 13 depending on the shoes rendering all my toe clips and cycling shoes useless seemingly over a period of just a few months. I went all SPD for awhile but my knees have gotten worse the past couple years so I've even given up on clipless pedals for the time being, rotating to clip in and out became a problem and my left knee is the worse of the 2 by quite a bit. The only real relief I get is when I'm on a bike riding. The only foot retention that is working for me right now is Power Grips and I will NOT put those on a road bike so I've been riding straight platforms. ........
I've heard of people's feet getting bigger after they hit some age, but haven't experienced that myself... yet. I'm hoping it will pass me by, as I'm rather fond of my old bike shoes.
I've dealt with some aspects of needing bigger clips, usually for winter booties, by adding longer bolts and spacers to move the toe clip forward by 5 or 10mm. Not the prettiest solution, but functional.
There's also the matter of finding different size toe clips.
The Christophe Specials are generally good enough for my size 46 shoes, and they extend about 62mm forward of the pedal.
I've found some ALE extra large clips that extend about 77mm forward of the pedal, which is a nicer solution.
pics....

on the other hand, I've got some Minoura LL size alloy toe clips that only extend 52mm forward of the pedal. I can only assume that LL stands for "less than large".

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-02-21, 11:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,694 Times in 2,171 Posts
I like the MKS deep toe clip as they work with MTB style shoes or with street shoes. They’re designed around the thicker shoes that have become the norm for outdoor gear.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-02-21, 11:30 AM
Murray Missile 

The Christophe Specials are generally good enough for my size 46 shoes, and they extend about 62mm forward of the pedal.
I've found some ALE extra large clips that extend about 77mm forward of the pedal, which is a nicer solution.

on the other hand, I've got some Minoura LL size alloy toe clips that only extend 52mm forward of the pedal. I can only assume that LL stands for "less than large".

Steve in Peoria
I've had no luck with the Christophe Specials, I'll seek out a pair of ALE's and give them a try. Vintage road bikes should have toe clips. "Less than Large", yeah, the Minouras are that......
Old 05-21-21, 06:56 PM
Murray Missile 

I've heard of people's feet getting bigger after they hit some age, but haven't experienced that myself... yet. I'm hoping it will pass me by, as I'm rather fond of my old bike shoes.
I've dealt with some aspects of needing bigger clips, usually for winter booties, by adding longer bolts and spacers to move the toe clip forward by 5 or 10mm. Not the prettiest solution, but functional.
There's also the matter of finding different size toe clips.
pics....

Steve in Peoria
Got a set off Ebay and they will work...... FINALLY! Thanks for the tip.