Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle aero wheelset assistance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 07:20 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts

So I’m looking at the following wheelsets for my 2019 Trek Emonda SL5 rim brake bike to upgrade the Bontrager Affinity TLR alloy rims that came stock.

I’m a little overwhelmed with all the different internal and external dimensions available, so I’m seeking advice on what’s optimal for my setup. I’ll be using the 28c GP5000 tires I currently have on the bike.

I’ve been told that the 30mm wide (external) wheels will not fit my bike, so there are 3 main wheels I’m considering:

1. 21/28mm (inner/outer), 46mm deep:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-46mm-depth-hand-built-carbon-road-wheels---28mm-wide-and-tubeless-compatible.html

2. 18/25mm (inner/outer), 55mm deep:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/55mm-de...g-surface.html

3. 45mm deep version of #2:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/45mm-de...g-surface.html

I would like the wider rim for aero reasons, but am concerned it might blow the 28c tires up too much for my frame.

Here is a pic of the clearance currently on 21mm ID:

Do y’all think I’d be ok with the 21/28mm rim? I’m just dreading ordering some $1200 wheels and having it not fit.

Any other suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks!
Old 07-05-21, 10:42 PM
soonerrebel

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
The GP5000 28's will be slightly over 29mm on the LB AR46. What is the width of your CURRENT setup in the picture?
Old 07-05-21, 10:44 PM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by soonerrebel
The GP5000 28's will be slightly over 29mm on the LB AR46. What is the width of your CURRENT setup in the picture?
Micrometer says the tire is 28.4… should be ok at just over 29mm right?
Old 07-06-21, 06:47 AM
soonerrebel

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
TREK is fairly conservative on the tire clearance so if your current setup is the stock setup I think you will be fine. You are just adding a half millimeter to each side. One other thing you need to consider are the brake calipers .. can they handle the additional width.
Old 07-06-21, 05:55 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Liked 710 Times in 348 Posts
I'd say you'd be fine, but clearance will be pretty tight. If you're looking at aero gains though, go the deeper rims.
Old 07-06-21, 06:46 PM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by soonerrebel
TREK is fairly conservative on the tire clearance so if your current setup is the stock setup I think you will be fine. You are just adding a half millimeter to each side. One other thing you need to consider are the brake calipers .. can they handle the additional width.
According to Shimano, the 105 calipers can handle 28mm rim (its the max).

The stock tires were 25mm so the 28mm tires are already slightly larger. It looks too me like there is still a lot of room, though.
Likes For Hikebikerun:
Old 07-06-21, 06:51 PM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I'd say you'd be fine, but clearance will be pretty tight. If you're looking at aero gains though, go the deeper rims.
I’m looking for a good all-around rim; I do want them to be more aero (and honestly the 40+mm deep carbon wheels just look cool), but I don’t want to get blown all over the place either so I’m leaning toward the 46mm size for a compromise.

Im just dreading ordering these and spending $1200 only to find in 2 months after they arrive that they don’t fit.
Old 07-06-21, 08:45 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,373 Times in 2,096 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Except for a TT setup or maybe a race when you don't expect cross winds to be factor, I think 55 mm deep is plenty for aero.

The guys at the Tour don't rock super-deep rims except on their TT bikes.
Old 07-12-21, 06:42 PM
Hikebikerun

Well, I pulled the trigger on the carbon AR46 wheelset:

DT Swiss 240 EXP 36t hubs
46mm deep; 21/28mm internal/external width
Sapim X-ray spokes
brass nipples
Grooved graphene brake track

They threw in a free set of brake pads as well.

Will update in a couple months when I receive them.
Likes For Hikebikerun: