Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Pricing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized Pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 01:37 PM
Technium92

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13 105 Disc; Raleigh Technium Comp 531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Specialized Pricing?

Just looked online (Specialized website) at the Roubaix Expert (Ultegra Di2, 2021, $5000 USD) and the Roubaix Comp (SRAM Rival eTap AXS, 2022, $5000 USD). I know there are supply and pricing issues related to the pandemic and that these bikes are of a different manufacturing year, but am I missing something? Comp model at Expert price? If Rival is more so a competitor at the 105 level, why is this (seemingly) priced up to ultegra Di2 cost? Curiously when I clicked the compare feature on the sites for each bike, the components for the 2021 would not populate along side the 2022. A quick cross reference seems to show they’re identical otherwise. Just throwing this out there as I was definitely interested in the new SRAM drivetrain but sad to see it’s priced at least with Specialized at the same cost as a Di2 ultegra.

Last edited by Technium92; 08-18-21 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6330 Post(s)
Liked 4,919 Times in 3,388 Posts
I wouldn't try rationalizing the prices with each other tier level of the same model bike. You'll just drive yourself mad.

They'll have cost considerations for their pricing that won't easily make sense. It's many other things besides supply and demand and they have to work with supply and demand on both sides of the bike making process. Both them getting pieces parts and how long it takes to convince you or others to buy that bike.

Just pick what you want in bike components, the type bike you want and find the best price or manufacturer reputation that pleases you. Don't worry why one is more or less than the other.
Old 08-16-21, 02:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 438 Posts
There is no 105-level electronic shifting. Rival is kind of between 105 and Ultegra from what I've read. Pricing doesn't seem that outrageous considering the price increases across the entire bike industry plus etap being wireless over Di2.
Old 08-16-21, 02:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 5,720 Times in 2,888 Posts
Specialized may have had to use SRAM due to Shimano supply issues. IIRC SRAM has always been priced above the Shimano comparable. Historically SRAM (and fanboys) have tried to tout Rival as nicer than 105, even approaching Ultegra. That never got much traction but the pricing difference may remain.
Old 08-16-21, 06:16 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 559 Posts
My 2019 Roubaix comp came with Ultegra Di2. After seeing the prices you posted, I'm glad I got it when I did.

Will be interesting to see if prices fall if the pandemic ever ends and the global supply chains get sorted out.
Old 08-17-21, 01:40 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
I can understand comparing mechanical Rival to Shimano 105, but Rival AXS is clearly on a different level. 12 speed wireless electronic shifting vs 11sp mechanical is a significant upgrade. It's not realistic to expect a Rival AXS bike to be priced on the same level as a 105 bike.

I'd expect Rival AXS bikes to be priced around the same or slightly above a mechanical Ultegra version, but lower than the Ultegra Di2 version. In this case, Specialized has the mechanical Ultegra Roubaix at $4200, so maybe $4500 for Rival AXS? I guess the $500 difference can be chalked up to supply and demand.

If it were my money, I'd definitely be going with that $4200 mechanical Ultegra bike, assuming you can actually find one to buy.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-18-21, 03:05 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Technium92
Just looked online (Specialized website) at the Roubaix Expert (Ultegra Di2, 2021, $5000 USD) and the Roubaix Comp (SRAM Rival eTap AXS, 2022, $5000 USD). I know there are supply and pricing issues related to the pandemic and that these bikes are of a different manufacturing year, but am I missing something? Comp model at Expert price? If Rival is more so a competitor at the 105 level, why is this (seemingly) priced up to ultegra Di2 cost? Curiously when I clicked the compare feature on the sites for each bike, the components for the 2021 would not populate along side the 2022. A quick cross reference seems to show they’re identical otherwise. Just throwing this out there as I was definitely interested in the new SRAM drivetrain but sad to see it’s priced at least with Specialized at the same cost as a Di2 ultegra.
Look at every Specialized bike, find one where there is an equivalent level model with eTAP or Di2. Then check a few other brands, BMC comes to mind. All things equal an eTap equipped bike seem to be priced $500-1000 depending on the level of the eTap (Rival, Force, Red). (Full transparency, I'm trying to do a rough comparison to Euro pricing, since that's my current frame of reference.)
Old 08-18-21, 05:28 AM
Technium92

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13 105 Disc; Raleigh Technium Comp 531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I can understand comparing mechanical Rival to Shimano 105, but Rival AXS is clearly on a different level. 12 speed wireless electronic shifting vs 11sp mechanical is a significant upgrade. It's not realistic to expect a Rival AXS bike to be priced on the same level as a 105 bike.

I'd expect Rival AXS bikes to be priced around the same or slightly above a mechanical Ultegra version, but lower than the Ultegra Di2 version. In this case, Specialized has the mechanical Ultegra Roubaix at $4200, so maybe $4500 for Rival AXS? I guess the $500 difference can be chalked up to supply and demand.

If it were my money, I'd definitely be going with that $4200 mechanical Ultegra bike, assuming you can actually find one to buy.
Thanks for the insight. I definitely (wrongly) assumed that eTap and Di2 were priced about the same across their groupset hierarchies. ‘Assuming we can actually find bikes’ right now is so true. I guess more
time to save and to wonder about the possibilities.