Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What fenders will fit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What fenders will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 08:47 AM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What fenders will fit?

Hi All

I've got a 1986 Bridgestone 450 https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...stone-450.html. that I've converted to a 650b. We're heading into the rainy season here so I'll need to put some fenders on the bike. I've got 38mm 650b tires on the bike. I'm wondering if the 53mm SKS commuter fenders will be too wide for the frame? What is the max fender width that would fit? Thanks!
Old 09-06-21, 09:05 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1969 Raleigh Superbe: 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold), 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Liked 1,019 Times in 697 Posts
Measure your frame's pinch points.
Measure the distance between the fork blades near the fork crown on the inside.
Measure the distance between the seatstays at the rear brake bridge.
If either of those measurements are less than 53mm, your plan won't work. SKS thankfully makes fenders in widths as narrow as 38 mm to accomodate bikes built for skinny tires.
Old 09-06-21, 09:58 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,753 Times in 1,716 Posts
You can trim fenders around brake bridges and such. With 650b your tires are at least 38mm so your fenders need to be wider than that. Having done many conversions I find 700c longboards work pretty well. 42 mm is as small as I would go for 38 mm tires. Wider would be better if you can make them fit.