Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cotter pin help (1930's Raleigh delivery bike)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 12:56 PM
MUDCOWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello everyone,
I am searching for a cotter pin which is around 10.3mm in diameter and 47.5mm long. It came off a 1930's Raleigh delivery bike, most likely a Low gravity Model 47 as pictured below. I have searched the net and have found nothing and I'm considering getting in touch with a fabricator to make me a small batch of them. Before I go down that route, does anyone know of anyone who might have some of these available to sell? Otherwise I guess I could look into replacing the cranks and bb axle for a more standard size, but I would prefer to try and keep things as original as possible. Cheers.

Old 09-30-21, 04:44 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Sometimes it's best to just buy an oversized pin and file it down yourself.
Likes For oldroads:
Old 09-30-21, 09:09 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by oldroads
Sometimes it's best to just buy an oversized pin and file it down yourself.
...yes, this is what I would do in similar circumstances. with a couple of files, and maybe a bench grinder , you should be good to go. The time and money you spend looking to have one custom fabricated will make you sad. Not certain why length is an issue for you ? The dimensions that are critical on a cotter are the diameter, and the cut on the flat face. If it sticks out a little farther than the old one, no one will care.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-30-21, 11:41 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Take it for granted that any new replacement cotter will have to be filed to fit. That was standard procedure when I worked in the bike shop fifty years ago.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)