Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Speedplay Pedal Adjustment

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 09:42 AM
TSawyerLV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So my bike fitter has ghosted me - he isn’t responding to emails - and I am running out of patience. Can someone give me any pointers on any adjustments I need when changing over from SPD-SL to Wahoo. I am going to make the change on my road bike and on my Peloton bike.
  • My road shoes are Torch 3; I currently use the Peloton shoes, but will buy new shoes because I don’t like them
  • Does the stack height between the two pedal systems have enough difference to make a material difference? Which one is higher?
  • What is the best method to get close to the same cleat position with the Speedplay pedals as I have with the SPD-SL pedals? My cleats are yellow with 6 degrees of float.
Although I have no plans to use the same shoes on the road and Peloton, I want to make this change at the same time for two separate reasons: 1) clipping in on both sides on the road and 2) I almost feel like I am going to injure myself every time I click out of the Delta cleats on the Peloton (hate those things) because they are so stiff. I don’t plan on doing a lot of walking in my road shoes so although that is a benefit with Speedplay it isn’t a huge concern for me.

Thanks for reading and responding. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. This change will cost hundreds so want to know everything there is to know about Speedplay in advance.
Old 10-07-21, 10:44 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
SP has a low stack. After being on X's like forever I made the switch to Nano's. They use rectangular spring and are much harder to clip in and out and have a limited range to do so. I'm having to relearn my technique. Do not over tighten the screws.
Old 10-07-21, 11:00 AM
TSawyerLV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by popeye
SP has a low stack. After being on X's like forever I made the switch to Nano's. They use rectangular spring and are much harder to clip in and out and have a limited range to do so. I'm having to relearn my technique. Do not over tighten the screws.
I will probably get the Comps.
Old 10-07-21, 11:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by TSawyerLV

Thanks for reading and responding. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. This change will cost hundreds so want to know everything there is to know about Speedplay in advance.
Just get a tape measure? e.g. Mount shoes on your pedals with your old cleats/pedals and measure distance from center of crank/bb to the sole of your shoe.
Also Measure distance from crankarm to end of shoe (toe). Write this down.

when you have the new pedals/cleats, do the same measurements. For the first measurement, subtract from your old setup, this should the amount to lower your saddle.
Old 10-08-21, 10:40 AM
TSawyerLV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I got the pedals for my road bike and Peloton. I just went up and down the street a few times, but rode the Peloton for five minutes last night and 30 minutes this morning. The thing I notice immediately is that the float is loose. The float with SPD-SL pedals is easy to feel, but it doesn’t feel loose. I can feel the float on every pedal stroke with the SpeedPlay pedals. I may need to adjust/reduce the float. So far, I am happy with the move.
Old 10-08-21, 05:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,195 Times in 2,030 Posts
i've found adjusting the rearward facing screw to near zero & half gap for the forward screw to work best for me. Easy to release & stable enough for riding.
Old 10-08-21, 05:57 PM
TSawyerLV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
i've found adjusting the rearward facing screw to near zero & half gap for the forward screw to work best for me. Easy to release & stable enough for riding.
What do you mean by half gap for the forward screw?
Old 10-09-21, 03:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,195 Times in 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by TSawyerLV
What do you mean by half gap for the forward screw?
Partially screw it in half the distance.
Old 10-11-21, 06:21 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,704 Times in 803 Posts
Just so happens that I have two bikes, both with Ultegra cranksets. One bike has Shimano SPD-SL pedals, one has Wahoo Speedplays. I have two pairs of shoes, same model, different colors. I clipped them in and took pics.
Both bikes were originally set up with the SPD-SL pedals. Looking at the top of the crankarm to the bottom of the show sole, I lowered my seat post about 2mm with the Speedplays.
I prefer the Speedplays. For me, they are easier to clip in / unclip. The Shimanos are on my bike dedicated to Zwift now, so no big deal.