Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another LeChampion pickup

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another LeChampion pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 02:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is such a neat bike. Are you thinking about a swap? What size bike do you ride?
Old 10-21-21, 07:34 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is such a neat bike. Are you thinking about a swap? What size bike do you ride?
I will probably build this back up in a fashion closer to original, but I would consider a swap for this one.
Frames that fit me best are 53-54 cm. I’d love to find one of these 1972 LeChampions that was a size smaller than this one
Old 10-21-21, 10:43 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
OP's bike has a beautiful frame. Somehow I find myself owning two of these. Both my size. Both need work. I feel blessed and cursed all at once.
Old 10-22-21, 02:07 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Old French Reynolds 531 Decals

Originally Posted by repechage
Close but not close enough, I might try Gus Salmon.
au contraire...

In the early 70's the 531 characters on many French language Reynolds 531 decals were a pale gray green color. Back then I thought that they were faded but I started seeing those decals on new out of the box bikes.

Peugeot

Lejeune

Motobecane

Don't remember???

Back in the 1970's Reynolds FIERCELY defended their trade mark 531 decals. There were several folks who made these bogus "GUARANTEED NOT BUILT WITH" decals. They were quickly slapped with Cease And Desist orders from Reynolds lawyers.

Jump ahead to the 2000's when a lot of "repop" Reynolds stickers became available in the US. Many of them were bad copies of bad copies. Apparently it was hard to get an accurate green 531 color on the stickers made with inkjet or laser printers back then. In many cases the 531 characters were very dark.

About 1976 I was in contact with Reynolds concerning replacement decals. So many of the new bikes were coming in with damaged Reynolds 531 decals. The letters that I received back from Reynolds were very rude but eventually I got some information from them - straight from the horse's mouth - they used up to 7 sources at the time for their decals. That's one reason there was so many variances is colours and details.

According to my contacts the only way to get a replacement Reynolds decal in the US was from an authorized repsprayer on a frame that was being repainted. Albert Eisentraut was one of few approved resprayers.

The respray stickers looked like this - These are French stickers.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 10-22-21 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-22-21, 10:09 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Some concern with the color, some with the art. Some, that the original were a decal or transfer of various types as you stated, Stickers are just that, stickers.

Then that LeJeune, they are fibbing of that. All my Lejeunes have seamed head tubes and Nervor steerers. Good chance some of the other tubes or stays are different.
Old 10-27-21, 06:53 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Ok; we are getting a little closer here. Wheelset changed out to a set of low flange Maillard hubs with aluminum rims. Cinelli stem and Strong seatpost replace the more modern components that came with the bike. Most of these bits were lifted from a Motobecane Grand Record that is becoming a donor. New brake hoods are on their way from Italy to replace the originals which are pretty much done.

I’m measuring the frame again and comparing the Le Champion to the similarly sized Grand Record. The Le Champion seat tube measures 22-1/2” center to top; the Grand Record measures 23” center to top, yet I’m imagining that theses were both considered 23” models?? Was there that much variability in these frame sets back then?

Sorry for the terrible, low light photo

Last edited by orcas island; 10-27-21 at 06:56 PM.