Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Pick - Fuji Saratoga or Touring IV

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 04:46 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Liked 325 Times in 212 Posts

I'm unsure if these bikes were even offered by Fuji at the same time. They seem to be similar. Maybe Fuji offered the Touring series first and then renamed them Saratoga. I saw a Saratoga locally recently and thought it appeared to be a mighty fine looking bike.

In any case, considering they are both touring style bikes what would be your preference and why.
Old 11-06-21, 06:06 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Liked 175 Times in 97 Posts
it would depend on the individual condition and price but the IV is the more classic ride, look at the catalogs
Old 11-06-21, 06:52 PM
polymorphself 

Liked 1,096 Times in 530 Posts
I forget who, but a regular post here has what I believe to be a 1988 Saratoga and it was the first time I had seen one. Really awesome looking tourer. Maybe do a search here to see how he built it up.

The Fuji Touring Series bikes were also awesome and I'm a fan, but unless this Touring Series IV is one of the random later in the year models that happens to have mid fork mounts for low rider racks, that is something to consider if you care about such a thing. The Saratoga has them for the 1988 and 1989 years, at least. The Saratoga, being later in the 80s, may also give you slightly more tire and fender clearance if you care about that (but that's a theory).

Those two things aside, for me, it would come down to aesthetic preference and condition.

Post pics of both if you can. We'd like to see them and it may help with more considerations.

Last edited by polymorphself; 11-06-21 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 08:20 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Liked 325 Times in 212 Posts
Hello, and thank you for the responses. The recent Saratoga sighting was owned, ridden, parked beside my bike ( in background) while I popped into the Safeway. I spoke with the owner briefly about it and he said he'd picked it up on a trip while he was in Minnesota. I took a picture of it. Seems nicely decked out and lugged frame too.

I've never seen a Fuji Touring IV for real. This is a thread where I'd posted about a local one for sale a while back. Never did go see it.

Then, the Saratoga came after the Touring Series?

The Saratoga would be preferred if it meant fatter tire capability.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 11-06-21 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 08:50 PM
polymorphself 

As classic as the TSIV looks, I do love the livery of that year Saratoga, not sure what it is about it as I typically don’t prefer late 80s paint jobs or decals over early-mid 80s, but this one does it for me as a tourer. And you’re correct, the Saratoga came after, starting in 1987 I believe.

By fatter tires, I’m thinking 35mm with fenders at most. But maybe the TSIV can do that as well. Mid-late 80s touring frames seem to vary more greatly than you’d expect as far as clearance and whether the front or back is a tighter spot. In the “show your voyageur thread”, for example, there is discussion about the 1985 Voyageur SP being tighter under the fork crown than the chain stays, while the 86 is the opposite.
Old 11-06-21, 08:54 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,044 Times in 2,694 Posts
You could likely figure out a great deal by looking through the Fuji catalog archive (thanks to [MENTION=55382]ScottRyder[/MENTION]): https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/archive
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-06-21, 11:44 PM
badger_biker

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
it would depend on the individual condition and price but the IV is the more classic ride, look at the catalogs
Just based on the photo of the Saratoga the clearance between the rear tire and seat tube seems tighter than that of most early to mid 80’s touring bikes. Check the wheel base of each of each to make sure but the longer generally means a bit smoother ride.

Cant go wrong with either but I agree the TSIV has a more classic touring look to it.
Old 11-07-21, 02:40 AM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
The Touring Series bikes used 27" wheels. If the Saratoga has 700c wheels, that makes it the obvious choice as there are many, many more tire options for the 700c size.
Old 11-07-21, 11:00 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The Touring Series bikes used 27" wheels. If the Saratoga has 700c wheels, that makes it the obvious choice as there are many, many more tire options for the 700c size.
TSIV could likely be swapped easily though, maybe with a brake swap as well though.
Old 11-07-21, 11:43 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
When I lived near Boston I rode with a bunch of guys who had a good mix of Americas, Touring Series and a Saratoga or two. All of them were very beloved these gentlemen and saw serious mileage. They usually did a serious credit card tour (but usually had one bag with stuff for the day, camera, trunks, socks etc., once a year on those bikes I bet logged close to 1000 mi in that week alone. I know I did two days with them in Me once and we got nearly 230-250, beautiful country though

From my perspective of maintaining them, all were great bikes. But I liked the updated graphics of the Saratoga better.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-07-21, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,742 Times in 4,302 Posts
I owned an '89 touring frame made by fuji that was a Saratoga except for the downtube shifter bosses were different.
That thing was a tank, in a good way. I would take a Saratoga for sure.

- clearance for 38mm tires.
- stiff enough tubing to competently handle 260# of rider and gear.
- 3 bottle mounts.
- geometry that made a front load ride stable and slow.