Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > United Kingdom
Reload this Page >

London to Newhaven worth the ride?

Search
Notices
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 11:50 PM
bkkboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I plan to cycle from Richmond (London) to Paris, following Donald Hirsch's route in France. I have not lived in UK for many years so have not cycled there. Some posts say the route from London to Newhaven is not worth riding, better to skip this part and spend more time in France. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-21, 11:06 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
I plan to cycle from Richmond (London) to Paris, following Donald Hirsch's route in France. I have not lived in UK for many years so have not cycled there. Some posts say the route from London to Newhaven is not worth riding, better to skip this part and spend more time in France. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
We expats visit England each year, Covid allowing, and ride our tandem mainly around Sussex, but the road surface, potholes, etc is atrocious. We have crossed from Newhaven by ferry and ridden to Paris via the Avenue Verte and that is a pleasure. Go directly from Newhaven ins my recommendation.
Old 01-15-22, 03:13 PM
DVD23

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
Thanks in advance.
Depends entirely what you want from your ride if you want a start to finish I'd say go for it 👍 but as said above if you want smooth rides skip alltogether haha 🤣
Old 01-16-22, 05:26 AM
bkkboy

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Skip UK part of London to Paris

Originally Posted by DVD23
Depends entirely what you want from your ride if you want a start to finish I'd say go for it 👍 but as said above if you want smooth rides skip alltogether haha 🤣
Now that I have cycled from Paris to Dieppe, and part of the way from Newhaven to London, my experience is that it is better to catch a train in UK, cycling in France is a lot more enjoyable.