Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.
View Poll Results: Is this Diverge too heavy and slow because of the wheelset Axis 3.0 ?
Yes
44.44%
Neutral
0%
No
44.44%
Dont know
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Diverge Elite5 DSW

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 11:39 PM
gildelrosan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diverge Elite5 DSW

The wheelset of this Diverge DSW, which are Axis 3.0 SCS , they weigh like a ton. Theyre so heavy, i wonder why Specialized designed it this way. The handling is great, but the wheels , theyre just so heavy it makes this bike so slow.
Old 01-30-22, 09:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 5,721 Times in 2,888 Posts
Absolutely! Can you return your bike, get something that suits you better?
Old 01-30-22, 10:51 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gildelrosan
The wheelset of this Diverge DSW, which are Axis 3.0 SCS , they weigh like a ton. Theyre so heavy, i wonder why Specialized designed it this way. The handling is great, but the wheels , theyre just so heavy it makes this bike so slow.
The only thing I could find online for the Axis 3.0 was that it was around 2000g. Looks like the Diverge DSW was an alloy model back in 2017 with MSRP of below $1,500. Any disc equipped cross/gravel bike under $2,000 in 2017 probably would have come with a wheelset in that weight range.

You could change the wheels and it'll give it a "quicker" feeling, but most likely won't change your speed too much over the distance unless you ride a lot of hills. It'll give you better acceleration from a stop and an easier time going up hill on a climb.

You could get some budget alloy wheelset that's in the 1600g range and you'll likely feel some difference. I find that any weight change on my bikes feel pretty minimal after an initial adjustment period. I assume you've changed your tires, but if you haven't, you could change to a lighter tire somewhere in the 400 gram range. That would be a quick way to drop weight from your wheels with the least amount spent.

If you're looking for carbon wheels, I can recommend farsports/wheelsfar from personal experience. I've heard great things about LightBicycle wheels as well, but I have no personal experience. If you're looking for alloy, a set from Hunt will probably be your best bet for price-to-weight ratio.
Old 01-30-22, 10:00 PM
gildelrosan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
The only thing I could find online for the Axis 3.0 was that it was around 2000g. Looks like the Diverge DSW was an alloy model back in 2017 with MSRP of below $1,500. Any disc equipped cross/gravel bike under $2,000 in 2017 probably would have come with a wheelset in that weight range.

You could change the wheels and it'll give it a "quicker" feeling, but most likely won't change your speed too much over the distance unless you ride a lot of hills. It'll give you better acceleration from a stop and an easier time going up hill on a climb.

You could get some budget alloy wheelset that's in the 1600g range and you'll likely feel some difference. I find that any weight change on my bikes feel pretty minimal after an initial adjustment period. I assume you've changed your tires, but if you haven't, you could change to a lighter tire somewhere in the 400 gram range. That would be a quick way to drop weight from your wheels with the least amount spent.

If you're looking for carbon wheels, I can recommend farsports/wheelsfar from personal experience. I've heard great things about LightBicycle wheels as well, but I have no personal experience. If you're looking for alloy, a set from Hunt will probably be your best bet for price-to-weight ratio.

i will go visit my local bs for your recommended set of wheels, Hunts !😀👍

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-17-22 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 08:56 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Hunt wheels are direct to consumer, so your local bike shop won't have them in stock, and likely won't allow you to order through them. Although a good shop would be willing to point you towards the right product even if it's not sold by them.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...33272442978349

These are probably the ones you want. I believe they come with adapter caps to convert the wheels to-and-from quick release and thru axle. Check before ordering as I haven't looked into to the Diverge DSW's dropout/frame specs. I assume it came with QR in the rear and 12mm thru axle in the front.
Old 01-31-22, 08:04 PM
Greg161

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Panasonic SLX, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Although a good shop would be willing to point you towards the right product even if it's not sold by them.
This ^ is so true
Old 02-02-22, 03:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11049 Post(s)
Liked 7,597 Times in 4,237 Posts
A good shop will try to find you an option in their catalog that offers similar spec and cost to a consumer direct brand. That is what any good company that sells something should do. They should keep it open and say 'if you are looking for a wheelset like the Hunt X, then we do have these options available'. I would question why a business wouldnt offer up something similar to what I am looking for if they dont carry what I ask about.

I would say this is especially true for a potential customer who is willing to come ask to buy some wheels they know nothing about and are interested in buying based on one internet comment. Offering the customer alternatives will give the customer options and inform them on what they want to actually buy.
Old 02-02-22, 03:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11049 Post(s)
Liked 7,597 Times in 4,237 Posts
Theyre so heavy, i wonder why Specialized designed it this way.
Wheels have, for as long as I have known, been a place to cut costs.
- the wheel isnt understood by most so there is little value in providing a high cost wheelset in place of more visibly quality components.
- it is difficult to isolate wheel weight as it is part of a system so weight can be 'hidden' which saves money and allows a bike model to meet a price point.
- groupsets are the easy way to judge a bike's quality overall since the branding is visible and groupset tiers are so readily known. that isnt the case with wheels where hub, rim, and spoke specs typically are not listed or understood(see first point).

Heavier cheaper wheels allow a bike to meet a price point. If you dont like that- buy a more expensive bike that has higher quality wheels.
...or just buy more expensive wheels.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-02-22, 04:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

That is so true! ^^^ Sometimes I lose my L and go visit my BS too.

But yeah, specialized does that with non S-works bikes.
Old 02-03-22, 06:20 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Hunt wheels are direct to consumer, so your local bike shop won't have them in stock, and likely won't allow you to order through them. Although a good shop would be willing to point you towards the right product even if it's not sold by them.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...33272442978349

These are probably the ones you want. I believe they come with adapter caps to convert the wheels to-and-from quick release and thru axle. Check before ordering as I haven't looked into to the Diverge DSW's dropout/frame specs. I assume it came with QR in the rear and 12mm thru axle in the front.
There are a few US dealers of Hunt wheels. They look nice, have great marketing and are of average overall quality in that price range. I'd recommend the Shimano GRX wheelset instead as a pretty high-quality wheelset for about $440.

Last edited by dwmckee; 02-03-22 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 02-13-22, 09:14 AM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I had a 2017 Diverge I believe. It had Axis wheels, non SCS model. Pretty much the same wheels. I can tell you that they were super reliable. No issues after riding the bike on gravel every week. I can tell you that I was super fast on that bike back then. Much stronger rider than I am now. Wheels will make a difference, but if you are strong and got some miles under your legs, it will always trump lighter wheels.
Old 02-14-22, 07:04 PM
gildelrosan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
I had a 2017 Diverge I believe. It had Axis wheels, non SCS model. Pretty much the same wheels. I can tell you that they were super reliable. No issues after riding the bike on gravel every week. I can tell you that I was super fast on that bike back then. Much stronger rider than I am now. Wheels will make a difference, but if you are strong and got some miles under your legs, it will always trump lighter wheels.
Thanks, i will try harder to get used to it then. Im a senior 67, pretty much left in the tank 😀