Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable stops clicking when turning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 04:27 PM
veqra21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys - setting up a new bike and am getting this clicking because cable stops jumping out of their slot when doing a 90 deg turn. This is the rear brake cable with cable full outers all the way to the back.

See video below here - imgur.com/a/tVOr3fW

Any tips on fixing this?
Old 02-07-22, 06:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,932 Times in 2,991 Posts
Can't see the video but it sounds as if the housing is too short. FWIW, you won't intentionally be turning the bar/wheel 90 degrees.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-07-22, 07:00 PM
veqra21

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Can't see the video but it sounds as if the housing is too short. FWIW, you won't intentionally be turning the bar/wheel 90 degrees.
I haven't cut housing yet and have tried giving more slack at front but doesn't help. This is compressionless jagwire so doesn't bend easily. Yep understand on non-90 deg turns - thought someone had found some little fix I don't know about.
Likes For veqra21:
Old 02-08-22, 04:05 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv

^^^^^ What he said

Old 02-08-22, 11:32 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by veqra21
I haven't cut housing yet and have tried giving more slack at front but doesn't help. This is compressionless jagwire so doesn't bend easily. Yep understand on non-90 deg turns - thought someone had found some little fix I don't know about.
The "fix" is to not use poorly designed frames with full-length housing routed internally and held in place with flimsy plastic clips.

I'd recommend regular brake housing instead of the stiff compressionless stuff, but that might make the rear brake too spongy, because, you know, full-length housing... Maybe you know this and that's why you're using it.

Unfortunately there's not a good solution here. Just do your best and make sure the housing is in a good position when the bars are straight. On some of these frames you can't turn the handlebars 90 degrees without kinking something.