Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

frames built for 26-inch wheels with horizontal dropouts?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 04:11 PM
pophuerna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there any frames available designed to work with 26-inch wheels (ETRTO 559 mm) and rim brakes that feature horizontal rear-facing dropouts?

I want to build a small-frame, single-speed bike with medium-width tires like 1.5 or 2 inches. Tires wide enough that the massive cracks and potholes are not such a hazard to a newbie rider. The closest type of frame I've found is 90's mountain bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts. I'd rather have horizontal rear-facing dropouts and use chain tensioners. The other problem is that 90's mountain bike frames with threaded forks end up kind of heavy and I am trying to build something really light like a track bike so that my newbie rider can carry the bike up and down stairs and not get exhausted. Thanks.
Old 01-30-22, 07:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by pophuerna
Are there any frames available designed to work with 26-inch wheels (ETRTO 559 mm) and rim brakes that feature horizontal rear-facing dropouts?

I want to build a small-frame, single-speed bike with medium-width tires like 1.5 or 2 inches. Tires wide enough that the massive cracks and potholes are not such a hazard to a newbie rider. The closest type of frame I've found is 90's mountain bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts. I'd rather have horizontal rear-facing dropouts and use chain tensioners. The other problem is that 90's mountain bike frames with threaded forks end up kind of heavy and I am trying to build something really light like a track bike so that my newbie rider can carry the bike up and down stairs and not get exhausted. Thanks.
I think you can accomplish whatever you want without track ends.
Old 02-02-22, 01:16 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 205 Posts
I built this 26 inch Fuji SJ-10 for the bike co op.

Here is another Fuji SJ-10 on Ebay.

Here is a cheaper bike, the Galaxy 2 from Korea. It also has 26 inch wheels. I have one.

There are so many Murray and Huffy made 10 speeds with 26 inch wheels, but those are TERRIBLE quality.

You could also use a 26 inch mountain bike frame. I see so many of those in small sizes. A lot of the older ones have horizontal dropouts.

I see a lot of old 3 speeds with 26 inch wheels like my German one.

Old 02-02-22, 11:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
How about a 26" BMX cruiser? Almost every BMX manufacturer makes one, they all easily fit 2" tires and have rear-facing dropouts. None are super light weight, but they're durable and really fun.

Old 02-03-22, 11:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Track derpouts are overrated. Some of the 1980's mountain bikes were made out of relatively light tubing, they just command a higher price in return. Components make a big difference in the final bike weight, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-05-22, 12:01 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Just picked up this 1991 Skykomish Marble Point. Never heard of Skykomish? Well neither did I but if you lived in the PNW and while gobbling up free food samples at your local Costco, you might’ve glanced at this little beast. Thin-tubed Tange 5 cro-mo with Shimano 200GS components, Araya rims.
PRO: sweet “horsehair” splatter paint job, sexy horizontal top tube, smidge of a forward facing horizontal dropout. Almost totally rust-free.
CON: 37 pounds (THREE-SEVEN) as purchased! Hell that saddle and seatpost weighed 4 lbs.
I usually turn up my nose up at bikes from big box stores like Walmart and Sears but I couldn’t resist and I was bored. My build goal is tarmac only SS setup with fat slicks, 48/17 gearing and bullhorns. Wish me luck in my journey to shed 10 lbs or more.

Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 02-06-22, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,114 Times in 2,747 Posts
Honestly not a terrible thing, sure heavy but that can be over come in different ways but overall it looks like a decent bike. Cheap but not crap. Tange tubing is decent enough and it looks like non-proprietary components and has a sweet paint job. Plus the name could be fun

Sky Komish
A story of one Police Commissioner who just couldn't stay on the ground.
Executive Producer: Dick Wolf
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-12-22, 12:27 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sky Komish
A story of one Police Commissioner who just couldn't stay on the ground.
Executive Producer: Dick Wolf
LOL that’s exactly how I read it too. Like Sky Commissioner. Then I found out Skykomish is a remote little town in Washington state (the home of Costco) known for nature hiking trails. I’ll still hold out hope that The Skykomish is up there, solving crimes and catching criminals in the clouds.
Old 02-12-22, 12:44 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Just picked up this 1991 Skykomish Marble Point. Never heard of Skykomish? Well neither did I but if you lived in the PNW and while gobbling up free food samples at your local Costco, you might’ve glanced at this little beast. Thin-tubed Tange 5 cro-mo with Shimano 200GS components, Araya rims.

Forgot about that era of bike manufacturer bait-and-switch, tubing decal subdivision. The decal tells it like it is, if you read it correctly: the frame consists of a single plain-gauge Tange 5 cro-mo seat tube, with gas pipe everywhere else. Even Trek pulled that one with their model 800 bike for a while.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-12-22, 01:19 PM
Wilbur76

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Forgot about that era of bike manufacturer bait-and-switch, tubing decal subdivision. The decal tells it like it is, if you read it correctly: the frame consists of a single plain-gauge Tange 5 cro-mo seat tube, with gas pipe everywhere else. Even Trek pulled that one with their model 800 bike for a while.
Yup I heard about that practice too. Confirmed with the stripped down frame weighing a whopping 7 (SEVEN) pounds. Lucky for me I live in a zero elevation city so it’ll live its new life as a tarmac-only fitness bike. My legs will get so ripped after a ride.