Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID old Bridgestone

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID old Bridgestone

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-22, 07:18 AM
Willem208

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Help ID old Bridgestone

Hey from South Africa!
Newbie here, on the search for an old (mountain) bike to convert into a touring rig.
I came across this old Bridgestone for a great price today.
Lugged steel frame by the looks of it and Shimano Altus components.
I'm thinking it's an old XO series but not sure.
Will it make a good touring rig and is it worth getting?
I'll post photos soon as I can.
Old 02-28-22, 07:24 AM
Willem208

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I still need to make a bunch of posts before uploading photos.
Old 02-28-22, 07:26 AM
Willem208

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Getting there... 😁
Old 02-28-22, 07:40 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
XOs are VERY highly regarded by many (including me) if that's what it is. As for "is it worth getting" that's certainly going to be up to you, but might be.

--- if you add photos to your gallery someone here can link to this thread.
Old 02-28-22, 07:57 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Those are Bridgestone's die cast aluminum lugs. That and what appears to be a nude, stainless steel, seat tube has me leaning towards a Submariner variant. The lugs were brittle and there was an issue with binder bolts ears cracking on the seat lugs, so they eliminated the ears and went to a seat post with an internal expander bolt. The seat lug on this bicycle still has the ears so it's early to mid-1970s and I'm leaning towards the latter based on the stem mounted shift and brake safety levers. The Altus front derailleur would appear to be a replacement, as the shift levers and rear derailleur are period correct SunTour and the Altus is too new for the bicycle.

In America, the Submariners typically came with aluminum rims and all three main tubes were nude stainless steel. These rims look like steel and only the seat tube is nude, so that's why I'm calling it a variant of the Submariner. It would be interesting to test all three main tubes with a magnet to determine their degree of magnetism. Also, the serial number should reveal the exact year of manufacture.

Photo assist...

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-28-22 at 08:01 AM.
Likes For T-Mar: