Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless doesn't work on Fulcrum racing 900 rim

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 05:45 AM
mikethe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I used good tubeless conversion kit, tires, watched all the how to's and did the job pretty carefully and thoroughly.
However, after inflation, it slowly runs out flat after 2-3 hours.
Inspecting I can't see distinct places of leakage.
So, I wonder - Can it be that actually the Fulcrum racing 900 rim brakes version, can't be converted to tubeless?
Thanks,
Old 04-09-22, 06:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,927 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by mikethe
Hi,
I used good tubeless conversion kit, tires, watched all the how to's and did the job pretty carefully and thoroughly.
However, after inflation, it slowly runs out flat after 2-3 hours.
Inspecting I can't see distinct places of leakage.
So, I wonder - Can it be that actually the Fulcrum racing 900 rim brakes version, can't be converted to tubeless?
Thanks,
Yes, this is correct. https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/sup...-en/racing-900
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-09-22, 07:17 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Liked 390 Times in 219 Posts
I would NEVER recommend using a rim not designed for road tubeless for road tubeless - even using tubeless road tires.

Trying to convert a non tubeless rim to tubeless is a recipe for absolute disaster.
Old 04-09-22, 08:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
I would NEVER recommend using a rim not designed for road tubeless for road tubeless - even using tubeless road tires.

Trying to convert a non tubeless rim to tubeless is a recipe for absolute disaster.
For the most part, I'd agree with you, but it really depends on why the wheel isn't designated for tubeless use.

If the rim doesn't have the correct tubeless rim bed profile, I'd agree with you 100% - don't do it.

However, I have wheels that *do* have a tubeless profile but aren't designated as being tubeless ready, by the manufacturer, only because the seam isn't welded and airtight. In this case, I was just careful with the rim tape width and application - they mounted and sealed up just dandy and have been problem-free for six years or so.

So yeah, for the most part, I wouldn't advocate conversion, but there are some odd cases where the knowledgeable can use their judgement.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-22, 10:26 AM
mikethe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For the most part, I'd agree with you, but it really depends on why the wheel isn't designated for tubeless use.

If the rim doesn't have the correct tubeless rim bed profile, I'd agree with you 100% - don't do it.

However, I have wheels that *do* have a tubeless profile but aren't designated as being tubeless ready, by the manufacturer, only because the seam isn't welded and airtight. In this case, I was just careful with the rim tape width and application - they mounted and sealed up just dandy and have been problem-free for six years or so.

So yeah, for the most part, I wouldn't advocate conversion, but there are some odd cases where the knowledgeable can use their judgement.
So that was my problem: I mistakenly assumed "to be ready" means only taping.
Aftermath, I can tell that "generally" speaking a tubeless tire fitted flawlessly, but probably that's not enough for actual "correct tubeless rim bed profile".
Practically, I can tell, I was able to ride up to 60km/h incl. cornering-that indeed fell strange (but I assumed maybe new tires etc.), but in the end, yeah, after 3 hours slowly flat tire...
Old 04-09-22, 11:01 AM
WhyFi

So that was my problem: I mistakenly assumed "to be ready" means only taping.
Aftermath, I can tell that "generally" speaking a tubeless tire fitted flawlessly, but probably that's not enough for actual "correct tubeless rim bed profile".
Practically, I can tell, I was able to ride up to 60km/h incl. cornering-that indeed fell strange (but I assumed maybe new tires etc.), but in the end, yeah, after 3 hours slowly flat tire...
This is what the rim profile should look like -

Most tubeless rims will also have a little bead retaining bump/ridge on the inside portion of the "bead shelf," next to the dropped center channel.
Old 04-09-22, 11:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

In the specific case of these wheels, the Fulcrum description of "Tyre Type" is "Clincher." For the disc version, Racing 900DB, "Tyre Type" is shown as "2-Way Fit Ready (for clincher and tubeless ready."
Old 04-09-22, 12:54 PM
mikethe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
In the specific case of these wheels, the Fulcrum description of "Tyre Type" is "Clincher." For the disc version, Racing 900DB, "Tyre Type" is shown as "2-Way Fit Ready (for clincher and tubeless ready."
Yes-that's exactly the confusing part: There is a description for the DB version, but none for the RB version. So I simply assumed it's the same as for the DB version.
Old 04-09-22, 12:59 PM
mikethe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is what the rim profile should look like -

Most tubeless rims will also have a little bead retaining bump/ridge on the inside portion of the "bead shelf," next to the dropped center channel.
Now we are talking: Yep, mine is actually the right one - with the dropped channel.
So what's going on here? Might be something else preventing from being ready for tubeless conversion?
Old 04-09-22, 02:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes-that's exactly the confusing part: There is a description for the DB version, but none for the RB version. So I simply assumed it's the same as for the DB version.
The link in post #2 goes directly to the description of the rim brake version.
Old 04-09-22, 03:04 PM
WhyFi

Now we are talking: Yep, mine is actually the right one - with the dropped channel.
So what's going on here? Might be something else preventing from being ready for tubeless conversion?
Hard to say - you'd have to see if you can get an answer out of the manufacturer. Not sure how easy that would be with Fulcrum. It may be that, like my wheels that I'd previously mentioned, the seam wasn't welded, as a cost-saving measure, and so it's not as airtight as they'd like.