Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice on new endurance bike: Canyon, Orro, or something else?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 02:41 PM
Guff
Rode Rash

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I've found two I really like, and price points that I can afford. Canyon Endurace CF7 etap (Rival) and ORRO Gold STC Di2 R500DB. Both are 2022.
I'm open to other options, though I like the idea of riding on something less commonly seen on roads here.
The Canyon is around $4k and ORRO around $5k Canadian (plus shipping and import duties)
I'm in my late 40's, and mainly do 40-100km rides in a rural region of Ontario, Canada full of rolling and punchy hills.
Currently riding old bikes - 2010 Scott Team CX (mainly used as a road bike with 25mm road tires) and occasionally I'll ride my Cervelo P2 (from my triathlon days) and a Specialized Mountain bike for a forest ride.
I don't race except for an occasional event with my local bike club - a local TT (on my TT bike), a club group ride, and an occasional Fondo.

The ORRO's drive train seems better to me.... Di2 Ultegra 12 speed > SRAM etap Rival 12 speed????

The wheels I've no idea about: Canyon has DT Swiss Endurance LN, ORRO has Fulcrum R500 DB. Both look unexciting.

The ORRO has a max tire clearance of 28mm, the Canyon 35mm, but I don't imagine I'll ever ride anything fatter than 28mm on roads.

Both are pretty. Colour and frame aesthetic does not really sway me either way.

Does anyone have any opinions, thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-10-22, 03:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,211 Times in 6,782 Posts
I can't comment on the groupset, but I can tell you that I like my 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL 7 Disc (that's a long model name!). It's comfy and fast, and reasonably light.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-13-22, 07:01 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Liked 242 Times in 121 Posts
Having had Di2 and eTap, I prefer eTap. No wires to route or damage, coupled with quick and easy charging, and the ability to just bring a spare battery for piece of mind on multi day rides.

I currently ride a Canyon Grail CF SLX-8 with SRAM AXS.
Old 07-13-22, 01:22 PM
Guff
Rode Rash

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I ended up getting the Canyon. The Orro medium is borderline small for me (and large is put of stock) while the Canyon medium is perfect size and was in stocks. Plus nearly a $1000 difference is a lot of money. I'm sure I'll be very happy with the Endurace

Originally Posted by sarhog
Having had Di2 and eTap, I prefer eTap. No wires to route or damage, coupled with quick and easy charging, and the ability to just bring a spare battery for piece of mind on multi day rides.

I currently ride a Canyon Grail CF SLX-8 with SRAM AXS.
Likes For Guff:
Old 07-14-22, 10:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX, Guru steel & Guru Photon

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts
My Cannondale bike shop prefers eTap for all the reasons stated here. My GF bought a Canyon Ultimate and it is extraordinary. I find Canyon's sizing to be difficult at best. But, if it fits I'd have no worries about a Canyon. Her bike w/o pedals weighs about 15 lbs.