Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pitney Bowes Efficiency/Responsibility Level

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 12:09 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Liked 1,055 Times in 524 Posts

I order cycling parts/frames from England and France on a pretty consistent basis on Ebay. Most of the times, the item gets shipped out by Royal Mail or Colissimo and the next step is that it arrives at Customs in N.Y.C. (I live on the east coast) and the U.S.P.S. picks it up directly. In May, when the package got to the U.S. Customs, it was revealed that the handler (apparently all the way from England) was something called Pitney Bowes. This interaction was memorable, because the package ( a rare tire) never arrived. Most of my items are not handled by this service. Now, almost two weeks late is a set of rare (1940's) rims. I went online to check their customer service rating, and it is very close to an even 1 out of 5 stars. Although some customers are complaining about their postage machine service (Pitney Bowes made their name with these) or lack-thereof, many cite late and disappearing packages. I guess what I want someone to tell me is that everything is going to be all right. Have you had an experience, good or bad, with this handler?
Old 10-08-22, 01:19 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,685 Times in 1,148 Posts
I know they do a lot of contract freight hauling for the USPS (letters and packages) as their trucks are always going in-and-out of a large mail handling facility next to a Home Depot I frequent. I'll bet some of those letters and packages are mine. I've never had any issues with stuff sent to me or from me when handles by USPS. Besides those postage machines and the freight I know they do printing and pre-sorting of mail ('junk mail'), too.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-08-22, 03:40 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only experience I've had with them is shipping for H&M clothing returns (I think Pitney Bowes is H&M's default shipping service). Those all worked out but that was domestic shipping.

Pitney Bowes is a super old company (publicly traded since the 1920s). My assumption here is that customs is the problem, but if this is your 2nd late package and online reviews are corroborating your experience then maybe they're a once-effectic now falling from grace service. They're definitely not a young, no-name company though.
Likes For arewolfe: