Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Nuova Alloro ID, Please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 10:30 PM
TLaurent 

Bikes: CBT Italia, 73 Peugeot, Gary Fisher Joshua, John Deere custom hybrid, K2 EasyRider, Yakota tandem, Pinarello Montello, Colnago Mexico, Gitane Tandem

Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts

Picked up this Bianchi Nuova Alloro for riding while visiting family in San Diego. I lived there for 30 years and visit frequently and wanted a nice vintage bike to keep up my daily rides. I think it’s a 1986 model but have not yet found the catalogs to confirm. I don’t understand why there are some “nuovo” and “nuova” models and the pantograph on the fork seems to vary between the Eagle and the B around this time. Also, the rear dropouts indicate a racing model while some Nouvo Alloro models have rack mounts. The stem is oddly anodized. The wheels do not match but the hubs do, so the front has likely been replaced due to the crash evidence of a bent fork, cracked paint, and rust. This would be a nice candidate for the ‘Is this fork bent?’ thread! The pics were taken before clean/tune up and I put 40 miles on it in three days. My toes hit the front wheel on turns but it otherwise is a nice ride. Specs as-is:

Bianchi Nuova Alloro
Serial - 6 L 2239
Foderi Forcella Matrix Columbus decals
Campy Nuovo Record derailleurs and shifters, rear pat. 11
Gipiemme Sprint cranks, 170mm, 065149
Gipiemme seatpost
Gipiemme headset
Gipiemme Sprint hubs
Modolo Flash brakes
Shimano 105 brake levers
ITM stem and bars. Stem is anodized and has Bianchi pantograph
Mavic G4 back rim
Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elite front rim
Bianchi suede saddle
Came with Shimano clipless and replaced with MKS pedals

Old 11-01-22, 01:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,121 Times in 1,590 Posts
Nice looking Bianchi. The Matrix sticker seems odd but I’m pretty sure this is an ‘86. Could be Canadian that might explain the Matrix, usless it’s was added after the Formula Two decal was removed for unknown reason.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-01-22, 05:53 AM
Kabuki12

Liked 2,346 Times in 1,315 Posts
That is nice, would love to see pics of it after you cleaned it up. Keep an eye on it for cracking . My friend had a front end accident on his Columbus tube Schwinn Circuit and it was fine , no bent fork or any damage to the frame that we could see , other than the wheel. He replaced the front wheel and rode it. He was riding quite a bit, several times a week , and a year later the head tube split while on a ride. The crack went in a spiral pattern up the length of the head tube. He said it felt like he had a flat. A local frame builder up in Santa Barbara said it could not be fixed but I bet Ed Litten could’ve fixed it.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-01-22, 07:36 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
The subject frame was manufactured in 1986 but late enough in the year that it could be a 1987. However, most characteristics point towards a 1986 model. The component mix is decidedly 1986, with the obvious exception of the Shimano components and a replaement rim/wheel.

The front fork certainly looks odd with the fender eyelets, while the rear dropout has none. Speaking of the rear dropout, the 1986 catalogue calls for Bianchi dropouts, while this bicycle has the 1987 spec Gipiemme dropouts. Also, it has a Matrix decal, when Formula Two is spec'd for both years. I've always believed that Formula Two was simply rebranded Columbus Matrix/Cromor, so I don't think the particular decal makes any difference. Having said that, we've seen a couple of other Nuovo Alloro turn up with this exact same combination, so it does appear to be OEM. It appears to be some late 1986 transition version.

As noted, the fork is definitely bent. The chipped and cracked paint on the lower head lug indicates that the frame is also bent, though typically this would occur on the downtube, just below the lug, where the butting ends. This bicycle took a substantial front end hit.

The Alloro transitioned to the Nuovo Alloro for the 1986 model year, at which time it lost the dropout eyelets (on the rear) and the fork crown embossing changed from the B, to the eagle. However, it was always considered a mid-range, competition model.

The correct spelling is Nuovo. A lot of people also type/write/say Campagnola instead of Campagnolo. I think a lot of it has to do with the poorly replicated Italian accents we see and hear on television. Given the number of Bianchi that I see without model name decals, I'm also wondering if the factory shipped some models without decals and the installation was left to importer or even the dealer? This makes sense when you consider that many model names were market specific. The importers may even have been responsible for having the decals created in these cases, which could explain spelling errors like this. However, I wouldn't think that importers would like to open and reseal cartons to apply model name decals. Still, they could have slipped them in through the handling holes in the cartons, leaving them for the dealers to apply.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-01-22 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-02-22, 07:12 AM
TLaurent 

Bikes: CBT Italia, 73 Peugeot, Gary Fisher Joshua, John Deere custom hybrid, K2 EasyRider, Yakota tandem, Pinarello Montello, Colnago Mexico, Gitane Tandem

Thank you Bianchigirll , Kabuki12 , and T-Mar ! So much knowledge here. Agree that the Matrix sticker looks odd and I have yet to find an example of the decal with the rounded top of the unreadable seat tube one. I will search the Formula Two examples. The fender eyelets on the original also have me puzzled. The mistaken “Nuova” makes sense and I appreciate the explanation. The bent fork and head tube makes me a little nervous so I plan to have it looked at and possibly straightened the next time that I’m with the bike. It’s currently stored on Mt. Helix which is where Joe Bell has a shop. Serendipitous!
Old 11-02-22, 07:47 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by TLaurent
... Agree that the Matrix sticker looks odd and I have yet to find an example of the decal with the rounded top of the unreadable seat tube one...
I believe that is a standard (rectangular with rounded corners) Matrix decal. It has just been severely chewed up, probably from a repair stand clamp. In your picture you can see the outline of the original shape, particularly the lower left quadrant. Here's a photo of the Matrix decal on another Nuovo Alloro.

Old 11-02-22, 02:58 PM
TLaurent 

Severely indeed. Exceptional sleuthing!