Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 02:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Seriously, do you guys read any of my responses? I fully understand this and have already addressed it, as evidenced by my prior statement, which I will reiterate verbatim:
Your comparison of insurance to lotteries shows you are nowhere near "fully understanding this".

"Respondents, I am not saying we as a society shouldn't utilize insurance. It's probably better if everyone has slightly less money as opposed to most people having slightly more and a not insignificant percentage having their lives devastated."
Not sure I follow your reasoning. Yes, obviously I'd like to recover the bikes. Doesn't change the fact the purchasing insurance is a losing proposition.

We are all aware (I would hope) that purchasing lottery tickets is on average a losing proposition by a significant margin. However, we can find numerous instances of individuals who've made a net profit playing the lottery. Does that invalidate the fact that lottery players lose money on average?

Same reasoning applies here. Yes, I may indeed have experienced negative variance, but purchasing insurance is still on average a losing proposition.
You contradict your earlier statement by pounding on the idea that insurance is a "losing proposition by a significant margin". If it's a "losing proposition", "society shouldn't utilize it".

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-03-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-03-22, 03:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
"Essentially, the point of insurance is to spread the risk (cost of a loss) across a population. That is, everybody is bearing the cost of small insurance payments to avoid a small risk of a large loss."

Seriously, do you guys read any of my responses? I fully understand this and have already addressed it, as evidenced by my prior statement, which I will reiterate verbatim:

"
Respondents, I am not saying we as a society shouldn't utilize insurance. It's probably better if everyone has slightly less money as opposed to most people having slightly more and a not insignificant percentage having their lives devastated."

"
That service isn't going to be free."

Well, obviously.
You don't understand it, even though it has repeatedly (and in different terms) been explained to you.

Financially, insurance does NOT leave "everyone" with "slightly less money." This statement that you keep repeating is just plain wrong. Incorrect. False.

Insurance provides benefits NOT JUST to claims recipients, but to ALL PEOPLE WHO PURCHASE IT. That is WHY they purchase it. The fact that you can't recognize it DOES NOT change the logic or reality.

I'm guessing that this lost bike (which could've been insured - d'oh!) might be the most valuable thing you own, in which case it may be an iota more difficult for you to understand why others might willingly insure their $50K cars and $500K houses. But it's really not that hard to understand. At least it's not for most people.

Last edited by Koyote; 11-03-22 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-03-22, 05:48 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You don't understand it, even though it has repeatedly (and in different terms) been explained to you.

Financially, insurance does NOT leave "everyone" with "slightly less money." This statement that you keep repeating is just plain wrong. Incorrect. False.

Insurance provides benefits NOT JUST to claims recipients, but to ALL PEOPLE WHO PURCHASE IT. That is WHY they purchase it. The fact that you can't recognize it DOES NOT change the logic or reality.

I'm guessing that this lost bike (which could've been insured - d'oh!) might be the most valuable thing you own, in which case it may be an iota more difficult for you to understand why others might willingly insure their $50K cars and $500K houses. But it's really not that hard to understand. At least it's not for most people.
Nah, I have a couple of bikes worth more and my car is worth 2k or so.
Old 11-03-22, 06:37 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
my car is worth 2k or so.
2k? Does it run?
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-03-22, 06:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Nah, I have a couple of bikes worth more and my car is worth 2k or so.
You should come back to this thread when you own something that's worth insuring.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 06:56 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by smd4
2k? Does it run?
Like a champ.
Old 11-03-22, 06:57 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by Koyote
You should come back to this thread when you own something that's worth insuring.
I own multiple bikes more valuable than the ones lost in shipping, and I received multiple lectures for not insuring those. Make up your mind.
Old 11-04-22, 07:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
2k? Does it run?
Runs fine downhill.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-04-22, 04:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
As far as shipping insurance. Most of the shipping damage I've encountered has been due to poorly packed items. And despite selling the insurance, the shipping companies are reluctant to reimburse for damages related to poor packing.

With computers, it is common to have all items controlled so they won't bounce around in the box, and the whole item surrounded by 2" of foam.

Bicycles seem to cram too much stuff into an undersized box.

Unfortunately it becomes a problem for E-Bay purchases where a buyer purchases an item with the expectation that it will be carefully packed and shipped to arrive intact. And a seller claims it was good when it left their control. Although I've had at least one item that I wondered if it was shipped broken. Why on earth would a seller have packed a power supply loose on top of a glass computer screen?

The OP's item was different since the label somehow wasn't scanning properly, and should have been replaced with a valid label.
Likes For CliffordK: