Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cover delaminating off saddle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 11:55 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I have an old Spenco saddle that is still in good shape except for the lycra cover that has almost completely delaminated from the saddle. Has anyone had success trying to glue this back on? What product did you use? I'm thinking about rubber cement and then vacuum bagging it.

Old 11-11-22, 12:09 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I use a heavy duty spray adhesive on my pleather covers. The active can is from Gorilla glue. Don't see why it wouldn't work on lycra. I'd test it first to see if it bleeds through. Like the idea of vacuum bagging, but sadly just another tool I don't have.
Old 11-11-22, 12:52 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I use a heavy duty spray adhesive on my pleather covers. The active can is from Gorilla glue. Don't see why it wouldn't work on lycra. I'd test it first to see if it bleeds through. Like the idea of vacuum bagging, but sadly just another tool I don't have.
Does the spray adhesive hold up long term? My vacuum bagger is just a food vacuum bagging machine. Nothing fancy.
Old 11-11-22, 02:25 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I spray both surfaces and let dry for a minute or so. Then press them together. Its held up well under heat and sweat on the top. The bottom underwrap can come loose, but I think that's the fault of the tool holder not the tool. I've got one of those food vacuum machines. I'll have to try that next time. Luck
Old 11-11-22, 08:57 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
You might get it to hold for a while, but lycra is porous and it stretches. I imagine after a few hundred miles of sweaty rides you'll be trying to glue it all over again. Seriously, consider investing in a better saddle. REI has plenty of them for $50 or less.
Old 11-11-22, 09:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 886 Posts
In these situations where I want to save a saddle I like but the existing cover is failing, I've used aftermarket spandex covers that slip over the saddle. Unfortunately, Kucharik has left this market (although I did buy much of their closeout stock), and I think Aardvark still offers them - search on the terms shows them available at various prices, including $33-$40 for a 10-pack (in case you want to redo the entire fleet).

If using an aftermarket saddle cover, don't trust the built-in elastic on the edges. I supplement this with thin wire passed thru the cover fabric under the saddle and gathered / tied - that holds the cover on for the duration.