Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What to use to clean a really dirty drivetrain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What to use to clean a really dirty drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 09:47 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
An old tooth brush and Dawn dish soap. I mean it.
Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 12-12-22, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would not soak metal parts in a solvent overnight. Some solvents can encourage hydrogen embrittlement if left in contact long enough. Now spraying a layer of WD40 on the parts to be cleaned to start the softening up is fine. Kerosene is a well proven solvent that won't hurt metals. After use if the Kerosene is left still the grit will settle out and good/clean kerosine can be poured off for use again. Andy
Thanks Andy, going through my parents garage I found kerosene for a kerosene lamp (old parents planning for end of world stuff) and I'd read that it's a good degreaser. There's a lot of it, so will keep some for the very rare times I need to do this.
Old 12-12-22, 07:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I agree with Andy. Kerosene, or it's less smelly and cleaner evaporating cousin OMS (odorless mineral spirits), are the most effective degreasers and can be reused by letting the dirt settle and decanting the clear solvent. Kerosene is available by the gallon at many gas stations and OMS in any paint store or big box home store.

DO NOT use gasoline.
And thanks to you HR also re kerosene