Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 Customized

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek 520 Customized

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 12:00 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Get a proper woman's saddle on it ! ! Over the past 40years or so, I've known exactly one woman that rode leather and I'm sure that she did it just because it was macho. And there wasn't anything where she didn't know better - kwim?
Ha, I think everyone wants the look of a Brooks but most won't put the time in to break it in. There are loads of near new Brooks being sold on the secondary market around here. I bought the one in the pictures for $50 or $60 used. I shot the bike with this saddle but she bought a shorter one for herself. I expect her to give it to me once she decides it is uncomfortable! Maybe not...
Old 12-23-22, 12:09 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Nice bike. I like the secondary brake levers and single friction shifter. The whole look is great!

For my bike I bought a Pelago front rack, the only larger platform (three different size options!), quality front rack I could find that's connected to the eyelets and also offers a really solid low-rider option (via a different set of rack legs). I wish I'd found it a couple of front racks ago.
Old 12-23-22, 12:11 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
Btw both my sister's ride sprung brooks saddles.
Old 12-23-22, 12:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1307 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 5,980 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I tend to gripe at p-clips being used to attach front racks to forks on what is otherwise such a clean and streamlined build. A rack that attaches to the front brake (for canti or mafac equipped bikes) or to the front eyelets is a much better choice to me.
Totally agree, but the counterpoint that @Andy_K brought up about having to repaint at least the fork is something to consider. I have a couple of bikes with P-clips for different reasons.

My Zero Bike has P-clips. The paint job on chrome and pinstriping were just too nice for me to take a torch to it.

Photo courtesy of @djkashuba - note also the generator headlight wiring wrapped around the rack stay, another opportunity for customization

My winter commuter is a Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s) with a 5 speed IGH hub. I've been planning on stripping it down and adding cable guides, rack mounts, etc. The brake bridge is too low and pushes the fender down, making a less than optimal fender line. I'll fix all that someday, but probably only after I retire. Then I won't be commuting to work anymore!
Old 12-23-22, 06:33 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Wow that thing is nearly perfect, good job! I'm sure she loves it.

I tend to gripe at p-clips being used to attach front racks to forks on what is otherwise such a clean and streamlined build. A rack that attaches to the front brake (for canti or mafac equipped bikes) or to the front eyelets is a much better choice to me. Only mentioning that as you asked for some constructive critique. It's ultimately not a big deal and likely something the new owner will never think about.
If I get to do a custom again, one that gets painted or powder coated, I will definitely add the mounting points. It didn't cross my mind and would have been a minor expenditure considering the total build cost.
Likes For gazman22: